7 replies to this topic

#1 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6551 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

So, my bestie is morbidly obese.  7 weeks ago, he went in for a check up, and clocked in at 500 on the nose.  Blood sugar all out of whack, borderline diabeetus,eye popping blood pressure etc etc. After a complete workup, it was discovered he is now Insulin resistant.  He's been so fat for so long, that it doesn't matter how much Insulin gets dumped in.  So his doctor put him with a nutritionist, and it was decided to go hard core Keto.  Just to try and get his body to start burning existing fat, instead of just the sugar dumps. 

In 7 weeks, he's gone from 500 to 435.   Very limited carbs and sugars, and a daily caloric intake of roughly 2,500 calories. Blood sugars, and blood pressure back in a normal range.

I'm very proud of him for wanting to not be dead anytime soon.

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31550 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:56 AM

Best of luck to your friend. I know next to nothing about diets but it seems to come up in these discussions that keto works best in extreme situations like his.

#3 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14704 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

Keto works.

I dropped 50 pounds and have managed to keep off 40 of them for going on 18+ months.

Probably going to hit the diet again starting today to get down another 20 or so pounds, (I'd like to get to 170 and maintain that).

#4 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4834 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:50 AM

Basically no carbs, eat healthier, right?

I want to lose 15 or so. I’m going to give this a try here soon.

#5 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21027 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

I say do what works for you..unless it becomes unhealthy. I don't consider myself on a "diet". Mainly because I'm trying to make this a lifestyle rather than something to do when I get fat. Because, if I don't make it a lifestyle then it will become just something I do after I step on the scale and go "Oh shit..that can't be right!"

So for me, just eating less, giving up alcohol in it's entirety, and a couple of other behaviour modifications......weighed myself yesterday and I am right back on the 200 mark. That's my target.

#6 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7304 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

My doc put me on keto, and he was in support of us trying it with our youngest.  So far it is working well.  We think I have a glucose metabolism problem, and I definitely have a glycogen metabolism problem.  The idea is to no longer need to use glucose and no longer store glycogen.  Because of all these complications, the path is a lot trickier than a normal person.  But it works.  I've lost 25 lbs of fluid, probably 20 more to go before I can be in a comfortable keto lifestyle.  I'm on about 10 carbs a day, lots of protein and fats.  Limited, but as much variety as possible, of vegetables, lots of healthy fats and proteins.  I eat grass fed beef, lamb, pastured duck, ocean caught fish and shellfish, and as much homemade goat cheese as I can.  The youngest is our skinny kid, but she has pretty bad attention problems.  Studies are showing that it is very effective at treating mental health issues.  It isn't perfect, but a definite improvement with her ability to pay attention.  She's still annoying, but much more tolerable than before.

#7 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94131 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

I say think of it like amputation. It's crazy enough that someone would have to be nuts to try it as just a means to lose weight, but if you're already fecked on the health front, maybe it can be one of those "what do I have to lose by trying?" kinds of cases. Being 500 pounds and diabetic certainly qualifies.

#8 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24065 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

I say think of it like amputation. It's crazy enough that someone would have to be nuts to try it as just a means to lose weight, but if you're already fecked on the health front, maybe it can be one of those "what do I have to lose by trying?" kinds of cases. Being 500 pounds and diabetic certainly qualifies.

Agreed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users