5 replies to this topic

#1 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

What's the prevailing wisdom on dry hopping these days? How much, how long?

I used 10 oz of mosaic leaf (Hops Direct sale) in my NE IPA, been in there a couple of weeks. These were an older crop, and not super strong smelling.

In the past, I've left it until the keg blew, but haven't used this much before, and usually pellets.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

I don't think there is prevailing wisdom. I do it cold, in the keg, until it kicks. 10oz sounds like quite a bit. Well done :)

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

This is M.O. for all beers I brew, ale and lager both:

After the primary is done, the primary fermenter (Ale Pail) goes into the lager fridge for a 10-14 day nap, then kegged.  Ales go on tap once room opens up; lagers get 2-4+ more weeks in the cold.

Same as morty said above, I dry-hop in the keg, cold, and the hops stay in the keg until the keg kicks. 

I use a sanitized nylon grain bag (fine mesh) for dry-hopping, and on kegging day, (if the beer in question is to be dry-hopped), the bagged dry-hops go into the keg first, then Biofine, then the beer is racked onto.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:21 AM

oh yeah - I do tend to rack the beer onto the hops.  sometimes I'll add the hops later but I think I might stop doing that to avoid O2 pickup.

#5 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:14 AM

Cool, I'll leave 'em in.

I did rack onto the hops, not because I was up on the low O2 concerns, but because it was a big frigging bundle of hops & I was worried about overflow pushing it into a full keg. Left it at room temperature for a week, then into the fridge.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

Cool, I'll leave 'em in.

I did rack onto the hops, not because I was up on the low O2 concerns, but because it was a big frigging bundle of hops & I was worried about overflow pushing it into a full keg. Left it at room temperature for a week, then into the fridge.

in general I avoid O2 as much as possible post fermentation.  my beers tend to be around for a while so oxidation can happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users