60 replies to this topic

#1 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23361 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:12 AM

I guess that I am easily fascinated by stuff. Too bad Jeff Goldblum already gets paid to go around being professionally fascinated by things. That's be a swell job. When you stop and think now,who is doing the manufacturing in today's economy you can see 3rd world countries making stuff, 2nd world countries that make stuff with the stuff 3rd world countries made, and 1st world countries measuring the stuff made by 2nd world countries using stuff made by 3rd world countries.

To think that there are probably thousands of mills like this cranking out 10 million clicks springs with a side hook that gets shipped to another plant where then take those click springs and make something.whirr and purr in just the right way.

Watching videos like these are fun for me. For all of our advancements, it still relies on some little milling machine somewhere tirelessly cranking out click springs with a hook. 

https://i.imgur.com/DGcS8uu.gifv

#2 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23361 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:16 AM

Springs? Or screws?

What is in the video are springs

#3 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15035 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:19 AM

I think about still like this sometimes.

Stuff like putting on my shoes and thinking, "It's someones job, someplace in the world, to make sure the aglets are done just right."

#4 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23361 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:24 AM

Yep. As advanced and as fancy as we are ... if you boil the ox down to the boullion cube, it's the simple things that keep the wheels turning.

#5 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12351 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:27 AM

I guess that I am easily fascinated by stuff. Too bad Jeff Goldblum already gets paid to go around being professionally fascinated by things. That's be a swell job. When you stop and think now,who is doing the manufacturing in today's economy you can see 3rd world countries making stuff, 2nd world countries that make stuff with the stuff 3rd world countries made, and 1st world countries measuring the stuff made by 2nd world countries using stuff made by 3rd world countries.

To think that there are probably thousands of mills like this cranking out 10 million clicks springs with a side hook that gets shipped to another plant where then take those click springs and make something.whirr and purr in just the right way.

Watching videos like these are fun for me. For all of our advancements, it still relies on some little milling machine somewhere tirelessly cranking out click springs with a hook. 

https://i.imgur.com/DGcS8uu.gifv

That machine looks like something from the TM series of wire forming machines from Oriimec, a Japanese company:

https://www.oriimec....products/tm-20m

Usually, "milling machine" refers to a very different type of machine, that video was of a wire forming machine.   

Edited by davelew, 05 September 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#6 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15380 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

I love manufacturing. That's why I do it. 

I'm a machinist. Someone like me has been involved in every man made thing you see. 

"You didn't build that." ~Obama

"Yes. Yes I did." ~ A Machinist

#7 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12351 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:54 AM

I'm a machinist. Someone like me has been involved in every man made thing you see. 

Dude, this is a discussion about cool machines, no neat to bring out-of-context political quotes into it.

#8 Larry Vaughn

Larry Vaughn

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27682 posts
  • LocationThe Mayor Of Shark City

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:59 AM

WTF does this mean? The only tool mentioned here is you

#9 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15380 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:21 AM

Dude, this is a discussion about cool machines, no neat to bring out-of-context political quotes into it.

It's in context for me. I build. That's what I do. If someone tries to discount my achievements or take that away from me, it's in context.  

#10 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9116 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:24 AM

I am fascinated by factories and how someone designs a machine to make anything. They used to have a show on Discovery about how things are made. I watched in pure awe for 20 minutes brooms being made from start to finish

#11 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12351 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:47 AM

It's in context for me. I build. That's what I do. If someone tries to discount my achievements or take that away from me, it's in context.  

The "that" in Obama's line referred to roads and bridges that products were shipped over.  He was saying that it takes an interconnected economy, different people and different companies helping each other, for anybody to be successful.  You probably couldn't build much in your machine shop if there weren't roads and bridges and ports to enable machines, and stock metal to be delivered to your shop.

In the same way, someone making a laptop computer probably relies on the guy making a wireforming machine so that the battery catch in the laptop can have a decent spring in it-- they might not even know what a wireforming is or have ever seen one, but it is crucial to their success.  The genius of our capitalist system is that it brings so many technologies together and allocates resources so effectively.  You may build things, but you also rely on other people to mine metals (and people to build mining equipment to enable better cheaper mining), and you rely on other people to generate electricity.

#12 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23361 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

That machine looks like something from the TM series of wire forming machines from Oriimec, a Japanese company:

https://www.oriimec....products/tm-20m

Usually, "milling machine" refers to a very different type of machine, that video was of a wire forming machine.   

When I said "mill" I was thinking of more of a facility where these machines make stuff. ie: cotton mill, plastics mill, etc

Edited by glassonion, 05 September 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#13 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96259 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

Of course, much of man's recent accomplishments have been in the realm of knowledge, which is not directly seen. The final step of actually stamping it out of plastic or whatever, well it's hard to beat China on price. :P

#14 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29355 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:11 PM

Someone recently posted a video about how bowling balls are made.  Off-topic, possibly but I like seeing all of that "how things are made" stuff.  I also know a number of mechanical engineers who build machines to do stuff.  When they get together they swap stories... The latest one was a machine that grabbed the syringes and then filled them, placed the label on them, sealed them up and then dropped the filled syringe into a bin... that sort of thing.  Cool.

Actually... a lot of the work in the above video is pretty manual. 

#15 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17750 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

Those How It's Made shows always seemed to focus on things that required a good deal of manual effort. "A worker attaches the..."

#16 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35558 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

So thirsty for cotton gin

#17 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25753 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:55 AM

Someone recently posted a video about how bowling balls are made.  Off-topic, possibly but I like seeing all of that "how things are made" stuff.  I also know a number of mechanical engineers who build machines to do stuff.  When they get together they swap stories... The latest one was a machine that grabbed the syringes and then filled them, placed the label on them, sealed them up and then dropped the filled syringe into a bin... that sort of thing.  Cool.

Actually... a lot of the work in the above video is pretty manual. 

That shot at 1:38 though.. 

#18 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68053 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

When I said "mill" I was thinking of more of a facility where these machines make stuff. ie: cotton mill, plastics mill, etc

know how I can tell you're from the South? :D

#19 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4418 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:30 PM

We have a rich history of gathering near the plastic mill for Church suppers.  :)

#20 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6223 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:38 PM

Probably my favorite part of my job.  

Tons of kinds of candy, sandwiches, beer, diapers, paper towels, pharmaceuticals, construction materials.  I've seen a lot of stuff being made. I rarely get to deal directly with the process, but still get to see what's going on as I work on the utilities around it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users