Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:41 AM

https://www.experime...ater-everywhere

The Brew is Out There!  TECHNIQUE SHOW

Water is an important chemical - without it we wouldn't have beer! And for something that comprises so much of our beer, the chemistry we need to know to brew our best beer is Daunting - with a capital D. Drew sits down with Martin Brungard, creator of Bru'n Water, to demystify water chemistry and realize the functionality of Martin's mathmagical spreadsheet.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16626 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:14 AM

So can anyone decipher the text here from Martin's website regarding how much to donate to get the "latest version" plus future updates? Any idea what is the threshold for "higher amounts"?

• Enter a Donation Amount, amounts over $5 will be rewarded with the old version of Bru'n Water and higher amounts will be rewarded with the latest Bru'n Water version and future upgrades.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

So can anyone decipher the text here from Martin's website regarding how much to donate to get the "latest version" plus future updates? Any idea what is the threshold for "higher amounts"?

I did 15 back when I did it several years ago.  I will say there is a lot of new thoughts going on with pH.  I have been reading multiple threads about the generation 2 algorithms for pH estimations.  Lots of arguments are going along with those.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53964 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:24 AM

I did 15 back when I did it several years ago.  I will say there is a lot of new thoughts going on with pH.  I have been reading multiple threads about the generation 2 algorithms for pH estimations.  Lots of arguments are going along with those.

Care to either distill it for me or point me towards a source for that?  I truly hate to open that back up again since I seem to be in good shape with regard to pH but I'm always interested in changing ideas.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:32 AM

Care to either distill it for me or point me towards a source for that?  I truly hate to open that back up again since I seem to be in good shape with regard to pH but I'm always interested in changing ideas.

Go and look at some of the post on HBT under Brewing Science.  Any of the post that have AJ Delange commenting seem to be gearing towards the new way.  I will say I do not think AJ likes Bru'n Water very much!

99% of it goes over my head.  I am not a chemistry major and I do not want to be one.  I have had some issues with BnW but I stick with it and just keep track of the actual pH.  

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16626 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:37 AM

As close as version 1.6 gets me I'm not sure the value of arguing pH estimations to that length. It's not like you have to have 5.32 as opposed to 5.30 or something. 

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:01 AM

Go and look at some of the post on HBT under Brewing Science.  Any of the post that have AJ Delange commenting seem to be gearing towards the new way.  I will say I do not think AJ likes Bru'n Water very much!

99% of it goes over my head.  I am not a chemistry major and I do not want to be one.  I have had some issues with BnW but I stick with it and just keep track of the actual pH.  

That's becasue AJ has his own "unique" way of thinking about water.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

That's becasue AJ has his own "unique" way of thinking about water.

I kind of picked up on that.  I see he has his own sheet now and plan to download it for fun.  As I said, most of the discussion goes well past my knowledge or care and gets very academic and I just do not see how that is going to help me make a better pastry stout ;) or beer in general.

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

I will say this: I use Bru’n’water and have for dozens of batches. Maybe over a hundred. My estimated ph is usually .2-.3 lower than measured. I always calibrate my ph meter. I try to keep my temp at measuring about 70 dF, but that’s not always possible. I know I’m in range for conversion so I’m happy. That being said, I would like to be able to dial things in a little better. Commercial brewing systems seem to rarely take into account for water treatment.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

I will say this: I use Bru’n’water and have for dozens of batches. Maybe over a hundred. My estimated ph is usually .2-.3 lower than measured. I always calibrate my ph meter. I try to keep my temp at measuring about 70 dF, but that’s not always possible. I know I’m in range for conversion so I’m happy. That being said, I would like to be able to dial things in a little better. Commercial brewing systems seem to rarely take into account for water treatment.

Something I want to do just need to find the time is to take all the info from a recent brew session and enter it into one of the many spreadsheets and programs to see if any of them give me what I actually measure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users