Photo
- - - - -

My Oktoberfest (and how it's changed)...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:34 AM

Then the batch I made yesterday: 70% Weyermann Pils and 30% Barke Munich is considered a Fest?

How did you hop it?

#22 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:24 AM

How did you hop it?

To a total of ~ 23 IBU.  An ounce of Tettnang at 25 minutes, 1/2 ounce each Tett and Crystal at 10 and an ounce of Crystal at 5.  40-minute boil.

I like the Crystal :)

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

I like the Crystal too and I have most of a pound left of it.  I suppose my overly-rigid style-nazi tendencies would say that it's too well-hopped to be an Oktoberfest or Festbier but it sounds delicious.  Was it 34/70?  I have seen Oktoberfest recipes where brewers will add hops halfway through the boil, at flameout, etc. and I guess I just prefer this "one addition" approach.  A lot of brewers can't restrain themselves either so even if they were following a recipe with one hop addition, my guess is that they would just HAVE to drop another ounce in there somewhere.  :P  Post pics when it's ready... I bet it looks like an Oktoberfest.

#24 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

^^ Crystal is so subtle I'm excited to see what it brings.  Yes a little more hop forward I guess.  We'll see what comes out in the wash.  I used a pack each of 34/70 and S-189 because.... me :)

If it lends a nice character to this batch I'll try and run several batches off of it.  This one came in at 1.050 so it'll stay healthy.  Next up (possibly) All Vienna with a smidgen of Carahell.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

^^ Crystal is so subtle I'm excited to see what it brings.  Yes a little more hop forward I guess.  We'll see what comes out in the wash.  I used a pack each of 34/70 and S-189 because.... me :)

If it lends a nice character to this batch I'll try and run several batches off of it.  This one came in at 1.050 so it'll stay healthy.  Next up (possibly) All Vienna with a smidgen of Carahell.

I think you're going to get more character from the 34/70 than from the S-189.  S-189 is very good and it's very clean... no in-your-face yeast character from it.  If 34/70 is truly the dry version of 2124, my guess is that you will get a bit of that.  The more I brew and the more I drink the more I realize that the styles that really hit a home run with me are malty lagers where the hops just balance things and the yeast character comes through in the finish of the beer.  That's the type of beer that I can drink all day... helles, vienna, oktoberfest, etc.  And... when the yeast strain is something really great it makes all the difference.  

#26 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

I think you're going to get more character from the 34/70 than from the S-189.  S-189 is very good and it's very clean... no in-your-face yeast character from it.  If 34/70 is truly the dry version of 2124, my guess is that you will get a bit of that.  The more I brew and the more I drink the more I realize that the styles that really hit a home run with me are malty lagers where the hops just balance things and the yeast character comes through in the finish of the beer.  That's the type of beer that I can drink all day... helles, vienna, oktoberfest, etc.  And... when the yeast strain is something really great it makes all the difference.  

I'm just beginning to realize this statement in my own brewing and personal tastes and my tastes are very similar if not spot on.  I haven't really delved into the liquids except for Budvar (which I extremely loved).  Dry is just so convenient.  Depending on what I get from this batch will determine if I ditch the slurry and experiment with another suggested liquid yeast etc..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users