#1 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9330 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:14 AM

Tips for finding the best price on a new car? I know the specific model and don't have a strong preference on color. Willing to take a modest drive to pick it up. Apps sites/services?

Also, I never sold a used car. I'll see what they offer as a trade and in and decide if it's worth the hassle, but anyone have experience with selling a used car? Sites/apps and general pitfalls?

#2 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16511 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:22 AM

I my most recent buying experience, there isn't whole lot of negotiating that goes on anymore.  Seems the internet has pretty much leveled the playing field for consumers, so they are offering pretty much their best price out of the gate.  They know that if they don't, you won't even come look at it.  I got $1400 off a 2018 truck w/ 14500miles that I paid $28700 out the door.  

#3 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22264 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:28 AM

Tips for finding the best price on a new car? I know the specific model and don't have a strong preference on color. Willing to take a modest drive to pick it up. Apps sites/services?

Also, I never sold a used car. I'll see what they offer as a trade and in and decide if it's worth the hassle, but anyone have experience with selling a used car? Sites/apps and general pitfalls?

Bill of sale, free and clear title is about all you are going to need to sell your used car. People say I'm an asshole when I sell a used car, because I set the price, and mark it firm..because well...that's exactly what I want out of it. Depending on condition, use the KBB to get a feel for it's value. I don't dicker. I'm not a dicker kind of guy. (well I would dick 'er) I've sold quite a few cars. I did it for a while. Buy at auction, spend some time detailing, sell higher price, profit, go buy another. 

Cash moves everything around me...

#4 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95113 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:34 AM

Near as I can tell, you're best off just spamming dealers about 3 days from the end of the month, hoping that they're just a unit or two short of a sales goal.

#5 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6472 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:59 AM

Email lots of dealers. Tell them exactly what you want and request an out the door price. Tell them that you'll buy within two weeks. Use the lowest bid to negotiate with other responding dealers.

#6 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66248 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:41 AM

For the sell/trade it depends on your level of tolerance for hassle. I've sold a couple cars on craigslist and I've traded a couple in to dealers. Dealers always lowball you but it's an easier process.

#7 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95113 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:53 AM

I have ethical issues with sharing one dealer's quote with another, but it's still good to gather several and then give them a few days to think about coming down.

#8 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66248 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:57 AM

I have ethical issues with sharing one dealer's quote with another

I'm curious about this. How is it different than any other price comparison between two competing retailers?

#9 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6472 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:59 AM

I have ethical issues with sharing one dealer's quote with another, but it's still good to gather several and then give them a few days to think about coming down.

No need to share the quote. Tell them another unspecified dealer has offered the vehicle at a specific price. They have the option to match or not match. 

#10 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9330 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:29 AM

Thanks so far. Anyone use Truecar.com? 

Last time I did this, I got the best deal getting quotes from the Internet, but that was several years ago. I'll get some quotes and contact the Internet or main sales manager at my local place and see what they say. I figure I'll bring the old car in and see what they offer and go from there. It's an older model, so I assume they'll just flip it to auction, so not sure they'll offer much. We'll see how much the Easy Button is worth to me.

#11 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66248 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:31 AM

I kind of want to use Carvana just so I can pick up my car out of a car vending machine

#12 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95113 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:34 AM

I'm curious about this. How is it different than any other price comparison between two competing retailers?

I'm not arguing at all against a price comparison. I'm talking about sharing one dealer's price with another.

#13 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66248 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

I'm not arguing at all against a price comparison. I'm talking about sharing one dealer's price with another.

OK, but I'm still curious.  Can I not share Walmart's price on bread with Target?

#14 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95113 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

No need to share the quote. Tell them another unspecified dealer has offered the vehicle at a specific price. They have the option to match or not match.

Yep. I agree with that. But to me, that's functionally the same as saying "if you can sell it for $x, I'll sign today."

#15 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66248 posts

Not trying to be snarky - I'm genuinely curious as it would not ever have occurred to me that it was unethical to tell one retailer what another retailer was listing as their retail price for an item.

#16 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9330 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:37 AM

Also, does anyone pay delivery/destination fee? I think I've always nixed that, but maybe because I buy off the lot. I see they're now wanting $1000 now.

#17 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27524 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:38 AM

IME, negotiation is very much alive and well. You need to be able to walk away and let them stew on it. They'll call you back.

#18 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95113 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

OK, but I'm still curious. Can I not share Walmart's price on bread with Target?

If you've ever purchased a car, then you know, right or wrong, that the approach is significantly different from buying retail bread. A better analogy might be getting a bid from a specialty bakery on an event and then mailing it to a competitor asking if they can best that. I try to respect proprietary pricing information.

Also, does anyone pay delivery/destination fee? I think I've always nixed that, but maybe because I buy off the lot. I see they're now wanting $1000 now.

It's been $900 for some time, but it's kind of irrelevant unless you're walking in offering MSRP. (don't do that, generally)

#19 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66248 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

If you've ever purchased a car, then you know, right or wrong, that the approach is significantly different from buying retail bread. A better analogy might be getting a bid from a specialty bakery on an event and then mailing it to a competitor asking if they can best that. I try to respect proprietary pricing information.

OK, but... couldn't Dealer A just as easily call up Dealer B and ask for their best price while not disclosing they're a dealer?  I get what you're saying but I feel like you're approaching it as if those prices are somehow a secret.

#20 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9330 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

I'd agree with a quote for a specific vehicle, which is what I think you're saying. That's shady.

These guys know everyone's costs and margins, so if they throw a fit over a counter/match they're putting on a show. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PHBT, zombies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users