#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

Thought I would share...

On one hand I get it.  My tastes run towards the "beery beers" too and I get overwhelmed by crazy options.  But he doesn't really say what kind of beer he likes so there is no way to know what he considers "good".  

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:34 AM

Meh ... a comedian trying to be funny.  This is is timely because I was just listening to Greg Koch of Stone Brewing talking about how beer is changing and is being redefined.  From the sound of it he like a mass produced lager seeing I think of that as what most people consider beer.  Great, drink that and let the others drink what they want.  I really could not care about his input or opinion.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:10 AM

My guess is that many people who watched that agreed since it was a part of CBS This Morning (or whatever it's called) which I always assumed was for older people.  His comment that "They're all bad" is clearly ridiculous and I'm sure he doesn't want to go back to the 1970s where the American options were cold, fizzy lager and that's it.  

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the share Ken!

I kind of agree, I get pissed when I go to a tap room and half the beers have some weird flavor added. I actually went to one place that had a snickerdoodle stout where they "salted" the rim with sugar and chocolate. I was like, What!?  :wacko:

But seriously, I look forward to the well crafted and "plain" beers that I find. I recently had a helles, and I'm like, Yes! this is what I want!

I'm all for experimentation, but you better have a solid line of good, regular beer too.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the share Ken!

I kind of agree, I get pissed when I go to a tap room and half the beers have some weird flavor added. I actually went to one place that had a snickerdoodle stout where they "salted" the rim with sugar and chocolate. I was like, What!?  :wacko:

But seriously, I look forward to the well crafted and "plain" beers that I find. I recently had a helles, and I'm like, Yes! this is what I want!

I'm all for experimentation, but you better have a solid line of good, regular beer too.

Maybe that snickerdoodle thingy would be liked by someone's wife and it is the only way he can get her to go with him to a brewery or maybe I just am used to seeing it so that is what I assume..lol.  As long as there are a few things I want on tap I am good.  I will say that in recent years I have been pushing back on the ingredient craze and going back to a simple lager or ale.  Simple is getting much harder to find done good. 

Edited by drez77, 19 September 2018 - 07:58 AM.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

Maybe that snickerdoodle thingy would be liked by someone's wife and it is the only way he can get her to go with him to a brewery or maybe I just am used to seeing it so that is what I assume..lol.  As long as there are a few things I want on tap I am good.  I will say that in recent years I have been pushing back on the ingredient craze and going back to a simple lager or ale.  Simple is getting much harder to find done good. 

I agree on the simple and finding it done well.  I can't tell you how many pilsners, helles or "american lager" I have ordered at craft places that were just dreadful.  In some cases they're undrinkable.  I don't want to say that some places make more complex beer to cover flaws but I do wonder sometimes.  All that said, I would say that we're in a golden age of American brewing right now.  The more options the better and you can always avoid various things and stick to more straightforward styles if you want.  I don't want snickerdoodle stout or a beer with a Jolly Rancher kick or any of that.  I have been to craft breweries where I was not able to find a single beer that I could order... not one.  Every option was either 10%, bourbon barrel-aged, Belgian, flavored with something I didn't want (like smoke or port wine or something), etc.  Not a single pale ale or amber, red, etc. in the bunch.  That's their choice but I would prefer to see a couple middle-of-the-road beers.  

EDIT:  watching that again tells me that there are some peeved people out there who either don't care for the comments or think Gaffigan is just stupid.  I'll just take the position that there is a line somewhere... just that every person's line is in a different spot.  :D

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:16 AM

I bet that Jolly Rancher beer was one with El Doarado

In the end the brewery is making what sells and makes them money.  There have been many I have seen start up and say "We are not making an IPA...EVER!"  and a year later there is the IPA because that is what brings in the money.

All of this is why we brew so we can have what we want!

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

I totally agree with his basic sentiment, if not his choice of beer.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

I totally agree with his basic sentiment, if not his choice of beer.

This, from the brewer of "wee shroomy".  :lol:

All of this is why we brew so we can have what we want!

Right.  I have been concentrating on lagers A LOT lately and I feel like they have been really good lately.  I am proud to serve them and have been getting a lot of positive comments on them.  Of course hopheads or Belgian-heads could come over and think my beers are bland or unimaginative... that's okay.  

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:40 AM

This, from the brewer of "wee shroomy".  :lol:

Right.  I have been concentrating on lagers A LOT lately and I feel like they have been really good lately.  I am proud to serve them and have been getting a lot of positive comments on them.  Of course hopheads or Belgian-heads could come over and think my beers are bland or unimaginative... that's okay.  

See, the thing is that Wee Shroomy is still a beer first.  The mushrooms enhance the flavor rather than define the beer.  The same can't be said of a pastry stout, for example.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:51 AM

See, the thing is that Wee Shroomy is still a beer first.  The mushrooms enhance the flavor rather than define the beer.  The same can't be said of a pastry stout, for example.

Understood but someone who calls themselves a 'traditionalist' would probably pass on the mushroom beer.  :D  I haven't tried wee shroomy so... I judge not.  ;)

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:37 AM

Understood but someone who calls themselves a 'traditionalist' would probably pass on the mushroom beer.  :D  I haven't tried wee shroomy so... I judge not.  ;)

Fortunately I don't consider myself a traditionalist!

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:06 PM

Even within his definition there are a lot of quality craft beers out there that are vastly Superior to thier macro counterparts.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

Geez Ken .. I see on another board they are loving his response..HA HA.  Macro Lager all the way!

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:08 PM

I have worked with/currently work with many craft brewers. My take on things is just that, my own. It’s also in my region. You guys know me pretty well so adjust the amount of salt you need.

There has definitely been a sea change in craft beer and it’s very much because of social media. SM has helped to advance brewing knowledge, skill, and culture. This new chance tho has just advanced hype. Beer drinkers coming of age these days often feel the need to seem cool and one up each other by drinking hipper (read: more hyped beer than their peers. The hype is bad for beer IMO. If you don’t feed into this hype, you aren’t a “good brewery”. You could have the world’s best brown ale and it will be a slow seller. Business is business tho. If you’re in it, you gotta do what people want. Too bad for the lager purist. Or anyone else who likes the rainbow of beers.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:36 PM

The part about beer drinkers and when they come of age is interesting because it could forever dictate your vision of beer.  Someone turning 21 right now would be faced with so many more options that I had and beer could mean almost anything.  I do wonder if it would be intimidating trying to make sense of the beer world right now as a 20-year-old, etc.  For someone my age, I was able to pick up on it gradually but there are so many more options now.  Bottom line is that it's best to stay open-minded especially if you're really into beer.  You can always decide that you like this and not that but stay flexible.  Next thing you know, Gaffigan will be drinking a peanut butter & chocolate stout and wonder how he lived without it.  :D

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

I have worked with/currently work with many craft brewers. My take on things is just that, my own. It’s also in my region. You guys know me pretty well so adjust the amount of salt you need.

There has definitely been a sea change in craft beer and it’s very much because of social media. SM has helped to advance brewing knowledge, skill, and culture. This new chance tho has just advanced hype. Beer drinkers coming of age these days often feel the need to seem cool and one up each other by drinking hipper (read: more hyped beer than their peers. The hype is bad for beer IMO. If you don’t feed into this hype, you aren’t a “good brewery”. You could have the world’s best brown ale and it will be a slow seller. Business is business tho. If you’re in it, you gotta do what people want. Too bad for the lager purist. Or anyone else who likes the rainbow of beers.

Instagram beer culture is a crazy thing. I agree on the SM issue.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

all the serious craft beer drinkers around me want IPAs of all types.  very little interest in barrel aged, belgian, sours, etc.  what's funny though is that some of the beers you guys are saying aren't "beery" are probably closest to historical beers than the stuff gaffigan is talking about.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

all the serious craft beer drinkers around me want IPAs of all types.  very little interest in barrel aged, belgian, sours, etc.  what's funny though is that some of the beers you guys are saying aren't "beery" are probably closest to historical beers than the stuff gaffigan is talking about.

You mean like pastry stout?

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

You mean like pastry stout?

I had to look that up. In the process I found THIS article and the author seems to agree that brewers are really allowing their cheese to slip off the cracker. :lol:  I view some of this the same way I view people who like their pot.  It's not really for me but if that's your thing, have at it.  I don't look down on these freaky beer styles but I choose to stay away from the hype and just concentrate on the styles I like to make and drink.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users