Photo

Just Got Back From Sunny Southern California.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15085 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:55 AM

Spent some time with Squeak, Stellie and the Parental Support Staff. Glad to have them back in the US.

Now, my thoughts on Seal Beach California:

Nice place. Really, REALLY nice place. The family landed in military housing, (attached to Naval Weapons Station). The kids' school is a block away. They walk to school since there are crossing guards. The beach is an easy 1 mile walk through the sleepy little surf town of Seal Beach.

Just lots of families enjoying the surf, beach and shops there. Very laid back and people were very friendly.

Weather is amazing with highs in the mid to upper 80's every day and lows in the 60's at night. Their apartment doesn't have AC so, we had to buy fans but, they have a large balcony and we enjoyed eating out there every night. Looks like Seal Beach gets an average of 12 inches of rain a year and the temperature doesn't vary much year round. Humidity is around 45%, if that.

The beach is very nice and clean as well. Surfers are out in the morning until 10:00 with families coming out around that time. The surfers are "black balled" from a large section of the beach from the pier down the lifeguard tower 7 after 10:00 AM so families can enjoy the beach durning the day. I spoke with several surfers and they were super nice and friendly. One offered to let me use his extra board, (I politely declined). The surf in the morning on Seal Beach is usually 5-8 swells so, surfing is a big thing there.

Traffic in that area is not bad at all. While there are a lot of people around, the traffic is bearable unless, you venture onto the freeways. The freeways are like Atlanta rush hour traffic most of the time, although, we left for the airport yesterday and it took 20 minutes to get there. I had to go into LA for work one day and it took almost an hour to go 35 miles.

It seems like there is an effort to clean up LA and surrounding areas because I didn't see as much trash on the roadside as compared to 15 years ago, (when I was last out that way).

Businesses in the area are dead serious about their bathrooms, though. Even in Seal Beach, every business has "Facilities are for clients/staff only" signs up. There are public restrooms at the pier in Seal Beach and they are patrolled by the Seal Beach police to discourage vagrants.

Shopping bags are a "thing" out there. If you forget your bags, you pay .10 for each of the shopping bags you use. Now, these bags you buy are like, 10X thicker than your regular "T-shirt" bag from Kroger. This is to encourage reuse. Most people carry their own shopping bags. Since we do that anyway, it's no big deal.

Shopping: Seems Target owns the retail space in SoCal. Ralphs is Kroger with similar pricing/products. Even my Kroger rewards card worked there.

Lemons are not to be found. Seems lemons are very seasonal in SoCal with a lot of the crop going to Asia. Just about the only lemons to be found were Meyer lemons. I found that strange.

Avocados are everywhere with prices ranging from .69 each at Ralphs to, 1.57 each at Pavilions, (very upscale store near the apartment). Fish and seafood is a bit harder to find than I would have thought and we ended up going to Whole Foods for Key West pink shrimp and Cod.

Introduced Chris to Trader Joes.

We had a wonderful trip and enjoyed our time with the family. We will be going back at Thanksgiving to spend a week with them.

With the weather and laid back atmosphere of the area, I can see why people would want to live in that area but, as expected, housing is very expensive and in short supply.

Edited by DuncanDad, 12 August 2018 - 03:56 AM.

#2 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15085 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:18 AM

Oh, and while we were there, I didn't see any human feces or discarded needles on the streets. Even in LA.

#3 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35875 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:32 AM

Any mattressses on the road?

Edited by Brian72, 12 August 2018 - 07:32 AM.

#4 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15085 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:07 AM

Any mattressses on the road?

Why? Was your mom in town? :)

#5 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40367 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

Lol

#6 Larry Vaughn

Larry Vaughn

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27823 posts
  • LocationThe Mayor Of Shark City

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:06 AM

Glad you had a good time... The Orange County beaches are real nice... Suprised about the lack of lemons, very suprised you could only find Meyer lemons.(I have to seek those out of making lemon pie) Traffic does suck on the freeways and there’s a buttload of road improvement/construction projects underway. Did you fly out of LAX, or John Wayne? John Wayne will be way more convienent for you.

#7 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15085 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:22 AM

Glad you had a good time... The Orange County beaches are real nice... Suprised about the lack of lemons, very suprised you could only find Meyer lemons.(I have to seek those out of making lemon pie) Traffic does suck on the freeways and there’s a buttload of road improvement/construction projects underway. Did you fly out of LAX, or John Wayne? John Wayne will be way more convienent for you.

Delta direct flight into and, out of LAX.

The produce guy at Pavilions was the one telling us about the lemon shortage. I thought it was odd but, then again, we get lemons, oranges and other citrus from Florida.

I thought there would be more sea food available as well. Especially, shrimp. At Ralphs, all they had in the way of shrimp was farmed shrimp from Thailand.

#8 Larry Vaughn

Larry Vaughn

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27823 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:55 AM

Delta direct flight into and, out of LAX.
The produce guy at Pavilions was the one telling us about the lemon shortage. I thought it was odd but, then again, we get lemons, oranges and other citrus from Florida.
I thought there would be more sea food available as well. Especially, shrimp. At Ralphs, all they had in the way of shrimp was farmed shrimp from Thailand.

Yeah, I wasn’t aware of a citrus shortage, but I shop at Vons/Safeway.. I don’t like Kroger’s...

If I want fresh local seafood I’ll hit the “Fisherman’s Market” at Ventura Harbor, they open at 0600 on Saturday's I can always get a great assortment... Yellow Fin tuna, albacore, shrimp, lobster, crab, sea bass, yellowtail, mussles(soo good on the bbq) I went last month and jumbo shrimp was $3.50 a lb. Theres also several shops around the county that are just seafood.. If I just need something on the fly I’ll go get it at Vons.. I will hit Vons around the holidays because King Crab legs are dirt cheap then...

#9 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27508 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

Oh, and while we were there, I didn't see any human feces or discarded needles on the streets. 

Please tell me you left them some!

#10 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8938 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

TL/DR can I get Cliff's notes?

#11 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28619 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:24 PM

California would be the perfect place to live if not for the Californians.

#12 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15085 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:49 PM

California would be the perfect place to live if not for the Californians.

How so?

Every single person I had interaction with was nice.

Point: We rented a van so we all could drive down and see the seals/sea lions in La Jolla. We went to pick up the van and the back seat was leaking water, (I have no idea why). The person with Enterprise asked if we wanted another car, (umm, yes). She had another car at another Enterprise site and we could meet her there.

We drove to the other site and she pointed out a brand new Excursion or another Dodge van. I took the Excursion.

She gave us an extra day rental and a nice discount for my troubles.

Surfers on the beach were polite and nice. The lifeguards were fun to talk to. I took a surfing lesson and the instructor was awesome to an old guy punching his bucket list item.

So, while I'm sure there are self centered people in California, I'd probably say no more than the people I've met in Indy or, any other large city. I just didn't seem to run across any of them on this trip.

Edited by DuncanDad, 12 August 2018 - 01:50 PM.

#13 Larry Vaughn

Larry Vaughn

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27823 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:20 PM

California would be the perfect place to live if not for the People who move here from everywhere else.

“Its not like this back home...”

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28619 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

They're just so ... liberal.

#15 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27508 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

Straw possession is a jailable offense!   :frantic:

#16 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7119 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:24 PM

As a State, not really.

#17 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15546 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:29 PM

Swmbo’s cousin owns a tri-plex one block from the ocean. Great little town.

#18 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36701 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

sounds like a nice place.

#19 Larry Vaughn

Larry Vaughn

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27823 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

As a State, not really.

Pretty much this...

#20 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15085 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

Straw possession is a jailable offense!   :frantic:

Plenty of straws going on in that town.

The town seems to be very ecologically aware with recycling and such but, nothing too much about it. If your major income comes from having a clean town and beaches, you tend to keep thing tidy and clean.

So, you hate a State's population based on what you hear from Fox and Friends. Maybe you should run for high office since you are so aware.

For the record, Orange County is pretty conservative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users