#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

I'm working on a batch that I'll be amping up with 3# of DME and I'm curious to know if I should be adding additional water to my boil volume? I'm siding on no, because that would dilute my desired gravity?

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

I'm working on a batch that I'll be amping up with 3# of DME and I'm curious to know if I should be adding additional water to my boil volume? I'm siding on no, because that would dilute my desired gravity?

I believe you're correct. I wouldn't add water unless you were planning on changing the volume. The DME is a solid that will dissolve, so the volume should not change. 

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, probably would not add more water but to be honest I'm not uber-specific on water volumes.  Yes, I measure out 5 gallons for mash, around 3 for sparge but I could be off by a quart or something and not care.  I think I would just let it roll.  So you're feeling the pinch from the Weyermann fire already and using DME now?  :lol:  

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, probably would not add more water but to be honest I'm not uber-specific on water volumes.  Yes, I measure out 5 gallons for mash, around 3 for sparge but I could be off by a quart or something and not care. 

:frantic:

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:56 AM

:lol:  You'll get over it.  

I remember someone commenting on the "malt conditioning" process where you spritz the grain with 2 ounces of water (or whatever) prior to milling and they asked "should we adjust our water volume based on that?".  Ha, no.  

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, probably would not add more water but to be honest I'm not uber-specific on water volumes.  Yes, I measure out 5 gallons for mash, around 3 for sparge but I could be off by a quart or something and not care.  I think I would just let it roll.  So you're feeling the pinch from the Weyermann fire already and using DME now?  :lol:

You know that's sorta what I do. My very typical grain bill is between 10 and 12 pounds and it seems I'm always calculating ~ 5.5 mash and 3-3.25 sparge which always seems to hit the sweet spot.

The DME will be absorbed into the water to hit my target gravity I suppose. Just wasn't sure.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

:lol:  You'll get over it.  

I remember someone commenting on the "malt conditioning" process where you spritz the grain with 2 ounces of water (or whatever) prior to milling and they asked "should we adjust our water volume based on that?".  Ha, no.  

Think that was me.  Hell I have a water meter that I use to measure the amount of water I am using!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:10 PM

Think that was me.  Hell I have a water meter that I use to measure the amount of water I am using!

Yeah, I just filter 5 gallons based on the marks on the bucket (then pour that into my kettle) and then filter another 3 gallons and I'm done.  If the batch has a bit more grain or has more hops, I might filter more but I'm strictly a "ballpark" kind of brewer when it comes to water.  When I measure my grains I'm pretty precise with a digital scale and same for hops.  When I need 8½ pounds of pilsner malt my scale read 8 LBS 8 OUNCES.  When I need an ounce of Hallertau the scale reads 1.00 ounces... not .99 or 1.01.  So I'm careful with some things.  :P

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:58 PM

I'm strictly a "ballpark" kind of brewer when it comes to water. 

This from the guy who has started threads titled "One last water question."

Come'on! :P

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

This from the guy who has started threads titled "One last water question."

Come'on! :P

Okay, I'm a ballpark guy when it comes to amounts of water.  :lol:

#11 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:55 PM

Adding DME should cause your volume to increase.  I'm not a chemist, but logic tells me unless you are adding something that makes molecules in your solution go from this size O to this size o, volume increases by additions.  Regardless of volume, adding dried malt extract will increase specific gravity on the order of 36 to 40 points per lb per gallon.  1 lb of DME will increase SG by about 6-7 points in a 5 gal wort.

Edited by BarefootBrews, 23 August 2018 - 11:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users