36 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

I have a strange feeling that Denny does not like pastry stouts!

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:05 PM

I mentioned things like this awhile back... how certain styles don't really come across as "beer" to me... Hefeweizens, Belgians and even some stouts and porters.  My view might be a little narrow but there is still a lot of variation in the styles I like to make.  The styles can get weird... it's cool with me... I will try them when I have the chance but I'll still focus on the styles I like.  

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

I mentioned things like this awhile back... how certain styles don't really come across as "beer" to me... Hefeweizens, Belgians and even some stouts and porters.  My view might be a little narrow but there is still a lot of variation in the styles I like to make.  The styles can get weird... it's cool with me... I will try them when I have the chance but I'll still focus on the styles I like.  

What is "beer" to you.  

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:16 PM

Beer styles that scream BEER to me:  Pilsner, Helles, Festbier, Vienna Lager, Dunkel, Kolsch, Bock, Altbier, Czech Pilsner, Czech Amber Lager, Pale Ale, ESB, Brown Ale, Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Amber Ale, Steam Beer.  I know that these other beers are "BEER"... they're just not really my thing.  Bourbon barrel-aged beer is still beer but there are probably people who don't consider it very beery and the same might be true for pastry stout, NEIPA, a Belgian flavored with brussel sprouts, etc.  There are probably other styles that I consider beer... the list was just off the top of my head. 

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:23 PM

Someone give Jim a Cantillion!

Edited by drez77, 20 September 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

I don’t care what people like to brew, and I don’t care what people like to drink. It’s pretty much that simple.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:02 PM

You mean like pastry stout?

Ha! No, I meant the Belgian, sour, Stout, smoked, etc.

#28 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:21 PM

I don’t care what people like to brew, and I don’t care what people like to drink. It’s pretty much that simple.

I hear ya

What’s tough is when you brew beer for work. Some folks just forge ahead, brewing what they want. Problem is. If that doesn’t line up with what the customer wants to buy, you have to start reading the tea leaves. It can be extremely frustrating.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:28 PM

I hear ya

What’s tough is when you brew beer for work. Some folks just forge ahead, brewing what they want. Problem is. If that doesn’t line up with what the customer wants to buy, you have to start reading the tea leaves. It can be extremely frustrating.

This is one of the things that sounds really problematic.  Say I open a brewery and decide I'm going to make traditional German lagers and I feel like I'm making great beer and... the crickets are chirping because no one in my area actually wants that beer?  Or, what if I had customers but they were all people in their 60s and 70s who want old-school beer as opposed to newer, craft beer?  The next thing you know I have a geriatric brewpub.  :lol:  Either that or I change my strategy to make beer that brewpub patrons want but now I'm in over my head because I'm making styles that I'm not that good at making.  It's not about MAKING beer it's about SELLING beer.  But I really wouldn't want to have a pastry-stout brewery when what I really envisioned was an authentic biergarten serving German styles.  

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:16 PM

This is one of the things that sounds really problematic. Say I open a brewery and decide I'm going to make traditional German lagers and I feel like I'm making great beer and... the crickets are chirping because no one in my area actually wants that beer? Or, what if I had customers but they were all people in their 60s and 70s who want old-school beer as opposed to newer, craft beer? The next thing you know I have a geriatric brewpub. :lol: Either that or I change my strategy to make beer that brewpub patrons want but now I'm in over my head because I'm making styles that I'm not that good at making. It's not about MAKING beer it's about SELLING beer. But I really wouldn't want to have a pastry-stout brewery when what I really envisioned was an authentic biergarten serving German styles.

Had just that around me. They spent $8.2M to build a beautiful lager brewery but no one wanted their beers. After a couple of years they started down the IPA/APA path and are now very popular. They still do the lagers but the hops are what bring in the money. Make what the customer wants or stick to your guns and go out of business.

#31 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

I hear ya

Yes, as a professional its a totally different story.
One would be foolish to not care what others like to brew, and one would be foolish to not care what others like to drink.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:40 AM

Had just that around me. They spent $8.2M to build a beautiful lager brewery but no one wanted their beers. After a couple of years they started down the IPA/APA path and are now very popular. They still do the lagers but the hops are what bring in the money. Make what the customer wants or stick to your guns and go out of business.

which brewery is this?

I think schilling might have started just doing continental beers (lots of lagers) but they now have the separate "resilience ale project" where they make the NEIPAs, DIPAs, etc.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:23 AM

which brewery is this?

I think schilling might have started just doing continental beers (lots of lagers) but they now have the separate "resilience ale project" where they make the NEIPAs, DIPAs, etc.

Fort Hill.

I think what Schilling has done is similar to what Jacks Abby did with Springdale and Greater Good with Soul Purpose.  They are using the second side to differentiate the beers.  For Jack's it was ales and Soul Purpose is lower ABV beers.  What i saw here was trying to save the brewery.

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:01 PM

I see that this is coming up soon...

#35 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

This is one of the things that sounds really problematic. Say I open a brewery and decide I'm going to make traditional German lagers and I feel like I'm making great beer and... the crickets are chirping because no one in my area actually wants that beer? Or, what if I had customers but they were all people in their 60s and 70s who want old-school beer as opposed to newer, craft beer? The next thing you know I have a geriatric brewpub. :lol: Either that or I change my strategy to make beer that brewpub patrons want but now I'm in over my head because I'm making styles that I'm not that good at making. It's not about MAKING beer it's about SELLING beer. But I really wouldn't want to have a pastry-stout brewery when what I really envisioned was an authentic biergarten serving German styles.

I think you can make the lagers a part of what you do but you need the IPAs and trendy stuff too.

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

I see that this is coming up soon...

EBF has been going on for a long time.

#37 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:32 PM

I totally agree with his basic sentiment, if not his choice of beer.

This whole heartedly. Try to tell a brewery owner to stop making the crazy flavor beers and they'll tell you to pound sand because it's a business and those doctored up beers sell like crazy. I don't blame them a bit for brewing them, they gotta make money. Most I know will tell you that they prefer the old standards too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users