2 pounds of chopped cooked sausage of your choice
1.5 cups of rice (more if you like)
2 cans of beef consommé
1 can of rotel drained
1 can of black beans drained
1 can of corn drained
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
Tony’s or your favorite Cajun spiced to your liking.

Put all in rice cooker and hit start. Will be done a ready to serve when it’s done.

I’ve never done with other meats or seafood, but I suppose that could be done.

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47917 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:22 PM

Needs celery.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 September 2018 - 06:40 AM

I'm no jambalaya expert (as in I know very little about the dish but I assume it's one of those things where there can be quite a bit of variation) but I also like the addition of celery.  I also like to use fresh chopped tomatoes and jalapenos.

is it normal to add some herbs (thyme, oregano, bay leaves)?  I usually do that as well.

#4 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43050 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:54 AM

Yes.. usually celery is included, along with bell pepper, and onion(Cajun Trinity)

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

Yes.. usually celery is included, along with bell pepper, and onion(Cajun Trinity)

trinitteeeeeeee!

#6 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43050 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:09 PM

Muh neighbuh

#7 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111732 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

Celery is a tool of the devil. I often substitute celery salt instead.

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47917 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 02 September 2018 - 06:42 PM

What? I like celery salt in a lot of things, but it's ground seed and doesn't taste like the stalks at all.

#9 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

Buy organic.  I hated celery until I bought organic celery.  For most veggies, it just doesn't matter flavor wise.  Celery is different.  It is bitter and nasty when it's not organic.  Organic celery has a peppery flavor that really enhances dishes.  I also chop it small so I don't notice the strings, and brown it.  It takes on a better flavor once it begins to brown.  It has gone from one of my most hated veggies to one that I use all the time.  

I also buy organic carrots and organic cabbage.  The carrots are much sweeter, and the cabbage actually tastes like cabbage.  The non-organic cabbage tastes like nothing, and although it is cheap in comparison, I'm just not into eating flavorless food.

#10 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111732 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

What? I like celery salt in a lot of things, but it's ground seed and doesn't taste like the stalks at all.

I think it's reminiscent enough to work. I really don't dig celery.

Buy organic. I hated celery until I bought organic celery. For most veggies, it just doesn't matter flavor wise. Celery is different. It is bitter and nasty when it's not organic. Organic celery has a peppery flavor that really enhances dishes. I also chop it small so I don't notice the strings, and brown it. It takes on a better flavor once it begins to brown. It has gone from one of my most hated veggies to one that I use all the time.

I also buy organic carrots and organic cabbage. The carrots are much sweeter, and the cabbage actually tastes like cabbage. The non-organic cabbage tastes like nothing, and although it is cheap in comparison, I'm just not into eating flavorless food.

Biggest issue I have with organic is shelf life. Organic vegetables seem to last maybe two days in the fridge where the non organic version might last 10.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:43 PM

Buy organic.  I hated celery until I bought organic celery.  For most veggies, it just doesn't matter flavor wise.  Celery is different.  It is bitter and nasty when it's not organic.  Organic celery has a peppery flavor that really enhances dishes.  I also chop it small so I don't notice the strings, and brown it.  It takes on a better flavor once it begins to brown.  It has gone from one of my most hated veggies to one that I use all the time.  

I also buy organic carrots and organic cabbage.  The carrots are much sweeter, and the cabbage actually tastes like cabbage.  The non-organic cabbage tastes like nothing, and although it is cheap in comparison, I'm just not into eating flavorless food.

I found that I liked organic carrots a lot more.  maybe I should give celery a try...

#12 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43050 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:58 PM

Biggest issue I have with organic is shelf life. Organic vegetables seem to last maybe two days in the fridge where the non organic version might last 10.

This....

I bought a bunch of organic green onions on Sunday, and went to use them yesterday, and poof... wilted and unusable

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47917 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:50 PM

This....

I bought a bunch of organic green onions on Sunday, and went to use them yesterday, and poof... wilted and unusable

I don't think I've ever knowingly bought organic produce, but if this is true then WTF are they doing to 'regular' produce to make it last 5 times as long?

#14 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19041 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:42 PM

Weird. I've never noticed a lifespan difference with conventional vs organic produce.

#15 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43050 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

Me neither but it happend to me recently and I had a WTF moment

I don't think I've ever knowingly bought organic produce, but if this is true then WTF are they doing to 'regular' produce to make it last 5 times as long?

Do you even Brawndo, bro?

#16 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:18 AM

I think it's reminiscent enough to work. I really don't dig celery.

Where are you getting your produce at?  I get mine at Cosco and Meijer and the organic celery last at least a month before I have to throw it out.  Celery has a really long shelf life.  Organic carrots will sit in my fridge for up to 3 months.  Cauliflower is about 3-4 weeks.  Leeks last only 2-3 weeks, and the green onions a week.  The green onions are the worst, but they are with non-organic as well.  I knew a person who was pretty high up at an insurance company that dealt in restaurant liability insurance.  She wouldn't touch green onions because they are the worst veggie about getting people sick.  I buy organic whenever I can with those to try to reduce that risk.  I'll put up with the short shelf life.  The only organic thing that has disappointed me was the cilantro.  It didn't taste like anything.   

#17 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111732 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:04 AM

I get most of my stuff from Sprouts (organic or not.) The worst offenders IME are greens.  Organic cabbage doesn't last more than 3 days.  Same with organic bagged spinach/salad greens... I will try to buy enough on Sunday for my wife to make salads all week and if I buy organic then by Thursday it's gone brown and wilty.   I've even noticed it with apples, which don't get refrigerated, the organic ones tend to end up mealy and soft more quickly.

Green Onions are also pretty bad, if I buy them on a Sunday I better use them by Tuesday if they're organic. It's true that non-organic ones aren't great either but I have seen a definite difference.  Carrots definitely last a long time, no issues there.  Cauliflower seems OK too.  In fact, aside from greens, it seems like most things that stay refrigerated are OK.  Things like apples, squash, potatoes, etc that are kept at room temperature/out on the counter seem to suffer the most.

#18 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19041 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

I'm thinking people are attributing qualities to organic vs conventional when there are probably more likely explanations like plant breed, soil, post-harvest handling, etc. in many if not most cases.

#19 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43050 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:37 AM

Celery, and cabbage last for ever... organic or not

#20 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111732 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

I'm thinking people are attributing qualities to organic vs conventional when there are probably more likely explanations like plant breed, soil, post-harvest handling, etc. in many if not most cases.

Could be, but my experience has been consistent enough that there are certain things I just won't buy organic anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users