36 replies to this topic

#21 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8207 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:37 AM

My daughter went on a cruise (Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel and another spot in MX) and said numerous people had been busted trying to smuggle liquor on board.  Also, she told me a story that made so much sense but I've never been on a cruise so it was an AHA! moment for me.  She said the boat was constantly rocking... during the day she said it was okay but in the evenings she said everyone was getting nauseous because the boat was moving so much.  She would go into the bathroom to pee and there was a person in every stall throwing up and THIS is why bugs break out on a boat.  For years I wondered why it happened this way... there are giant office buildings where people work day after day and an illness doesn't take over like it does on a cruise ship.  She also said there were staff members in the bathrooms cleaning up with bleach at all times so that they could combat any breakouts.  I really have no desire to take a cruise.

It’s not just the bathrooms.The Ocean is generally unpleasant as feck. Now add in 2,000 people, and a fecking swimming pool? I can tell you for a stone fact that cleaning the pool on a ship sucks donkey balls., so you can imagine how well it gets done. After my first go around on The APL President Jackson, I specifically avoided that entire class of ship, because of that fecking swimming pool. It’s literally the worst job on the ship. There are 2 ships I could work on that have pools. I’d sooner live off my wife’s income and have no insurance, than go on them.

#22 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5597 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:50 AM

Isn't there enough liquor on board? I went on a cruise in the early 90s and there was no shortage of booze. I was 17 but still managed to be drunk half the time! You had to pay for drinks at the bars but there was always free champagne to be had somewhere aboard....

I'm just doing it to say I smuggled it on. I'll probably buy a beer mug and just get discounted beer mostly. But a couple mix drinks here and there will be nice.

#23 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

Whenever someone tells me they're going on a cruise, I immediately send them a get-well card.  :P

#24 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:17 AM

I think it'd be cool to do one of those smaller boat cruises, like Windjammer or whatever. 50 people on a yacht

#25 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5597 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:54 AM

Whenever someone tells me they're going on a cruise, I immediately send them a get-well card. :P

I've been on one, an Alaskan cruise when I was in the 9th grade. This wasn't my idea, and wouldn't be my first choice of a vacation, but, I have no choice I'm told. That would suck though to get sick.

I think it'd be cool to do one of those smaller boat cruises, like Windjammer or whatever. 50 people on a yacht

Yes

#26 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19843 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

My brother has done a couple cruises, he and their friends all use these flasks and put t hem in with their lotions and bathroom supplies and have never had a problem.

https://www.amazon.c...249545393&psc=1

#27 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

That I would do. I don't even think its 50 people on the boat. Island-hop around the Caribbean or the Greek islands... Nice. I would do one of those river cruises too.

#28 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3988 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

Cruises can be a fun way to get exposure to several different spots and decide if you’d like to see more of them. Did the Caribbean cruise and decided the Jamaica was a place I’ll go whenever but the caymans aren’t.
I’d do a Mediterranean cruise for the exposure to the entire region and the river cruises in Russia look interesting too.
I’ve also taken the Alaska marine highway ferry from Whittier through the wrangell narrows to Ketchikan which was absolutely awesome. We took coolers of beer and sandwich fixings and bought a hot dinner in the canteen, we took a cabin but others used tents on deck or slept in the open.

#29 BeerBomber

BeerBomber

Comptroller of Brined Cucumber Liplocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7108 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:32 PM

I'd like to go on a cruise, but yeah I cannot imagine a dirtier place to be.  

#30 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8207 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

Cruises can be a fun way to get exposure to several different spots and decide if you’d like to see more of them. Did the Caribbean cruise and decided the Jamaica was a place I’ll go whenever but the caymans aren’t.
I’d do a Mediterranean cruise for the exposure to the entire region and the river cruises in Russia look interesting too.
I’ve also taken the Alaska marine highway ferry from Whittier through the wrangell narrows to Ketchikan which was absolutely awesome. We took coolers of beer and sandwich fixings and bought a hot dinner in the canteen, we took a cabin but others used tents on deck or slept in the open.

Alaska Marine Highway is expensive now. Like $450 from Bellingham to Juneau. It is feckin beautiful though.

#31 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:14 PM

You may also notice that the cruise-ship terminal is actually the last place you want to be on most of the stops.  It's mostly shitty and expensive bars or places like Carlos & Charlie's and everyone near the port is trying to sell you something.  It seems like you would want to pre-plan your excursions at each stop, get past the port area and head to a nicer spot.

#32 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3988 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:14 PM

You may also notice that the cruise-ship terminal is actually the last place you want to be on most of the stops. It's mostly shitty and expensive bars or places like Carlos & Charlie's and everyone near the port is trying to sell you something. It seems like you would want to pre-plan your excursions at each stop, get past the port area and head to a nicer spot.

We slipped our captors and found a taxi driver each stop after the first over priced joke of an excursion.

#33 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3988 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

All of this and I actually have a cruise scheduled for January to Cuba. It’s with a group of window covering professionals who have our own little secret society on Facebook similar to the ph but strictly window covering issues. In fact I have two tickets, need to look into an alternate for the soon to be exwife, not sure I could resist throwing her overboard so it’s probsbly best I find a substitute.
I’ll make the best of it since several of these folks are real life friends too and it seems like a good way to sample Cuba

#34 BIG POPPA

BIG POPPA

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25138 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:14 AM

https://i.imgur.com/ZBkB4Ff.gifv

#35 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43899 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:38 AM

My daughter went on a cruise (Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel and another spot in MX) and said numerous people had been busted trying to smuggle liquor on board. Also, she told me a story that made so much sense but I've never been on a cruise so it was an AHA! moment for me. She said the boat was constantly rocking... during the day she said it was okay but in the evenings she said everyone was getting nauseous because the boat was moving so much. She would go into the bathroom to pee and there was a person in every stall throwing up and THIS is why bugs break out on a boat. For years I wondered why it happened this way... there are giant office buildings where people work day after day and an illness doesn't take over like it does on a cruise ship. She also said there were staff members in the bathrooms cleaning up with bleach at all times so that they could combat any breakouts. I really have no desire to take a cruise.

Was it a big ship? I've been on 4 cruises and aside from one time where a storm rolled through I almost never noticed the boat rocking.

#36 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:56 AM

Was it a big ship? I've been on 4 cruises and aside from one time where a storm rolled through I almost never noticed the boat rocking.

I'm not sure how big the ship was but with it only going Fort Lauderdale -> Costa Maya -> Cozumel, it may have been smaller.  Also, I have heard that the water around that part of Mexico and Cozumel is always choppy and that it's called "the bathtub" because it's just a constant chop.  But you would think that a bigger boat could handle "chop".  We took a ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel and my youngest was zuking over the side.  :lol:

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14978 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:59 AM

I'm not sure how big the ship was but with it only going Fort Lauderdale -> Costa Maya -> Cozumel, it may have been smaller.  Also, I have heard that the water around that part of Mexico and Cozumel is always choppy and that it's called "the bathtub" because it's just a constant chop.  But you would think that a bigger boat could handle "chop".  We took a ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel and my youngest was zuking over the side.  :lol:

When we did the Western Caribbean it was not bad at all but the Eastern had much more movement.  Alaskan cruise was a nightmare but by drinking enough I was able to counter the waves and walk just fine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users