48 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

Occasionally I get to a point where various craft beers grind on me.  I'm sure I went through a Belgian phase (basically avoiding all of them), a bourbon-barrel phase and a number of others.  The latest thing to frost my flakes... Citra beers.  I know, I know...  I could lose my membership for saying that but it's true.  At least it's true today.  The issue I'm having is that every craft APA, IPA (session or otherwise) or Blonde Ale that I pick up seems to taste really, really similar.  Like they were all brewed from a very similar blueprint.  I was in GA last weekend and I ended up drinking Yuengling because I can't get it at home and also Victoria because it's 4% and I knew my BIL was going to chase me with bourbon, vodka and tequila too.  Occasionally I would see one or two craft beers in their fridge or my nephews would come over with a number of local craft beers which I ordinarily love to try.  Every one of them tasted the same... CITRA!  I bet I had 10-12 different beers from 8-10 different breweries.  Some didn't have a "style" associated with it (RED DIRT ALE... I'm making this up) while others were described as pale ale, session IPA or blonde ale.  Citra, citra, citra.  At some point I said, "Mmm, yes... this is a very familiar taste.  These are started to taste the same".  I'm sure it's a fad but for now I'm avoiding Citra.  :D

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:34 PM

Citra does get old but people love it and it makes a predictable beer. I still like it but like it more when it is part of a hop blend.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:40 PM

Well, you also know that I'm inclined to lean away from those beers and either try commercial versions only or else brew my own version of it which would (as you suggest) have a blend of hops but my homebrewed versions would also have less hops in general.  These beers I tried were not necessarily HOP BOMBS but they seemed to be one-dimensional and all in the latest Citra style.  Guys, there are a lot of other hops out there too.  :D

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

Citra makes $ for breweries and they are not going to change it up when they know the return. I am happy to have lots of options here :)

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

I am just happy when I can get my hoppy styles fresh. Which hops were used is pretty secondary to me. I try to pay attention to which hops were used in any beer I drink, if the information is available. Cant say I've burned out on Citra quite yet but it's also been a while since I've used it.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:49 PM

Citra. The one hop, to me easily spotted. Mosaic the same to spot (to me.) I recently enjoyed several of these IPA’s in Boston, laced with one or both hops and I gotta say I loved them all with unbridled enthusiasm. I got several short pours to choose one to pint and I always chose the most one decadent. These beers although similar also had distinctions. I consistently picked the least bitter, more hop forward ones. As much as I wanted to come home and make one, I’ll still go to my favorite familiar flavors. I don’t think any of the creative and individual breweries up there set out to make twins. I do think they’re taking advantage of what drinkers are seeking. That rhetoric spewed, my next exotic hop in a currently undetermined recipe will use Hallertau Blanc :)

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:40 AM

I always like to have a citra beer on tap but I usually won't have more than one at a time. It's popular for a reason!

That said I was just telling my wife last night that no one really appreciates pils. I have a pils made with some Vienna malt in the mix (makes it slightly more rich) that I find so enjoyable to drink. Most people just think it's like fancy bud because it's not like a flavor explosion that rocks all of you senses.

Edited by pickle_rick, 07 September 2018 - 02:41 AM.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:03 AM

Make Pils great again. I’m making one tomorrow morning and yes, with a touch of Vienna

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:30 AM

Make Pils great again.

it never stopped.  people just lost their way.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:20 AM

it never stopped.  people just lost their way.

We need to lure them back with a double hazy pastry pilsner and can save the regular pilsner for the true believers :)

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:45 AM

We need to lure them back with a double hazy pastry pilsner and can save the regular pilsner for the true believers :)

I can't even.  Side note drezz, I enjoyed the crap out of several IPA's in Boston :)

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:55 AM

I can't even.  Side note drezz, I enjoyed the crap out of several IPA's in Boston :)

I bet you did.  I will say we have a very nice beer scene up here in the northeast!  Glad you enjoyed yourself!!

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:56 AM

I guess my issue is something that is just overdone... over & over.  Clearly a glut of bland, fizzy American lagers isn't good either.  It's just like someone gets the idea in their head and it spreads and everyone is making a very similar beer.  My niece and her fiance live north of Atlanta in Decatur.  He told me that SEVEN small breweries all opened in Decatur recently.  I'm not sure how big the town is but that just sounds like a lot of competition.  I'm sure that every one of those breweries has a Citra-flavored ale on their menu.  Maybe it's because we're brewers and beer snobs that we notice it.  Normal beer drinkers might be all Mmm, I like that beer that has the citrusy character! while we might be like Hmm, AGAIN with the Citra!?!?  :lol:

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:11 AM

I guess my issue is something that is just overdone... over & over.  Clearly a glut of bland, fizzy American lagers isn't good either.  It's just like someone gets the idea in their head and it spreads and everyone is making a very similar beer.  My niece and her fiance live north of Atlanta in Decatur.  He told me that SEVEN small breweries all opened in Decatur recently.  I'm not sure how big the town is but that just sounds like a lot of competition.  I'm sure that every one of those breweries has a Citra-flavored ale on their menu.  Maybe it's because we're brewers and beer snobs that we notice it.  Normal beer drinkers might be all Mmm, I like that beer that has the citrusy character! while we might be like Hmm, AGAIN with the Citra!?!?  :lol:

I think the beer geeks,snobs,whatever are the reason there are so many citra beers.  

Meanwhile I am writing up a recipe to use up some of the 3#'s of Hallertau I have along with some Andechs yeast and finalizing a new rendition of my smoked brown ale :)  Beer snobs will shudder at both!

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:13 AM

I think the beer geeks,snobs,whatever are the reason there are so many citra beers.  

Meanwhile I am writing up a recipe to use up some of the 3#'s of Hallertau I have along with some Andechs yeast and finalizing a new rendition of my smoked brown ale :)  Beer snobs will shudder at both!

And I'll drink both of yours.  Is it bad that Hallertau ranks as one of my favorites and go-to's?

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:15 AM

And I'll drink both of yours.  Is it bad that Hallertau ranks as one of my favorites and go-to's?

I will too :)

No, not in my book.  I have noticed a shift where I have been reaching for more "classics" over the new school hops.  Everything seems to go in cycles for me.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:17 AM

I guarantee that if beer drinkers flooded my basement they would wonder why there is so much helles, pilsner, festbier, vienna, MLPA, etc.  Also, realize that I have made my fair share of Citra beers (mostly with Amarillo along for the ride) but I guess I'm just burning out on them.  

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

I guarantee that if beer drinkers flooded my basement they would wonder why there is so much helles, pilsner, festbier, vienna, MLPA, etc.  Also, realize that I have made my fair share of Citra beers (mostly with Amarillo along for the ride) but I guess I'm just burning out on them.  

it can be an overpowering hop for sure.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:43 AM

Citra has just surpassed Cascade as the most widely grown and used hop.  I'm not a huge fan of it used alone or in large amounts, but I have found a number of beers that blended it with other hops and I do like those.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

Citra has just surpassed Cascade as the most widely grown and used hop.  I'm not a huge fan of it used alone or in large amounts, but I have found a number of beers that blended it with other hops and I do like those.

I can't say I'm surprised.  citra is much more efficient in terms of imparting hop flavor and aroma.  I'm actually surprised that cascade was still the most widely grown and used.  I pretty much never use it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users