#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:49 AM

Fellas much reading and listening has brought me to want to mix up my routine and use some iodophor to ensure I’m sanitizing my containers. Up till now, I’ve only used Starsan. The iodophor directions don’t say much about risiduals or rinsing etc.

So do I just dump out the iodophor like I would Starsan and fill a keg or fermenter with residual iodophor in these containers??

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:58 AM

I can't remember why I started using Iodophor again.  It was very briefly but I bought some and used it... maybe it was a low-O2 thing and Drez can refresh my memory.  Anyway, Iodophor is no-rinse.  I'm not positive how long you can keep it and use it but I was never into keeping it anyway because I never wanted to risk a batch of beer because I wanted to save 2 capfuls of sanitizer... which I think is the dosing... 2 caps in 5 gallons.  One thing to know... it will stain.  It will stain counters (depending on what kind they are), your clothes, white plastic buckets, tubing, plastic funnels, airlocks, etc.

Drez: Was there a low-O2 reason to use iodophor over Starsan?  I have a relatively brand new bottle of iodophor and I can't think of another reason why I would have it.  

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:30 AM

I can't remember why I started using Iodophor again. It was very briefly but I bought some and used it... maybe it was a low-O2 thing and Drez can refresh my memory. Anyway, Iodophor is no-rinse. I'm not positive how long you can keep it and use it but I was never into keeping it anyway because I never wanted to risk a batch of beer because I wanted to save 2 capfuls of sanitizer... which I think is the dosing... 2 caps in 5 gallons. One thing to know... it will stain. It will stain counters (depending on what kind they are), your clothes, white plastic buckets, tubing, plastic funnels, airlocks, etc.

Drez: Was there a low-O2 reason to use iodophor over Starsan? I have a relatively brand new bottle of iodophor and I can't think of another reason why I would have it.

It was theoretical evidence that starsan was not a complete solution for certain microrganisms (some wild yeast might be resistant to it) and that rotating sanitizers was likely to result in better long term sanitation in your homebrewery. I dont think there were actually aany significant issues that people were having. I use Io occasionally and will bleach my glass from time to time as well. Never had any issues just playing it safe.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:31 AM

Thanks. So would it stain a clear plastic better bottle fermenter and or an SS corny???

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

Thanks. So would it stain a clear plastic better bottle fermenter and or an SS corny???

Probably the BB but not the SS

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:06 AM

The evidence I've read about iodophor is more than theoretical.  In fact, it's convinced me to make iodophor my main sanitizer again.  I have no issues with it.  I have had no staining issues at all, even when I add it to a bucket before adding water.  I can't see any reason it would stain a BB.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Okay thanks.

So the question is.... does it need to completely rinsed out? Or is it okay to have residual in the fermenter or corny when I rack??

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

The evidence I've read about iodophor is more than theoretical. In fact, it's convinced me to make iodophor my main sanitizer again. I have no issues with it. I have had no staining issues at all, even when I add it to a bucket before adding water. I can't see any reason it would stain a BB.

Good to know. You must have some kind of magical plastic over there or Im doing something wrong. It stains every plastic it touches at my house.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

It was theoretical evidence that starsan was not a complete solution for certain microrganisms (some wild yeast might be resistant to it) and that rotating sanitizers was likely to result in better long term sanitation in your homebrewery. I dont think there were actually aany significant issues that people were having. I use Io occasionally and will bleach my glass from time to time as well. Never had any issues just playing it safe.

Right.  Thank you.

Good to know. You must have some kind of magical plastic over there or Im doing something wrong. It stains every plastic it touches at my house.

Yeah, it stains everything over here.  

Okay thanks.

So the question is.... does it need to completely rinsed out? Or is it okay to have residual in the fermenter or corny when I rack??

IIRC, iodophor is no-rinse.  Hold on...

Just went and checked my bottle of it.  Use with cold or warm water, never hot.  Clean everything and then allow to soak in iodophor for at least 2 minutes AND ALLOW TO AIR DRY.  I remember that part now.  It doesn't say anything about rinsing as rinsing would defeat the purpose depending on what you rinsed it with.  Oh, and now that I picked up the bottle, my hands are stained.  <_<  :lol:  

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

Blood stained hands
I read the package too but just wanted to be sure. I can’t imagine making a whole batch, time ingredients and effort and taste iodine

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

You shouldn't taste anything. I have complete confidence in it, I just switched to Starsan (however long ago) because it seemed like the newer, better option. When I make iodophor solution, I fill a bucket half or three-quarters full and then add two caps of iodophor and stir, then fill the rest if the way. Then put whatever I'm sanitizing in there. It has a slight odor but it doesn't carry over to the beer.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

Okay thanks.

No.  It's no rinse just like StarSan.  Pour it out and go.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

Thank you

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

Right.  Thank you.

Yeah, it stains everything over here.  

IIRC, iodophor is no-rinse.  Hold on...

Just went and checked my bottle of it.  Use with cold or warm water, never hot.  Clean everything and then allow to soak in iodophor for at least 2 minutes AND ALLOW TO AIR DRY.  I remember that part now.  It doesn't say anything about rinsing as rinsing would defeat the purpose depending on what you rinsed it with.  Oh, and now that I picked up the bottle, my hands are stained.  <_<  :lol:  

Pretty much what StarSan says, and nobody pays any attention.  You don't need to soak.  As long as the surface is wet for 2 minutes, you're good.  And no need to air dry, either.

You shouldn't taste anything. I have complete confidence in it, I just switched to Starsan (however long ago) because it seemed like the newer, better option. When I make iodophor solution, I fill a bucket half or three-quarters full and then add two caps of iodophor and stir, then fill the rest if the way. Then put whatever I'm sanitizing in there. It has a slight odor but it doesn't carry over to the beer.

I think you might be using too much.  I'll have to measure the cap size again, but 1 Tbsp. is enough for 5 gal.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:14 PM

Maybe we have different brands. I have the 5 star (Io Star?) product. It measures with the same type of resevoir at the top of the bottle as starsan.

This
https://www.morebeer...dine-32-oz.html

Edited by neddles, 13 October 2018 - 12:15 PM.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

I think you might be using too much.  I'll have to measure the cap size again, but 1 Tbsp. is enough for 5 gal.

My directions say ¼ oz per 2½ gallons so I use ½ oz for 5 gallons (that's for the 12.5ppm which I think is correct for brewers).  ½ an ounce is 1 tablespoon and I just poured two caps of water into a 1T measuring spoon and it's correct.  2 caps is 1T is enough to make 5 gallons of solution that stains everything.  :P

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:02 PM

I did a T per 5 gallons and It diluted to an almost clear mixture. I used it. It had an iodine smell which actually gave me pause. It reminded me of my dad. He was a Chicago Sheetmetal man, a Tinman. He had habitual cuts on his hands. His fix and therefore anytime I had a cut as a kid was iodine first and then mercurochrome. It made me smile today. He’d a been 93 this week. So tomorrow’s batch is a lager most fitting for him.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

Cheers to your pop. He is proud of you, no question.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:06 AM

My directions say ¼ oz per 2½ gallons so I use ½ oz for 5 gallons (that's for the 12.5ppm which I think is correct for brewers).  ½ an ounce is 1 tablespoon and I just poured two caps of water into a 1T measuring spoon and it's correct.  2 caps is 1T is enough to make 5 gallons of solution that stains everything.  :P

You are correct.  My mind failed me...again....

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:22 AM

still using starsan here without issues.  maybe I'm just lucky.  :scratch:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users