#1 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:00 AM

I'm done with my LHBS. I went in yesterday and they had moved across the street. They were in a temporary location while work was being done in their building, and they had just moved back. 

Turns out, they also got a license to make wine and cider. So, they didn't want lacto in the air near their fermenters. This means no more mill. 

Why would I buy grain from you if I can't crush it!? They did say that they sell their mills at cost now to help compensate, but that's still a small chunk of change. (BTW, anyone know where I can get a good mill for cheap?)

I'm so done with that place. They are closest to me since I moved last year, and I gave them a pass since they were kicked out of their building so it can get worked on. But man, now this? I actually asked if they were going to keep selling homebrew supplies since they're not being super friendly to the brewing community.

On the plus side I did pick up some Omega Bayern and Hornindal Kveik. I'm looking for a kind of house yeast to make my typically American style ales, so I'll be playing with that for a bit.

then again, on the minus they charged an arm and a leg for those  :(

Anyway, off to find a cheap mill and a better place to buy ingredients online.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:10 AM

What's the name of the place, JB?  I thought I remember hearing of a place in your hood but I can't remember the name.  There are a lot of dodgy local homebrew supply houses around, no question.  I waited a long time to buy my mill because they always just seemed so expensive to me.  I could get milled grain online (yes, at a premium) and I could also mill at most local places.  Eventually I did get a mill... a Barley Crusher which I think was $129.  I've had some issues with it but I believe those issues were my fault.  We're currently on speaking terms.  :P  It's nice to buy whole grains and crush them at home on brewday.  We had a conversation recently that basically poked holes in the whole "buy locally and help out your LHBS!" but there's no reason to do that if the place sucks or gouges on price.  Label Peelers for grain, watch for hop sales at HopsDirect or YCH and Ritebrew in Wisconsin is fairly-priced, close and quick.  

Here's an $89 mill on Amazon... CLICK.

If you could fashion a larger hopper for this one, you could get by for less than $30... CLICK.

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:17 AM

I'm done with my LHBS. I went in yesterday and they had moved across the street. They were in a temporary location while work was being done in their building, and they had just moved back. 

Turns out, they also got a license to make wine and cider. So, they didn't want lacto in the air near their fermenters. This means no more mill. 

Why would I buy grain from you if I can't crush it!? They did say that they sell their mills at cost now to help compensate, but that's still a small chunk of change. (BTW, anyone know where I can get a good mill for cheap?)

I'm so done with that place. They are closest to me since I moved last year, and I gave them a pass since they were kicked out of their building so it can get worked on. But man, now this? I actually asked if they were going to keep selling homebrew supplies since they're not being super friendly to the brewing community.

On the plus side I did pick up some Omega Bayern and Hornindal Kveik. I'm looking for a kind of house yeast to make my typically American style ales, so I'll be playing with that for a bit.

then again, on the minus they charged an arm and a leg for those  :(

Anyway, off to find a cheap mill and a better place to buy ingredients online.

Preach, brother.  My grain go-to now is Label Peelers, per a suggestion from Brother Ken.

And to Ken's point above about the $89 mill, you could make a super-cheap (but effective) hopper out of 2 cereal boxes.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:19 AM

90 bucks is a good price for a mill.  I remember when I was looking back in the day they were a lot more.

Use and old Better Bottle for a hopper.  Or water cooler jug.

Edited by drez77, 22 October 2018 - 09:19 AM.

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:20 AM

It's the homebrew shop in St Charles. In all honesty, I might get the mill from them. It's $85 for a 3 roller mill...so it's actually a pretty good price. But yea, I'm just so frustrated that I've been trying to buy local, and it bites me in the ass cause I don't get what I want.

I've started ordering stuff from ritebrew and LP, so I might just have to do a grain order soon.

:P  Great suggestions for the hoppers!

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, the place I was thinking about was in St. Charles.  The $89 one on Amazon has a nice hopper on it already.  But $85 for a 3-roller jobbie is a good price for a very nice mill (I think Mark/Dark Magneto has the Crankenstein which is a 3-roller) so giddy up on that.  

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

90 for a 3 roller seems like a great price.  What brand is it?

Kind of BS though that they stopped milling grain.  I know I would be pissed about that.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

Anytime I go to a local place for grain, they always ask me if I need to mill it.  It's a nice feeling to say NO because you can mill it at home.  JB, you will like having a mill at home.  

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:50 AM

Anytime I go to a local place for grain, they always ask me if I need to mill it.  It's a nice feeling to say NO because you can mill it at home.  JB, you will like having a mill at home.  

A billion% this.  The convenience alone will be evident after the first batch. 

Being able to crush my own grain, on my schedule, is absolutely invaluable.  It's especially nice to get the grain crushed on brewday while the strike water heats, so the crushed grain is exposed to the open air as little as possible before dough-in.

I don't know that I'd still be homebrewing after 17 years if I didn't have my own mill at home.

#10 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:12 AM

I can't wait to be crushing my own grain. I've been putting this purchase off, but even my wife says it's about time.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

Just use it outside or in the garage or something.  Even if you condition your malt by spritzing it with water first, there is a ton of dust.  

#12 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:18 AM

Just use it outside or in the garage or something.  Even if you condition your malt by spritzing it with water first, there is a ton of dust.  

That's what I do (crush out the garage), mainly b/c fermenation happens in the basement, and I don't want to risk airborne contamination from grain dust.

#13 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the tip. I brew in the garage now anyway, so I'll be outside, though I will probably take it outside the garage to crush.

cheers!

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for the tip. I brew in the garage now anyway, so I'll be outside, though I will probably take it outside the garage to crush.

cheers!

Exactly.  If the weather is cooperative, I'll go outside to mill.  If it's really cold, windy, pouring rain, etc. then I mill in the garage.  It's going to be a nice addition to your brewery.  

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:55 AM

I kind of wonder about crushing where I Brew but when I put the grain in the tun it makes a bunch of dust anyway.

Edited by pickle_rick, 22 October 2018 - 10:56 AM.

#16 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:33 AM

my local for years would only mill up to 3lbs and then start charging you for it. They never carried anything greater than 10lb size for base grain. Another guy took over the shop and at least would sell 50lb sacks at cost so that was great.  I moved to Delaware and the place here will actually kit your grain bill and then mill the entire thing together in a bag sealer kind of thing. Since I now how limited room to store grains it is great that I can buy exactly what I need for each brew and have it milled to boot.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:40 AM

Good customer service!

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:11 AM

my local for years would only mill up to 3lbs and then start charging you for it. They never carried anything greater than 10lb size for base grain. Another guy took over the shop and at least would sell 50lb sacks at cost so that was great.  I moved to Delaware and the place here will actually kit your grain bill and then mill the entire thing together in a bag sealer kind of thing. Since I now how limited room to store grains it is great that I can buy exactly what I need for each brew and have it milled to boot.

I've seen places ask if you want all the grain ordered in one bag as if it were all for one recipe.  I generally don't buy grain that way but it's nice for them to ask.  I guess I understand charging for milling if the shop is doing the milling.  Many shops here have a mill that the customer can use for free.  It's manual.  There is usually grain everywhere.  One place has a sign on the mill... Do you think our mill is nice?  You should try our broom!... hoping the customers will clean up after themselves.

When I had issues with my BC, it was when I started conditioning my grain by misting it with water.  The process calls for misting it and then waiting a bit before milling.  I missed the waiting part that that "just misted" grain would have issues in the mill.  Once I waited for 10+ minutes everything was smooth.  

#19 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:45 AM

Xtreme? Our local bags our crushed grain in paper bags; gets the job done. 

I've been milling my own grain for years now; I brew in a garage; I built a small stand for my mill, and rigged up a small shop vac when i crush, never had an issue with dust; the mill is also 25' away from any other equipment, so that's a help. 

Once I got my hands on a mill, I started to buy grain by the sack, for convenience, and its a little cheaper per lb. My LHBS used to have a semi-annual bulk buy, but the new owners have done away with that practice, which is a shame. I can't justify paying 72 bones for a sack of Avangard Pilsner or Swaen malt for 70. May have to start asking around local breweries to see if i can get a couple of bags when they order.  

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 23 October 2018 - 08:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users