8 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29612 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:46 AM

I had a bunch of "new to me" hops and already used some (Apollo, El Dorado, Lemon Drop) and I'm using some more in a sort of kitchen sink APA that I have coming up including Ella.  I'm left with some Azacca and also Loral (both in unopened 2oz bags from Yakima Valley).  I see that Loral is "super Noble" and I also have a note that says to use Azacca late but with another hop to compliment it.  Would it be as easy as using them together or would the "intense fruitiness" of the Azacca overpower the Loral and render it useless?  When I have this 1028 up and running I would like to use up these off-the-map hops.  Thoughts?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11453 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:51 AM

Loral is from Glacier and US Nugget. Make lager. Off-the-map hops = Off-the-map lager

#3 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29612 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:04 AM

Loral is from Glacier and US Nugget. Make lager. Off-the-map hops = Off-the-map lager

Well, for me Glacier and Nugget are ale hops.  They're GREAT ale hops but I would typically use them in an ale.  Plus, I have Noble hops for days here.  :P  I guess I'm just wondering how to marry the Loral hops.  I had Drez mention once that the Lorals were kid of "meh" and I had someone mention to me (you, I believe) that Azacca can be used to bitter or can be used late but to combine it with something else.  

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33382 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

I’ve used the Lorals quite a bit. They are really nice and subtle. Most recently I used them in the dark lager also in one of the Oktoberfests I made.

#5 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13656 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:19 AM

Well, for me Glacier and Nugget are ale hops.  They're GREAT ale hops but I would typically use them in an ale.  Plus, I have Noble hops for days here.  :P  I guess I'm just wondering how to marry the Loral hops.  I had Drez mention once that the Lorals were kid of "meh" and I had someone mention to me (you, I believe) that Azacca can be used to bitter or can be used late but to combine it with something else.  

After my realization with Azacca in high quantities I would save that and use it late.  I used Loral in an IPL and it was OK.  Herbal for sure but would be OK as a lager hop.

#6 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29612 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:22 AM

What if I just made a blonde ale with the 1028 and used something clean to bitter (Nugget, maybe) and then used Loral and Glacier late? Did you see what I did there? It's one big happy family... mom, dad, offspring. :lol: I have all of those hops.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11453 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:29 AM

What if I just made a blonde ale with the 1028 and used something clean to bitter (Nugget, maybe) and then used Loral and Glacier late? Did you see what I did there? It's one big happy family... mom, dad, offspring. :lol: I have all of those hops.

I would drink it. 

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4474 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:49 AM

All I can offer is a Loral and Hardy handshake

#9 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29612 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:11 AM

I would drink it.

Okay, so maybe something like that. Pale Ale malt plus some Vienna, Nugget to bitter and then late Glacier & Loral (2 ounces each) maybe in the last 5 minutes and then into the whirlpool or something. That sounds like a winner and even though it would be an ale (1028), it might look like a lager. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users