#61 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:01 PM

Got stuck putting up christmas shit. Hopefully should be able to do a wet run tomorrow and brew on sun

#62 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

I screwed up. Forgot to buy new brewing hose. I installed the water filters, tested it, cleaned the kettle, cleaned the chiller, also forgot to get a stopper for the big mouth bubbler cap. So I still got some work to do. Also I leveled the ferm chamber and I have to test it.

#63 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:20 AM

It might actually happen this weekend.

#64 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

It's official. The burner is on. I am brewing!!!

#65 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

I mashed in a bit high, around 165. I figured the temp would drop more than 10 degrees in a hour because there's no insulation. I wrapped a towel around the kettle to help.

#66 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

I mashed in a bit high, around 165. I figured the temp would drop more than 10 degrees in a hour because there's no insulation. I wrapped a towel around the kettle to help.

I don't usually base my mash temp on where it settles after an hour.  I'm more concerned with what is going on for the first 30 or so minutes.  have I been doing ti wrong???

#67 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

I don't usually base my mash temp on where it settles after an hour.  I'm more concerned with what is going on for the first 30 or so minutes.  have I been doing ti wrong???

No. I'm guessing what I need to do since this is the first time with this system. I'll probably go a little lower next time because the preboil as it sits is around 150 degrees. So I lost about 15 degrees in an hour @ 72 ambient with a towel rap for insulation. Next time I'll start around 160 so I'm a little lower in the mash zone for longer.

BIABers... do you try and get anything out of the bag by resteeping or anything like that?

#68 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

No. I'm guessing what I need to do since this is the first time with this system. I'll probably go a little lower next time because the preboil as it sits is around 150 degrees. So I lost about 15 degrees in an hour @ 72 ambient with a towel rap for insulation. Next time I'll start around 160 so I'm a little lower in the mash zone for longer.

BIABers... do you try and get anything out of the bag by resteeping or anything like that?

With how highly today malts are modified and how quick they convert is steeping at a high temp early on the best approach?  

As for the second question.  I will sometimes add a gallon or so of water to a pot with the bag in it to collect runnings for a starter.

#69 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:17 PM

With how highly today malts are modified and how quick they convert is steeping at a high temp early on the best approach?

As for the second question. I will sometimes add a gallon or so of water to a pot with the bag in it to collect runnings for a starter.

yeah, the only time I try to collect residual sugars left in the grist is when I am using them to make a starter.

#70 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

As for the second question.  I will sometimes add a gallon or so of water to a pot with the bag in it to collect runnings for a starter.

I didn't know what to expect for temp drop after I added the grain. It turned out to be about 5 degrees on adding the grain and then another 10 degrees over the mash. At this point I don't think it matters that much. Many people have mashed up high and had no problems. For the majority of the mash it was in the 152 - 158 zone so I'm not worried.

FWIW, preboil gravity was 1.041 @ 7.25 gallons of wort. After the boil it will be a little under 6 gallons in the kettle at 1.052 which is what I wanted. So it will be beer. Gotta add some hops...

#71 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

And I'm spent. All in all from lighting the fire to cleanup done only 5.25 hours. I think there's room for improvement too. Quite the difference from my 1 bbl system. That would take me at least 9 hours and usually 12 hours to do one batch. This is going to make brewing a lot more fun again. BIAB is freaking easy. No way I'm going back to using a mash tun. I have some videos and some pictures I'll post later once I figure out how to get them off my phone. Cheers!!!

#72 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:08 PM

I have gone to a 2 vessel biab. Works good for me and makes brewday easier than before.

#73 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:34 PM

And I'm spent. All in all from lighting the fire to cleanup done only 5.25 hours. I think there's room for improvement too. Quite the difference from my 1 bbl system. That would take me at least 9 hours and usually 12 hours to do one batch. This is going to make brewing a lot more fun again. BIAB is freaking easy. No way I'm going back to using a mash tun. I have some videos and some pictures I'll post later once I figure out how to get them off my phone. Cheers!!!

I hope you remembered to put in the alcohol.

#74 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:54 PM

I hope you remembered to put in the alcohol.

Oh crap.

#75 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:59 AM

I have gone to a 2 vessel biab. Works good for me and makes brewday easier than before.

What is the second vessel for? If I should already know this forgive my poor memory.

#76 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:18 AM

What is the second vessel for? If I should already know this forgive my poor memory.

In my old MLT ! have the bottom drain and a false bottom and the bag sits on that.  I still do full volume BIAB but I then pump from the MLT to the BK.  This way I get a cleaner pre-boil into the kettle as I am not lifting to disturb.

#77 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:35 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users