BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27967 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

Scooter Vandalism?

As cities like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills struggle to control a rapid proliferation of electric pay-per-minute scooters, some residents are taking matters into their own hands and waging a guerrilla war against the devices. These vandals are destroying or desecrating the vehicles in disturbingly imaginative ways, and celebrating their illegal deeds on social media — in full view of authorities and the public.

When Hassan Galedary of Culver City sees a Bird scooter, a knot in his stomach begins to twist and his teeth clench, he said. The 32-year-old film producer describes the sensation as one of “violent bitterness.”

“I hate Birds more than anyone,” Galedary said. “They suck. People who ride them suck.”

He loathes the scooters so much that he waged what he calls an “insurgency” against them, tossing the contraptions into trash cans on Abbott Kinney Boulevard and down the Culver City Stairs. He even designed a T-shirt of a chick perched on a scooter being shot in the head. Many of his anti-scooter antics have been featured on the Bird Graveyard account.

So where does all this scooter scorn come from?

Galedary grew up on the Westside and said he hates how kids there are paying to ride scooters instead of honoring the local traditions of surfing and skateboarding. He hates the traffic accidents they cause — “Bird on Bird,” “Bird on person” and “Bird on car”— and he hates how they can be left anywhere for pedestrians to trip over.

“The city is already losing so much culture due to gentrification,” Galedary said.

#2 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24836 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

Someone is in serious need of a thorazine drip.

#3 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39540 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

The police really suck if they are posting their destruction of person property and nothing is being done.

#4 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67144 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:48 PM

When I was a kid we had to skateboard uphill both ways in the snow, but at least we didn't pay for it!

#5 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6021 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

They, or something similar came to Cincinnati a couple weeks ago. They are already getting vandalized and hate here.

#6 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35182 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:55 PM

Someone is in serious need of a thorazine drip.

I'll take 3

#7 Don Foolio

Don Foolio

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27526 posts
  • LocationStraight from the bowels of hell!!!

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:12 PM

Actually for what I understand they’ve saturated the area with these scooters, and Santa Monica has a lot of foot traffic on the side walks it common for people to ride these scooters like assholes, and when they’re done.. they just park it where ever and move on...

#8 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6995 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

Actually for what I understand they’ve saturated the area with these scooters, and Santa Monica has a lot of foot traffic on the side walks it common for people to ride these scooters like assholes, and when they’re done.. they just park it where ever and move on...

They are everywhere in San Francisco as well. 

#9 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22862 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:31 AM

Maybe I'm living in the dark ages, or I'm missing something. To clarify: Individuals rent the scooter for $ x  minute. They ride around on their pre-paid minutes and then just abandon the scooter right where you stand? Seems like a deposit hold against your CC until you return said scooter would solve the problem. No? More to it?

#10 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3636 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

Maybe I'm living in the dark ages, or I'm missing something. To clarify: Individuals rent the scooter for $ x minute. They ride around on their pre-paid minutes and then just abandon the scooter right where you stand? Seems like a deposit hold against your CC until you return said scooter would solve the problem. No? More to it?

If It's like the bikes here, they are gps tagged, Abandon it at your destination and someone else rents it from there, or a van collects it and puts it in a selected location. One of the first spots in Chicago to get them is just outside of my back fence. The park behind my house is the base for three of them.
https://www.google.c...9221.html?amp=y

Edited by Dave McG, 11 August 2018 - 08:25 AM.

#11 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14129 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

They’ve infested San Antonio. ####ers are dangerous.

#12 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35182 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

Saw that when i was there a few months ago.  A bunch of high schoolers rolled up on them, stepped off in the middle of the sidewalk--in our way--and wandered into some nearby store.  From what i could tell, it gets worse when driving is involved.  

#13 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29049 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

We've rented bikes this way in a number of places but I believe you always have to return the bikes to one of the designated areas (with a bike rack, the device where you pay, etc)... you can't just leave it anywhere.  

#14 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12165 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:43 AM

Maybe I'm living in the dark ages, or I'm missing something. To clarify: Individuals rent the scooter for $ x  minute. They ride around on their pre-paid minutes and then just abandon the scooter right where you stand? Seems like a deposit hold against your CC until you return said scooter would solve the problem. No? More to it?

There's no place to return them, they are just stored on the sidewalk wherever people leave them.

Basically, the companies that own the scooters are using sidewalk space for free to store the scooters, and it causes problems in places with busy sidewalks.  The business model also means that the scooters migrate towards places with busy sidewalks.  People who regularly use the sidewalks for walking get mad about the scooters that are the sidewalk equivalent of double-parked, blocking the flow of pedestrian traffic. 

#15 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36217 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

I can see why people wouldn't like these

#16 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35182 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

I can see why people wouldn't like these

Oh, so now you can empathize and relate to people, huh?  I don't even know you, bro.  

#17 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hate

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3991 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

Every time I look at this thread title I think NAMBLA

#18 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24520 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:01 PM

https://www.instagra.../birdgraveyard/

#19 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35182 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

This is why I stay away from social media.  All muh boyz send in yo pics of plastic cups that be tippin, but not TIPPED, OVA!!!!!

#20 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11025 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:41 PM

They're all over Denver. I watched several oblivious ####ers blow through intersections against the lights on them. And a couple of douchebags nearly taking people out on sidewalks. Overall, it wasn't horrible, but I can see a few assholes ruining it for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users