96 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:02 AM

I know Ken has talked about this one before and I see it is being released as part of the Private Collection so just throwing it out there for those looking for it.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:20 AM

I think I'm going to pursue a beer with it.  Maybe attempt a traditional CZ Pils.  Something I've never attempted.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53823 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:37 AM

When is it available?  I definitely have to get my hands on it.  

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:40 AM

^^ what did you do with it prior?

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:55 AM

Oh damn! I def want to get some. One of my all time favorite yeasts.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53823 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:01 AM

^^ what did you do with it prior?

It's been awhile but a Czech Pils for sure, probably something more helles-like and probably a hoppy Czech amber lager. This is Staropramen's yeast and it has a great character. I've been waiting for this yeast.

Okay, so it's available now...

2m2jdj8.png

I just KNOW that when I bought this pack of 2278 that I have... I wanted to make some nice Czech beers and I probably mumbled, I would much rather have 2782 but I guess this 2278 will have to do.  :D  I'm going to order some TODAY.  

Boom, order placed.  Ritebrew has it for $5.99.  Ordered some Best Malz Pils too.  :cheers:  Thanks Drez.

#7 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:39 AM

I believe I used that yeast for the only lager I made. It scored pretty well and I remember it tasting awesome. I did a Czech Pils

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:43 AM

Look at Ken right out of the gate.  Throwing Bayern love to the side like a red headed step child.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53823 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:01 AM

Look at Ken right out of the gate.  Throwing Bayern love to the side like a red headed step child.

I mentioned in the other thread that I just finished an unprecedented EIGHT-batch run with Bayern.  I only had the chance to try Staropramen once... in a little biergarten in Brataslava:

33dy1jk.jpg

Really great character from this yeast.  It actually has some 2124 and Bayern character to it.  It's hard to explain but it's really nice and it's one lager yeast that stands out to me as a favorite.  

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53823 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:20 AM

:lol:

My order has already shipped!  USA!  USA!  USA!  

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:41 AM

:lol:

My order has already shipped!  USA!  USA!  USA!  

Love that about Ritebrew!

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:45 AM

I know, I know 8 batches of the Bayern.  I've closely monitored each iteration Sir :)  

I guess I need to get on the 2782 bandwagon too.  

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:08 AM

When is it available?  I definitely have to get my hands on it.  

As of 10/1

#14 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:27 AM

And man, Ritebrew has some great prices on yeast. They're charging 5.99, and 've seen guys charging $10 for the same thing!  :wacko:

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

And man, Ritebrew has some great prices on yeast. They're charging 5.99, and 've seen guys charging $10 for the same thing!  :wacko:

They are my first stop when I am looking for anything.  I need to get some more carapils copper so I may throw in a pack of this just for giggles.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53823 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:45 AM

I know, I know 8 batches of the Bayern.  I've closely monitored each iteration Sir :)  

I guess I need to get on the 2782 bandwagon too.  

Okay, sorry about that.  That yeast makes me do strange things.  :lol:

They are my first stop when I am looking for anything.  I need to get some more carapils copper so I may throw in a pack of this just for giggles.

I need to look at them for certain things.  I know we talked about this recently... LP for bulk grain, the hop places like HopsDirect for bulk hops and Ritebrew for just about anything else.  My local supplier always seems to be a little behind or out of stock on things.  Her place is good but you can't rely on her having what you really want.  

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

So I went to Ritebrew and started ordering stuff including the yeast and then remembered I have an order arriving tomorrow with yeast and other stuff.  So I bailed.  We'll need to get a Staro thread going with the beers made with it so I don't miss out ordering a sack by December.

Dammit this hobby/craft love affair keeps me ordering stuff I don't need all the time...........................................

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53823 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:47 PM

We'll need to get a Staro thread going with the beers made with it so I don't miss out ordering a sack by December.

I think this *IS* the Staro thread. :D The first thing I'm going to make is a Czech Pils of some sort. A good Pilsner malt, some amount of Vienna and/or Munich I and/or Munich 2. Lots of late Saaz and I already have the Saaz from YCH.  I will also probably soften my water by diluting somewhere between 25% and 50% with distilled water to get that Plzen thing going.  I'll also probably do something like Czech amber lager with some late hops, maybe a milder gold lager and maybe even that U FLEKU dark lager that Doobah was talking about.  :scratch:

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16584 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

Damnit, I may have to ride this train too.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53823 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

Damnit, I may have to ride this train too.

You must.  :P

I did a little searching and it seems like recipes for Czech Pils are all over the place.  Many feature only pilsner malt and then various decoction schedules which I'm NOT doing.  I did find an award-winning recipe on the AHA forum that had pilsner, some Munich 2 and CaraFoam.  Then a FWH addition of Saaz, more Saaz at 20 and then more into the WP... I created a recipe for it just based on how much I liked the look of it.  Anyone have a recipe for something along the lines of Pilsner Urquell, Staro, Budvar, Gambrinus, etc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users