Photo

Do you clean your house to surgical standards before guests come over?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32614 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

My parents are like this and so is my wife. We keep our house pretty clean and tidy, but if someone is coming over, my wife goes into full blown clean everything even if it’s clean mode. It’s kinda stupid I think. If your house is so gross that it’s not welcoming to guests, you need to adjust your day to day maintenance. Does anyone think that every toilet in the house always is sparkly every piss?

It’s almost to the point where we need to put a fresh coat of paint on the walls when someone comes by.

#2 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13705 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

not necessarily to surgical standards but my wife cleans the house, more, even if it's already clean.

#3 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21047 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:16 AM

I mean, I don’t.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32614 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

What’s the deal with that? Is it just nervous expenditure of energy?

#5 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13705 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

to be fair to my wife, my MIL is an over the top neat freak so my wife has had this cleaning thing Tiger Mom'd into her head since she was a child

#6 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16764 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

Hens like a clean nest for guests.

#7 BobG

BobG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:32 AM

Surgical? No. We do have a cleaning hierarchy for visitors though. My SIL gets the x-tra clean regimen.
Probably good thing she visits a few times a year.

#8 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6310 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

Guests are prey.

#9 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36217 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

the downstairs toilet gets cleaned for sure to make sure there are no rings or shit stains in there.  otherwise just a little tidying of things that are sitting around on the counter.  our house is already cleaner than most.

#10 BeerBomber

BeerBomber

Comptroller of Brined Cucumber Liplocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6401 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

I have been inside people’s houses that are nasty enough to cause me to want to leave.

Ergo, I like to have my guests comfortable whether they showed up expected or unexpected but not surgical cleanliness.

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32614 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

What’s the point? Are you (the royal you) so embarrassed about how you live that you need to make it seem different to others? I’m of the mind that I keep my space neat, tidy, and clean all the time. Superfluous cleaning is superfluous

#12 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29049 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

Surgical, no.  Clean yes.  I think it goes like this:  On a standard day it might be fine for those shoes to be right there and for those coffee grounds to still be in the sink or for that towel to still be in the bathroom, etc.  When guests come by then I think it makes sense to just look at your house with a new set of eyes and try to see what's not really good to leave that way.  Also, if people are just coming over for a couple hours, that's one thing.  If they're actually STAYING with you for a few days, then the bathrooms might need more attention (showers, etc) and maybe you need to get some fresh toiletries.  If the weather is nice, I end up cleaning up the yard, cutting the grass, getting the pool ready, etc.  

Everyday life can be hectic and dust can collect in places where you don't ordinarily notice, etc. but guests might.  I admit it:  Our house is usually neat and I'm a neat person but I don't clean all surfaces everyday so it's not going to be really clean if someone pops in.  We also cook A LOT which means our kitchen requires some addition work and we don't have time everyday to make sure it's perfect.  

#13 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36217 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

What’s the point? Are you (the royal you) so embarrassed about how you live that you need to make it seem different to others? I’m of the mind that I keep my space neat, tidy, and clean all the time. Superfluous cleaning is superfluous

I really only care about the toilet part.  my kids (b/c they are smaller) often land shits in the toilet above the water line so there are often shit stains that need to be cleaned at any given time.  I'll also wipe down the sink b/c again, kids are dirty.  they come in with filthy hands and get muddy water on the sink so it often needs to be cleaned.

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27967 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

Surgical, no.  Clean yes.  I think it goes like this:  On a standard day it might be fine for those shoes to be right there and for those coffee grounds to still be in the sink or for that towel to still be in the bathroom, etc.  When guests come by then I think it makes sense to just look at your house with a new set of eyes and try to see what's not really good to leave that way.  ...

Pretty much this.

#15 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24836 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

Depends on who's showing up.  If it's someone I need to impress, and those are getting fewer in number the older I get, it will be pretty much in order.  Surgical level clean?  Probably not.  Otherwise, I keep it clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be functional and happy.

#16 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

How else do you ensure there’s no evidence left over?

#17 MyNameIsLuka

MyNameIsLuka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22184 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:39 AM

My wife is a stay at home mom plus the kids do their chores...the house stays clean. We may have to load a few dishes in the dishwasher or fold up a blanket on the couch, but that's about it.

#18 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35182 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:39 AM

My surgical standards are pretty depraved

#19 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22862 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

Well, I must admit, my living conditions are different being single, there is less people to mess up. My house stays clean for the most part and there is always some type of scent going on. I love aroma therapy. The kitchen might have a dish or two in the sink but clean and straight. However, clean or not, everyone knows you call ahead before dropping by. I really hate when people just drop by unannounced. Yes, I am a weird old hippy guy. 

#20 Don Foolio

Don Foolio

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27526 posts
  • LocationStraight from the bowels of hell!!!

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:52 AM

“Field day, and squared away” everytime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users