48 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

I can't say I'm surprised.  citra is much more efficient in terms of imparting hop flavor and aroma.  I'm actually surprised that cascade was still the most widely grown and used.  I pretty much never use it now.

I recently used it for old times sake and I enjoy the beer but you need a LOT of cascade to get a good hop bunch, IMO.

As for Citra, I just had 2 beers from Hill Farmstead that use Citra and Simcoe and one got Mosaic and one got Motueka and I have to say they were great.  Those are 2 combinations I will be trying as they were not overpowering and just worked really well.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:05 AM

I have a pale ale on tap right now with late Cascade and what I like is that Cascade brings a touch of that citrus character but also some of that old-school, slightly dank vibe so it's not just all-fruit-all-the-time.  I suppose that's why you guys like Citra when it's used with something else.  I was drinking this Cascade pale ale last night and really digging it.  No, it's not a blow-the-top-of-your-head-off beer in terms of hops but the balance is right where I want it and the Cascade just seems right to me.  

#23 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:16 AM

To the OP, my thoughts exactly, but instead of being directed at Citra, my wrath is directed at Simcoe.

A vile, disgusting hop.  Never had a beer with Simcoe in it that I liked.

A beer that I used to like, a lot, was GLBC Commodore Perry IPA.  Then, sometime way back, they changed the hop bill to use Simcoe for bittering.

Blech.  Never again.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

To the OP, my thoughts exactly, but instead of being directed at Citra, my wrath is directed at Simcoe.

A beer that I used to like, a lot, was GLBC Commodore Perry IPA.  Then, sometime way back, they changed the hop bill to use Simcoe for bittering.

Blech.  Never again.

I hear you but understand that this is not about a hop that I don't like... it's about a hop that I like that I just run into entirely too often.  

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:07 AM

Blech.  Never again.

Simcoe is my #1 favorite hop .. Love Simcoe.

#26 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

.... and don't get me started about all the malt these breweries are puttin in their beer.....  malt, malt, malt....  :)

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

.... and don't get me started about all the malt these breweries are puttin in their beer.....  malt, malt, malt....  :)

Worst than that is yeast .. who wants fungi in their beer?!  

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:36 PM

Worst than that is yeast .. who wants fungi in their beer?!  

Eeewwwwwwww

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:07 PM

I like Citra. I like Cascade (and I don't find it weak, really). I like Citra and Cascade together.

#30 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

My go to combo was always Cascade, Amarillo and...dare I say... SIMCOE!

Simcoe's my absolute favorite. Though Penrose is making Chinook grow on me too.

Funny how I'm still preferring the "old" hops when there are so many new ones lately. 

#31 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:06 PM

My go to combo was always Cascade, Amarillo and...dare I say... SIMCOE!

Simcoe's my absolute favorite. Though Penrose is making Chinook grow on me too.

Funny how I'm still preferring the "old" hops when there are so many new ones lately. 

Man Penrose has some great hoppy beers in that taproom.

#32 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:48 PM

Man Penrose has some great hoppy beers in that taproom.

What's interesting is that they didn't even have an IPA when I first tried them!

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:16 AM

What's interesting is that they didn't even have an IPA when I first tried them!

Yeah I think their focus shifted rather quickly when they realized what sells. 

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:42 AM

I can't say I'm surprised.  citra is much more efficient in terms of imparting hop flavor and aroma.  I'm actually surprised that cascade was still the most widely grown and used.  I pretty much never use it now.

I still use it frequently.  Citra is so different I don't consider it to be interchangeable with Cascade.

I like a beer that's dry malted.....

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

I still use it frequently.  Citra is so different I don't consider it to be interchangeable with Cascade.

it's definitely not but cascade doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was.  people don't seem as interested in it anymore.  I still like it but there are just so many hops out there it's hard to come back to it.

#36 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

it's definitely not but cascade doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was.  people don't seem as interested in it anymore.  I still like it but there are just so many hops out there it's hard to come back to it.

I think that's the deal. Cascade has always been the "workhorse, American" hop. It's in everything and while it's great by itself it lets other hops shine too.

with the amount of exotic, international hops out there, Cascade just doesn't have the charm it once did. that said, It's still freaking awesome!

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:21 PM

I think that's the deal. Cascade has always been the "workhorse, American" hop. It's in everything and while it's great by itself it lets other hops shine too.

with the amount of exotic, international hops out there, Cascade just doesn't have the charm it once did. that said, It's still freaking awesome!

I agree, it's awesome and it's been around for a very long time.  I think one issue is that Citra seems to be mostly fruit where Cascade combines fruit with some amount of either wood or dank.  Cascade is not nearly as fruity as Citra so it seems to come across as "more beery" to be.  All that said, I still like Citra beers.  It just seems like everyone is making them and there seems to be some overlap/overload.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:41 AM

I agree, it's awesome and it's been around for a very long time.  I think one issue is that Citra seems to be mostly fruit where Cascade combines fruit with some amount of either wood or dank.  Cascade is not nearly as fruity as Citra so it seems to come across as "more beery" to be.  All that said, I still like Citra beers.  It just seems like everyone is making them and there seems to be some overlap/overload.

I know citra is described as "fruity" but to me it's a more traditional citrus hop like flavor than some of the other newer "fruity" hops where you could almost convince me someone put actual fruit in the beer.

#39 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:06 AM

That said I was just telling my wife last night that no one really appreciates pils. I have a pils made with some Vienna malt in the mix (makes it slightly more rich) that I find so enjoyable to drink. Most people just think it's like fancy bud because it's not like a flavor explosion that rocks all of you senses.

There is some hope :P

Last weekend I was at an annual party hosted by a local brewer, turn out was somewhat low due to the weather, but there were a dozen craft brewers and eight home brewers and my corny of POP (Plain Ole Pils) got kicked. Nothing but pils, perle, hallertau and spalt. There was plenty of Citra and NEIPA there...

My most popular beer of the summer (four batches so far) with friends and family has been an extra pale ale with willamette, chinook, cascade and centennial.

#40 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

My most popular beer of the summer (four batches so far) with friends and family has been an extra pale ale with willamette, chinook, cascade and centennial.

That sounds delightful... recipe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users