#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

I've done a few batches in a row now.  I do take a slight efficiency hit.  Probably around 5% on most beers.  I used to regularly hit 75-85%.  now I'm more like 70-75% I guess.  has that been others experience as well?  I know the BIAB guys might do a little better since they leave less wort in the grain.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:36 AM

I hit about 70-72% most times.  Same as I had with sparging.  Never really understood why I could not crack the 70% window.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:38 AM

I hit about 70-72% most times.  Same as I had with sparging.  Never really understood why I could not crack the 70% window.

I haven't done anything high gravity yet but I think I would start to run out of space in my tun and given the likely even higher hit in efficiency I think I'll do a batch sparge when I try something big.  that maibock thread has me thinking that in a couple of months I'll revive my staro-prauge and give it a go :D

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

how does it really work, you mash with full volume?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:08 AM

how does it really work, you mash with full volume?

Pretty much it.

What you want for preboil plus any losses to dead-space and grain absorption.

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

Nice, I might have to try that. Do you have any method of increasing temp for a mashout? or is that not a concern?

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:19 AM

Nice, I might have to try that. Do you have any method of increasing temp for a mashout? or is that not a concern?

I have a RIMS so I still do it.  I am not sure others do though.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

I've done a few batches in a row now.  I do take a slight efficiency hit.  Probably around 5% on most beers.  I used to regularly hit 75-85%.  now I'm more like 70-75% I guess.  has that been others experience as well?  I know the BIAB guys might do a little better since they leave less wort in the grain.

Yep, almost exactly.

Mashout is completely unnecessary IMO.

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

Yep, almost exactly.

After only 3 BIAB's I agree with this.  The first one I reserved about a gallon just to raise the mash before draining the bag.  The next two without.  All three at the same efficiencies.  Also I went from a shitty 65% typical efficiency with a tun to 70% with BIAB.  So it goes.  That kinda thing just doesn't bother me.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

Yep, almost exactly.

While I am sure it is not needed it does help me get to boiling faster and only has me changing one button so I still continue to do it.  

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

While I am sure it is not needed it does help me get to boiling faster and only has me changing one button so I still continue to do it.  

Getting to boil faster is one of my few white whales............

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

I don't think I've done one 5-6 years.

yeah - if you have the ability to start heating things up early why not?  I don't think it matters in terms of the final product either way.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:57 AM

With no sparge, efficiency is a sliding scale dependent upon gravity. One of the advantages of no sparge is to eliminate the uncertainty that comes with sparging technique and its impact on OG. An extremely valuable tool to use is Kai's first runnings chart. With that chart you can dial in what your gravity should be for any given grist, assuming 100% conversion. If your missing the predicted OG then you know your not completely gelatinizing or converting/both with your chosen mash temp/schedule.

#14 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

I see the same efficiency hit when I do no sparge. I still don't understand exactly why.    I do my final mash rest at 172 for 10 min for its foam-positive qualities.

#15 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:57 AM

I see the same efficiency hit when I do no sparge. I still don't understand exactly why.    I do my final mash rest at 172 for 10 min for its foam-positive qualities.

So then you also have a pump system where you can heat while you mash? A pump is one of those things I've always wanted, but never got to, but I have a heat stick. I've never put the heat stick in the mash, but if it's full volume, I wouldn't worry much about scorching.

#16 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:04 PM

Yeah,  I have a RIMs system.    You should definitely get a pump!   One more thing to tinker with...

#17 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:20 PM

lol, I've wanted a pump for years, but my brewery is mostly brewer powered  :P

I've finally convinced my wife to let me get a MILL, I'll call that a win and start fantasising about the things I'd do with a pump when I finally get one...in a few years.

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:06 AM

My brewery is brewer powered on all points too.  In fact I even cranked out about 10 batches of grain on my Barley Crusher before going to the electric drill hahaha.

#19 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:11 AM

My brewery is brewer powered on all points too.  In fact I even cranked out about 10 batches of grain on my Barley Crusher before going to the electric drill hahaha.

The guys at my old LHBS knew me. When I'd come in they'd have a beer "sample" waiting for me cause I'd be there for an hour plus milling full sacks of grain by hand. 

Me getting a mill is WAY overdue. :lol:

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

The guys at my old LHBS knew me. When I'd come in they'd have a beer "sample" waiting for me cause I'd be there for an hour plus milling full sacks of grain by hand. 

Me getting a mill is WAY overdue. :lol:

You'll be happy that you did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users