#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:02 AM

I have a spin on Denny's BVIP ready to bottle (yes bottle).  A couple weeks ago I pulled 12 ounces and dropped a sugar tablet in and capped it.  Opened it yesterday with no carbonation.  I've used those tabs before with great success....

So I'm thinking I need to pitch some yeast and sugar into the bucket to get this baby carbed up.  I've sugared before but never added yeast.  Can anyone of you's dudes give me some tips on this process.  I have 05 on hand.

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:40 AM

I haven't done this before either, but if I were to I would consider rehydrating the 05, then add some sugar to that to "wake" them up. Then bottle once you can see activity?

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:48 AM

Thanks.  I recall reading that 1/4 pack of dry is appropriate but I cannot find that.  Denny???

I also have some very fresh 34/70 slurry that I'd rather use than waste a pack of dry....

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:29 AM

I wish I could help.  I have never had to use anything other than the yeast that the beer was fermented with.  Even when the beer looked crystal clear I still got carb in the bottles.  I have threatened many times to bottle of batch of beer the old-school way with priming sugar and a bottling wand.  Not sure I'll try it but it would be fun to have some good beer to go when I want to take it to a party, etc.  I might have to find a low-O2 way to do it.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:41 AM

I'm no fan of bottling but yes, it's cool to have some in the fridge to carry away.  For that I usually use my growlers or bombers and cap them.  The last time I made a BVIP'ish beer I added sugar and NOTHING happened.  So from that experience I know that some yeast or better yet slurry can help the process.  I just need a qty.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:46 AM

I'm no fan of bottling but yes, it's cool to have some in the fridge to carry away.  For that I usually use my growlers or bombers and cap them.  The last time I made a BVIP'ish beer I added sugar and NOTHING happened.  So from that experience I know that some yeast or better yet slurry can help the process.  I just need a qty.

Is this an issue where the ABV of the beer is high enough to have killed the yeast that was used for fermenting?  Just thinking out loud.  

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

I believe it is that very issue.  This beer was brewed at the beginning of August and the Classic Munich yeast tore through 1.085 like a cyclone.  I put it to 2nd after a couple weeks and it's been sitting ever since.  I know for sure it's done and just hanging out.  I assume the yeast that has fallen out is shot....  Same with the other batch that wouldn't carb.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

Thanks.  I recall reading that 1/4 pack of dry is appropriate but I cannot find that.  Denny???

I also have some very fresh 34/70 slurry that I'd rather use than waste a pack of dry....

I'd suspect your priming tab before the yeast.  I have never needed to reyeast to carb that beer.

Is this an issue where the ABV of the beer is high enough to have killed the yeast that was used for fermenting?  Just thinking out loud.  

No.

I believe it is that very issue.  This beer was brewed at the beginning of August and the Classic Munich yeast tore through 1.085 like a cyclone.  I put it to 2nd after a couple weeks and it's been sitting ever since.  I know for sure it's done and just hanging out.  I assume the yeast that has fallen out is shot....  Same with the other batch that wouldn't carb.

Hmmmmm....maybe

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:10 AM

I'd suspect your priming tab before the yeast.  I have never needed to reyeast to carb that beer.

No.

Hmmmmm....maybe

Okay then.  Is there XX amount of slurry I can add (safely) as an insurance policy against the 3 1/4 ounces of sugar?  Just to be safe?  I hate having to open bottles wearing a welding hood and gloves hahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users