32 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

Im a fan. They keep on making great beer at SN. This year it is a collaboration with Weihenstephaner and it's little darker and richer than last year's. 

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:35 PM

I have heard good things about it and need to grab some. I still have some of last years in the back of the beer fridge.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

I have heard good things about it and need to grab some. I still have some of last years in the back of the beer fridge.

Yeah I thought last year's was excellent as well. Different beer, though just as excellent to my tastes.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

Had 2 sixers of this year's SN O-fest since its release.  Solid beer.

#5 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

I just picked up my 2nd sixer of it; solid beer. Also, I picked up a 6 pack of Weihenstephaner's Festbier- never had it til this year- on the dry side, but it is so damn crushable.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

I still have some 17 bottles.  :rolleyes:

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:06 AM

it's been a while since I've had an american made o'fest that I actually liked.  they always seem to be over the top flavor wise.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:53 AM

I generally don't care for American-made oktoberfests for the same reason... they seem like they have crystal in them or they're too hoppy or whatever.  Not that the beer isn't good but it just doesn't seem like an oktoberfest to me.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:15 AM

I generally don't care for American-made oktoberfests for the same reason... they seem like they have crystal in them or they're too hoppy or whatever. Not that the beer isn't good but it just doesn't seem like an oktoberfest to me.

It often seems that craft Brewers can't leave well enough alone with this style. I suspect they think the craft drinking public will think it's too boring. They might be right.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:39 AM

I've always thought that American breweries were unable to restrain themselves enough to make German styles.  I happened to be hiking in Boulder last week and ran into another guy who was out there and after talking with him for a few minutes, he revealed that he was a commercial brewer.  We started talking about the CO beer culture and ended up discussing this very topic... American breweries seem to whiff on German styles because they tend to make their recipes more complex and cluttered where Germans tend to be more simple and straightforward.  My oktoberfest lager is in primary now... 2 grains (pilsner and Munich 2... 65/35), one hop (Magnum added at the start of the boil to about 26-27 IBUs) and Omega Bayern yeast.  That's it.  

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:09 AM

It often seems that craft Brewers can't leave well enough alone with this style. I suspect they think the craft drinking public will think it's too boring. They might be right.

If you can find Copper Legend by Jack's Abby give it a try.  I am not sure if JA makes it up your way.

#12 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:14 AM

I'd Sam Adams O-fest in the "too much crystal malt" category. 

But to me, the SN Ofest is much leaner and lighter-bodied.  Much more in line with the imported Ofests I've had over the years.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

I'm sure there are better examples out there.  Some of you have mentioned Von Trapp (which I don't see here) being a good lager brewery.  Maybe it requires an American brewery to be more focused on European styles as opposed to a brewery that does a lot of other styles too... if you make a ton of IPAs, Belgians, etc. then maybe you're more likely to whiff on the more finesse styles.  I've had a number of "helles", "pilsner", "oktoberfests", "vienna" beers that just didn't seem very traditional but I have had some pretty nice examples too.  

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:04 AM

If you can find Copper Legend by Jack's Abby give it a try. I am not sure if JA makes it up your way.

I at least see it on tap sometimes at whole foods.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

This years Sierra Nevada O’Fest has no crystal malt in it. No clunky finish. Its good stuff. Drink some.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

16 was better than 17. I haven't seen 18 on the shelf yet.

#17 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

I finally procured some of this year's festbier.    Label says less than 30 days old.    Sadly, I'm very unimpressed...  It's too bitter (a la SN style for pretty much everything) and the malt flavor is just a mess.  Straight up Weihenstephaner Festbier is so much better.    What a bummer. 

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:52 PM

I finally procured some of this year's festbier.    Label says less than 30 days old.    Sadly, I'm very unimpressed...  It's too bitter (a la SN style for pretty much everything) and the malt flavor is just a mess.  Straight up Weihenstephaner Festbier is so much better.    What a bummer. 

This is often my experience with American breweries trying to brew German styles.  It's not always true but it's often true.  

#19 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:56 PM

Much as I hate to say it, this year's SN O-fest has turned out be a bit of a disappointment, after all.

#20 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:16 PM

I think Sam Adams O-Fest this year isn't bad... better than last year. Seems to be hit or miss for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users