#1 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25644 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

So this morning I was greeted with the battery light.  Pretty sure it is the alternator.  I haven't had to deal with alternators for a long time so I know nothing about brands or anything really.  Are there any brands that are going to be better than others?  AC Delco, Bosch?

Thanks guys!

PHBT engage!

#2 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22725 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:25 AM

Unhook it from the battery posts while it's running to see if indeed it's the alternator. You can also use a voltmeter across the battery poles. Depending on use and how old the truck is I usually would pull one from a scrap yard

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52513 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:33 AM

are you buying new or reman'd??  new the brand isn't going to matter much, delco, bosch, etc are all going to serve just fine.  make sure you are checking your battery as well, they often go hand in hand, in fact I've had a bad alternator take out a perfectly good battery.  worth checking anyway

#4 badogg

badogg

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25644 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:37 AM

Definitely going new.  Being I got about 120k miles on the original I'm leaning towards just getting the OEM one and calling it a day. 

I've suspected the bearing in the alternator was going out for a while as I'm getting a rattle type noise on cold startup.  Looks to be a pretty easy job from what I'm seeing on youtube.

#5 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52513 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:49 AM

Definitely going new.  Being I got about 120k miles on the original I'm leaning towards just getting the OEM one and calling it a day. 

I've suspected the bearing in the alternator was going out for a while as I'm getting a rattle type noise on cold startup.  Looks to be a pretty easy job from what I'm seeing on youtube.

the oem is probably made by bosch or delco anyway, no reason to pay stealership prices just to have oem

#6 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35102 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

pour effitall into the gas tank and boost.  

#7 badogg

badogg

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25644 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:03 AM

the oem is probably made by bosch or delco anyway, no reason to pay stealership prices just to have oem

Ford is Motorcraft right?

#8 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52513 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

Ford is Motorcraft right?

yup, but check the stamping on the housing, it might be made by bosch or delco.  I currently have a delco on my truck, has served faithfully for about 4-5 yrs now

#9 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60428 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:58 PM

are you buying new or reman'd??  new the brand isn't going to matter much, delco, bosch, etc are all going to serve just fine.  make sure you are checking your battery as well, they often go hand in hand, in fact I've had a bad alternator take out a perfectly good battery.  worth checking anyway

this

#10 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60428 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:02 PM

yup, but check the stamping on the housing, it might be made by bosch or delco.  I currently have a delco on my truck, has served faithfully for about 4-5 yrs now

I've got about 50K on a lifetime AC Delco reman myself

#11 badogg

badogg

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25644 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Got the Delco. Went to put it in yesterday evening and the damn pulley was bent. No way am I putting that in the truck and feck up my belt.

Had to go back this morning and they had to pull my old pulley off and put it on the new alternator. Got it put in in about 20 mins. Easy job. No more battery light and I can swear the truck is running more smoothly and a little punchier. Probably placebo effect.

Edited by badogg, Yesterday, 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users