#1 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47717 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:58 AM

I'm looking at getting a high end homeowner/farm saw.  I have a buttload of downed wood to cut.  mostly smaller stuff, but a few larger limbs (~16"?) and a few larger trees (24"+) in the back 40 that are going to need to be downed in the next couple of years.  I've been borrowing my buddy's 42cc Poulan.  It's functional but it really struggles on the bigger stuff and is a bitch to keep running.  If I'm going to pony up for a saw I want one that will run for 20 years and will never be lacking in power for what I'm doing.  There's a high probability that I'll develop a backcountry lot at some time in the future, which would mean extensive felling.  Most stuff around here is new growth, even up north, so I don't see the need for a saw that can wield a massive bar.  It looks to me like you need a little north of 4hp to handle a 24-25" bar.  So I was targeting that range.  I'll probably keep an 18" or 20" on it most of the time.

So far considering Stihl MS 391, Husqvarna 460 Rancher.  Thoughts?  Other brands/models to look at?

#2 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47717 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:08 AM

Ooops, mod please move to PH.

#3 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13346 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:19 AM

Feck you and yer fecking chainsaw. There. Now it has to stay here. :P

#4 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45455 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:24 AM

You know who uses chainsaws? Hillary!! Those bodies don't just disappear on their own.

#5 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13346 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:34 AM

You know who uses chainsaws? Hillary!! Those bodies don't just disappear on their own.

I know!!!

#6 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47717 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:48 AM

<_<

#7 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5719 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:50 AM

So far considering Stihl MS 391, Husqvarna 460 Rancher. Thoughts? Other brands/models to look at?

I can only speak for the Stihl. Our focus at work varies over time, but when we are doing pole replacements I use a Stihl Farm Boss daily, and it just goes. Mine starts on the second pull every time - the first pull is with the choke on, it fires & stops. Flip off the choke, pull it again and it runs like a raped ape. We cut old creosote treated poles into chunks to carry out of back yards. They often have nails embedded in them, and the pole butts are sticky and coated in dirt. We scrape off what we can, and the saw just does its job. It's the worst case testing grounds for a chainsaw.

I'm sure the Husky does great, but I have no experience with them.

#8 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17515 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

The top brands are all good. Buy one from a dealer near you that treats you well and doesn't screw you on repairs. 

#9 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14379 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:55 AM

I'd just say feck it and go with something like the Greenworks 18" electric chain saw, but then I hate small engine maintenance.  I'd find a hired man to deal with anything my 18 incher was too small for (and yes, you can quote me on that).

#10 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64865 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:55 AM

Stihl Farm Boss.

Husky Racher

buy the one that you get the best deal on.  if they are the same price get the one from the shop that has the best service.  if they are at the same shop flip a coin.

#11 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8214 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:59 AM

The majority of your cutting will be smaller trees right?   Do you want to lug a large chainsaw that is over powered and sized 80%+ of the time?    If you are only occasionally cutting huge trees, then you can still use a 16" bar chainsaw.  You just have to know what you are doing and be safe.   Your back might thank you 80% of the time....  Hopefully that makes sense.

With that being said, I own the Husq 435 (16") and my father in law owns the Husq 440 (18" bar).   I've used both many times for many hours per day and never once have i wished "Man, i could really use 2 more inches and some extra weight to carry around!"  

(go ahead and make your 2 inch jokes)

#12 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64865 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:01 AM

better to have to much and not need than to need more and not have it.

TWSS

#13 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8214 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:01 AM

The top brands are all good. Buy one from a dealer near you that treats you well and doesn't screw you on repairs. 

This.  But if you buy from lowe's, here is a $20 off code  470000607011336

#14 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5719 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:02 AM

I'll add that I have been VERY impressed with the Stihl battery powered saws. I was shocked at how much power they have and with battery life. If you have one spare battery you can keep going for a very full day. I wouldn't fell a large oak with one, but shy of that, it will do it all.

#15 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47717 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:10 AM

The majority of your cutting will be smaller trees right?   Do you want to lug a large chainsaw that is over powered and sized 80%+ of the time?    If you are only occasionally cutting huge trees, then you can still use a 16" bar chainsaw.  You just have to know what you are doing and be safe.   Your back might thank you 80% of the time....  Hopefully that makes sense.

With that being said, I own the Husq 435 (16") and my father in law owns the Husq 440 (18" bar).   I've used both many times for many hours per day and never once have i wished "Man, i could really use 2 more inches and some extra weight to carry around!"  

(go ahead and make your 2 inch jokes)

The extra 2" is only for the wife anyway, amirite?

#16 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9254 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:19 AM

My Farm Boss never lets me down. It’s a work horse. I know 2-3 people with them also and they too swear by it.

#17 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64439 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:21 AM

Stihl, Husqvarna or Johnsered, at least 60cc and 18 inch bar for what you are describing, buy it from a real power equipment dealer if possible.  Get at least 2 extra chains, skip toothed. 

#18 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9254 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:22 AM

I’ll add mine is 11 years old. My friends are of a similar age.

#19 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64865 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:22 AM

My Farm Boss never lets me down. It’s a work horse. I know 2-3 people with them also and they too swear by it.

my dad has three stihls and a husky, 2 of the stihls are farm boss's, they get the most use of the bunch.

#20 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47717 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:25 AM

My everyday hardware store is a Stihl dealer...and VERY close.  I bought my Stihl multi tool from them.  There's another Husqvarna+Stihl dealer not too much further away.  The Husq+Stihl dealer also maintains my generator so i have a relationship with both places.  I'll check on prices and see what they can do.

Stihl Farm Boss.

Husky Racher

buy the one that you get the best deal on.  if they are the same price get the one from the shop that has the best service.  if they are at the same shop flip a coin.

The Farm Boss is 50cc, the 450 Rancher would be the equivalent for $399.  Although Amazon has the 460 Rancher (60cc) for $458 on Prime.  You need to step up to the Stihl MS 391 to get 60cc.  the MS 391 is on sale right now for $560 with 20" bar.  Is it worth $100 more than the 460 Rancher?  Hmmmm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users