30 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

I keep checking this yeast.  It's slowly getting more active but I still haven't decided if it will be later today or tomorrow.  I am reminded that I once bought Omega West Coast (no nutrient pack in the Omega packaging), took it out of the fridge on brewday, made my 5% ale wort, oxygenated and pitched.  It took 4 days to start.  The beer was a blonde ale but ended up more like a Belgian Hefeweizen and I think I posted a picture of it... a cloudy mess.  So if it's not ready by about 3pm, I'm bailing out until tomorrow.  

#22 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

I keep checking this yeast.  It's slowly getting more active but I still haven't decided if it will be later today or tomorrow.  I am reminded that I once bought Omega West Coast (no nutrient pack in the Omega packaging), took it out of the fridge on brewday, made my 5% ale wort, oxygenated and pitched.  It took 4 days to start.  The beer was a blonde ale but ended up more like a Belgian Hefeweizen and I think I posted a picture of it... a cloudy mess.  So if it's not ready by about 3pm, I'm bailing out until tomorrow.  

Probably a good idea; no sense risking a whole batch on iffy yeast. 

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

Probably a good idea; no sense risking a whole batch on iffy yeast. 

The real issue is that the yeast is not only starting slowly but it's making me doubt its viability.  I only say that because I don't think I've ever seen a pack of ale yeast act this sluggishly when its age shouldn't really be in question.  If it was a year old, I could see it.  I'm concerned that I could hold until tomorrow and still have an issue.  I'm not predicting that but the whole thing is weird.  

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:01 PM

Between 1pm and 3pm yesterday I was on the fence about brewing with this yeast.  At some point I went down there and the yeast was talking to me... Put me in.  I've got this.  so I started brewing around 4:30 and finished up around 8:30pm.  The starter looked just slightly better than the pic I posted but it did look like it was improving.  This morning I had a couple of small bubbles and then I was out until about 2pm and gave it a swirl and got a good amount of activity so it's off and running, thank Jeebus.  Never saw a relatively new blob of yeast be that stubborn.

In other news, I was near a LHBS this afternoon and picked up base malt, specialties, calcium chloride, acid, whirfloc, etc. and then I remembered an article I was reading earlier in the week about Fritz Maytag and Anchor Steam.  Any time I read something about Fritz or that beer I want to make something similar.  So I also picked up some Northern Brewer and 2112 to make a Steam/Common/West Coast Lager.  I like the character of the 2112 the problem is that I don't know what else to make with it.  Cheers Beerheads.

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:19 AM

Between 1pm and 3pm yesterday I was on the fence about brewing with this yeast.  At some point I went down there and the yeast was talking to me... Put me in.  I've got this.  so I started brewing around 4:30 and finished up around 8:30pm.  The starter looked just slightly better than the pic I posted but it did look like it was improving.  This morning I had a couple of small bubbles and then I was out until about 2pm and gave it a swirl and got a good amount of activity so it's off and running, thank Jeebus.  Never saw a relatively new blob of yeast be that stubborn.

In other news, I was near a LHBS this afternoon and picked up base malt, specialties, calcium chloride, acid, whirfloc, etc. and then I remembered an article I was reading earlier in the week about Fritz Maytag and Anchor Steam.  Any time I read something about Fritz or that beer I want to make something similar.  So I also picked up some Northern Brewer and 2112 to make a Steam/Common/West Coast Lager.  I like the character of the 2112 the problem is that I don't know what else to make with it.  Cheers Beerheads.

MLPA duh :D

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

MLPA duh :D

That's a good idea.

From the LORAL HOPS thread:

What if I just made a blonde ale with the 1028 and used something clean to bitter (Nugget, maybe) and then used Loral and Glacier late? Did you see what I did there? It's one big happy family... mom, dad, offspring. :lol: I have all of those hops.

I could do this too. A blonde beer with Nugget, Loral and Glacier. I might put a recipe together for this and the 2112 could be West Coast Lager, a version of MLPA and this Blonde. Nice. Nisch. Noice.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

glacier is a hop I keep meaning to get back to.

#28 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

Two other ideas: Bases Loaded Blonde and Home Run Red.

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:39 AM

the HRR  especially

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Mmm, I just made the HRR with Bayern.  It's carbing right now.  You know what's really weird?  I have made a west coast lager with 2112 in the past and then determined that I could make any beer I wanted with the slurry and pale ale, blonde, red and a number of others have been tried and I feel like I just haven't made very many good beers with 2112 other than a west coast lager.  The yeast could literally be used to make almost anything.  It's got great character and it flocs like a mofo.  Cheers gang.

#31 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:44 PM

WY1028 and WLP013 are supposedly the same Worthington strain.  I prefer WLP013 in this case, and rarely do I choose a White Labs over a WYeast product.  1028 is one of the few WYeast strains that I've had difficulty with.  Often times even fresh, smack the pack, and it takes longer than anticipated to swell.  Always responds well on the stirplate and in the fermenter.  Both are big diacetyl producers, WLP013 even more so.  A few extra days in primary and a bump in temp is all good.  But to say that 1028 and 1056 have the same specs is like saying burger king and mcdonalds have the same specs.  They are both hamburgers, but have a different flavor profile.  1028 is much more minerally and estery than 1056.  They might take the same 1.060 wort down to 1.012, but the flavor profile will be noticeably different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users