#1 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

I'm in the planning stages to brew an oatmeal stout. I'll be using flaked oats for about 10% of the grain bill. I understand that using a protein rest for modern, highly modified malts is usually counter-productive, and can cause the beer to end up lacking in body. However, I know that the large amounts of long chain proteins contributed by oats could probably benefit by being broken down into medium sized proteins to contribute to the beer's body and mouthfeel. I was thinking about maybe trying to compromise by doing a short, 10-minute protein rest at about 120 or 125 F. My thought is that this might help to maximize the amount of medium proteins from the oats, without breaking down the ones from the barley malt too much. What would you guys say? Would I be better off just doing a single infusion mash at about 155F, or should I do the short protein rest on the way?

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

I am figuring you are probably using about 1-2lbs of Oats? I don't do protein rests in any of the brews that I make. My suggestion is if its for a small % of grains I would not bother just do a single infusion and call it a day. Of course this is your beer and if you feel inclined give it a go then by all means protein mash away.

#3 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

I do 1# quick oats in mash tun @154dF. Looking for the creamy edge of the oats. No protein rest for me.

#4 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

If anything, you could do a short beta glucan rest, but I probably wouldn't bother.

#5 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

Using just 1.5 lbs of oats, I will go with the consensus here and just do a single infusion mash. Thanks for the input.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

Not intending to hijack, but the thread is timely for me. I put "oatmeal" on the grocery list intending for SWMBO to pick up those individual packets so I could take it into work, but she got one of those large containers of oatmeal... hell, we don't go through that kind of oatmeal very fast. So I'm thinking I could use it in a brew. Problem is, I've got enough dark stuff in the works, that I'm not really up to doing a stout right now. Does anyone know of a recipe that is a light color that uses a lot of oats? This just happened last night, so when I say it is timely, I'm not kidding.

#7 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

Not intending to hijack, but the thread is timely for me. I put "oatmeal" on the grocery list intending for SWMBO to pick up those individual packets so I could take it into work, but she got one of those large containers of oatmeal... hell, we don't go through that kind of oatmeal very fast. So I'm thinking I could use it in a brew. Problem is, I've got enough dark stuff in the works, that I'm not really up to doing a stout right now. Does anyone know of a recipe that is a light color that uses a lot of oats? This just happened last night, so when I say it is timely, I'm not kidding.

The creamy effect of oatmeal in a stout is from the beta glucans present in the oatmeal. I don't know if oatmeal is particularly high in protein compared to say... wheat, but if you were really worried about it, I imagine mashing with 6 row could give you some extra enzymes to break everything down.But why bother?

#8 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

have her make oatmeal cookies.

#9 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14931 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:19 AM

Do you need to cook this style of oatmeal first?

#10 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29546 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

Problem is, I've got enough dark stuff in the works, that I'm not really up to doing a stout right now. Does anyone know of a recipe that is a light color that uses a lot of oats? This just happened last night, so when I say it is timely, I'm not kidding.

It is in a lot of wits

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

you could put it in pretty much anything you want a creamier feel to....get creative...try it in an amber i bet that would be delicious

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users