3 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

I had the ingredients for this beer, right down to the slightly out-of-the-ordinary English yeast. Beer Captured describes it thusly: Whitbread Original is a lovely, medium-bodied session beer, almost delicate in taste. The autumnal-colored amber beer pours into the glass with a light beige, tightly beaded head. lemon scented hops on the nose are balanced with sweet malt. Spicy, fruity hops intermingle in the mouth, socializing with bready malt. This easy-drinking bitter finishes bittersweet and hoppy. A wonderful beer to share with friends on a lazy afternoon.

I did have to slightly adjust the hops (subbing out Target with Kents that I have), but all the numbers are right there.

Whitbread Original

7.50 lbs UK Pale Malt
14 oz British Crystal 55°L
4 oz Torrified Wheat

1 oz Styrian Goldings @ 3.5% plus ½ oz Kent Goldings 4.2% for 60 minutes (5.6 AAU)
¾ oz Styrian Goldings 3.5% for 15 minutes
¼ oz Styrian Goldings 3.5% plus ½ oz Kent Goldings 4.2% for 1 minute

Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale yeast

OG: 1.049, FG: 1.012, IBU: 31, SRM: 9, ABV: 4.8%

Cheers!

Drinking a few of these right now (Sat, 4/11)...
Posted Image
I really enjoy these English Ales with their bready, minerally profile. I thought I detected a bit of diacetyl in the first 2 gallons from the keg, but it seems to be fading. Next time I make it (and I will make it again...), I may warm it up just a bit at the end of primary to take care of the diacetyl earlier in the process. Cheers.

#2 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

Nice pic as usual ken! Looks delicious. I'll let you know how my comp bitter comes out, seeing as if shares some similarities with your recipe here :devil:!p.s. was this your Whitbread Flowers from the greenboard?

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

p.s. was this your Whitbread Flowers from the greenboard?

Yes. I'm really happy with the way it came out and the yeast has this bready, crackery thing going on. Really, really nice beer all the way around. The Kent Goldings (I think mine were US Kent) and the Styrian Goldings blend nicely and work well in this beer. Cheerio! :devil:

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

This week I woke up this harvested 1099 (in the fridge since 3/11) with a small starter. There has been some talk about "English Summer Ales" and I envisioned making this beer and removing the British Crystal 55°L and replacing it with a combination of Vienna and Crystal 10 (7 oz each). I made the beer on Tuesday and it has been fermenting around 60° and smells lovely. Imagine the picture in the above post with a bright, clear, gold beer in it... that's what it should look like. The Kents I had were a little higher AA% so the IBUs went from 31 to 33 and the SRM went from 9 to 5. I mentioned somewhere else that when I poured the beer off the top of the harvested slurry, it smelled just like Saltine crackers... weird, but yummy. I brought some of this Whitbread beer to a brewpub last night and had a few people try it and one of the local homebrewers said, "Hmm, I guess I get a little cracker aroma..." and I had him take a drop of the beer and rub it on the back of his hand... take a sniff... Saltines! Weird. I will post a pic when it's ready. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users