#1 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19945 posts
  • LocationDown two, then left.

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:31 PM

Wife is decorating the living room. Not redecorating, decorating. We moved in 7+ years ago without living room furniture, now getting around to using it as a living room. First: new dark strand bamboo flooring is installed.

The wife has carte blanche on decorating. What she wants, she can have. (she is good with our money, so I do not worry about that)

Next up is the window treatments, She likes the cellular fabric style. Fine by me. There are so many choices we do not know where to start.

Now I am a guy that thinks all blinds are messed up, somehow. Seems like all blinds have some sort flaw, broken slats, do not close all the way or do not open all the way, stuck, tangled, you name it. I am a the more simple the better. If she wants some fancy lift up, pull down, double section/color for black out, she will get it.

Does anybody know of a good with brand, stay away from brand? Styles? Features - Pros & cons, The window faces east, I am not distracted by "too hot" or black out for TV glare. I doubt a TV will go in that room.

The window is 94" with 24" screens on each side. We are hoping to get a 94" blind with 24" sections on each side, I cannot confirm if that is an option. Online site are a bit flakey.

PHBT: Go! What do you know? What should I know?

#2 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3242 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hunter douglas is the gold standard and also highest priced.
At the 94 inch width you will face fabric limitations, I can look at the reference guide to see if there are many that’ll go that wide cordless.
If you’re describing a shade that has a room darkening fabric as well as either light filtering or sheer in cordless i’d either go hunter or possibly Alta which is hunter owned and cheaper.
Hunter simply has the best cordless lift design, Alta is decent but all the others will fail eventually at that size if they’ll even go there.
Pm me you’re email and actually width x height as well as color ideas.
Wife can look at hunterdouglas on line easy enough to get ideas.

#3 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19945 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:36 PM

At the 94 inch width you will face fabric limitations, I can look at the reference guide to see if there are many that’ll go that wide cordless.
If you’re describing a shade that has a room darkening fabric as well as either light filtering or sheer in cordless i’d either go hunter or possibly Alta which is hunter owned and cheaper.
Hunter simply has the best cordless lift design, Alta is decent but all the others will fail eventually at that size if they’ll even go there.

Thanks for pointing ,me the right direct.

We do not want a solid 94" wide blind. We are thinking three sections,  24" left, 46" middle, 24" right, the equivalent of 3 independent blinds.

How reliable are the newer type fancy blinds, the variation of the old fashioned up/down style blinds? As I said, seems to me blinds eventually break or get jammed up, so the more complex ones I am suspicious in the first place.

The good news is we do not have kids in the house and I doubt we will be adjusting the blinds very often, a couple times a week.

#4 Don Foolio

Don Foolio

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27526 posts
  • LocationStraight from the bowels of hell!!!

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

See this right here? It’s what the PH is all about! :cheers:

#5 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3242 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for pointing ,me the right direct.

We do not want a solid 94" wide blind. We are thinking three sections, 24" left, 46" middle, 24" right, the equivalent of 3 independent blinds.

How reliable are the newer type fancy blinds, the variation of the old fashioned up/down style blinds? As I said, seems to me blinds eventually break or get jammed up, so the more complex ones I am suspicious in the first place.

The good news is we do not have kids in the house and I doubt we will be adjusting the blinds very often, a couple times a week.

Gotcha, kinda figured that would be the case after re reading the post.
Hunter is very good in the cordless top down bottom up with Alta probably second best. The rest are adequate but can be more butch about stopping and staying where you want them to. Alta is even fussy.
One tip, don’t buy a three on one headrail unit for the three panels. If one has an issue they all have to be removed where if there are three separate shades and one screws up it’s servicable by itself.
Honeycomb shades I’d buy hunter, they’ll give you the best service life.

#6 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19945 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

Gotcha, kinda figured that would be the case after re reading the post.
Hunter is very good in the cordless top down bottom up with Alta probably second best. The rest are adequate but can be more butch about stopping and staying where you want them to. Alta is even fussy.
One tip, don’t buy a three on one headrail unit for the three panels. If one has an issue they all have to be removed where if there are three separate shades and one screws up it’s servicable by itself.
Honeycomb shades I’d buy hunter, they’ll give you the best service life.

Thanks for the input. The wife and I decided to go with three separate blinds. That way if one jams use, the other two are free to operate.

Looking on line at Bali and levalor, only the up and down versions are shown as available. It appears the there are no online Hunter Douglas sales.

Ps. IdaJack, sent you a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users