50 replies to this topic

#1 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20991 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

I was considering getting the chase sapphire signature visa, but in talking with the wife we don’t have any big travel plans for the next bit.

I think we’re going with the two-pronged approach. She’ll get the amazon card for 5% cash back and a $70 sign on bonus, and I’ll go with the Amex blue cash preferred for 6% back at grocery stores and a $200 sign on bonus.

They will both be good cards to hang onto for a while as well, when I finally jump back into the travel-card point-whoring.

#2 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14848 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

Delta Amex. Living 50 miles from Delta's hub, we get all kinds of point for travel.

Right now, we have two round trip tickets to LAX. Total cost was 25.00. We have enough points to both make that trip 3X.

Next year, I may spring for the Centurion Amex, I travel enough.

#3 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20991 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

Yeah, the delta Amex is one I have just to keep around for the benefits. Usually worth the $95 fee just in baggage.

#4 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20991 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:18 PM

Also, pretty sure you mean the platinum. Centurion is invite only, you need to spend $250k per year through the card, and it has a $7500 initiation fee/$2500 annual fee.

Platinum is nice though. Lounges beat the hell out of airport bars.

#5 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14848 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:26 PM

Also, pretty sure you mean the platinum. Centurion is invite only, you need to spend $250k per year through the card, and it has a $7500 initiation fee/$2500 annual fee.

Platinum is nice though. Lounges beat the hell out of airport bars.

Umm, sure. That's what I meant.

>adjusts monocle<

#6 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20991 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Lol, sure man, good for you. Here’s hoping you’ll get your invite next year, so you can decide to spring for it.

Still doesn’t seem worth it for what you get, compared to the platinum card.

#7 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14848 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

Lol, sure man, good for you. Here’s hoping you’ll get your invite next year, so you can decide to spring for it.

Still doesn’t seem worth it for what you get, compared to the platinum card.

Just joking about.

You're right the Silver card. The companion flight might cover the yearly fee.

#8 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10531 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

Have the Delta platinum and reserve. Fly out of MSP and use Delta 90% of the time. The companion fares on these both get used for the wife and leisure travel. Also have a Hilton card and a Marriott card, those get used just for hotel stays. Just got the Amex Platinum card, going to put bulk of spend on that and see what I can do with the membership reward points. You’re right about the perks of the card, if you use them, totally worth it.

#9 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20991 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:42 AM

I’m an authorized user on my bro’s account, which is worth it to me to not have to shell out the actual money for it. Access to lounges and free global entry. He keeps all the other stuff, which is fine.

Not a big fan of the Hilton card since they changed to Amex. Free night stay spend went up $5k.

#10 MyNameIsLuka

MyNameIsLuka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22111 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:07 AM

We are diamond level with the Hilton amex. We get about 2 free weeks per year. We make all of our purchases on the card and pay it off each month.

#11 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10531 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:14 AM

Yeah, Hilton card is ok, not great. I dont use it for anything other than stays. I got a nice signup bonus (100k points) and i stay in a lot of Hampton Inns. Ive used over 200k points in the last 18 months for my wife and I, and still have 500k available. Their points are low value (compared to most other hotel chains) but the card earns 12x, add in the bonus points for being diamond, and a few offers from them, and i can easily earn 4-6000 points a night. My typical reward redemptions are 20-30k per night, so its basically stay 4-5 nights and get a free one for the future.

#12 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10531 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:50 AM

We are diamond level with the Hilton amex. We get about 2 free weeks per year. We make all of our purchases on the card and pay it off each month.

We do that with our Delta card. It nets us enough mqm’s to go up a level every year. I got the Amex platinum to use once we max out the Delta bonus.

#13 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20991 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:06 AM

I’m diamond level anyway, and the $5k yearly spend increase for the free night was enough for us to not take advantage of it. I’ll keep the card, but downgraded to the one without yearly fees.

#14 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20991 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:08 AM

Yeah, Hilton card is ok, not great. I dont use it for anything other than stays. I got a nice signup bonus (100k points) and i stay in a lot of Hampton Inns. Ive used over 200k points in the last 18 months for my wife and I, and still have 500k available. Their points are low value (compared to most other hotel chains) but the card earns 12x, add in the bonus points for being diamond, and a few offers from them, and i can easily earn 4-6000 points a night. My typical reward redemptions are 20-30k per night, so its basically stay 4-5 nights and get a free one for the future.

Yeah, I use my work card for that travel, but end up staying at Hilton properties due to the prevalence of Hampton Inn’s, even in BFE. I’m thinking about switching to Marriott, though not a fan that you can’t use their points for a full stay at their all-Inclusive properties.

#15 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17374 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

I could have planned better. I put $17k in lawyer's fees on my REI credit card this year. I've been nervous regarding credit though, and didn't want to be closing or opening up any new accounts. 

#16 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6471 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:23 AM

Groceries (6%)/gas (3%) on Amex Blue.

Amazon (5%) Visa

Restaurants (4%)/travel (3%) on Uber Visa

Everything else (2%) on Fidelity Visa

I don't travel enough to make a true travel card worthwhile. And I could do better on gas, but I don't want to carry any more cards.

#17 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

I use that chase sapphire signature, have a crap ton of points between that, our chase freedom, and chase ink.

I probably don't work the cards as well as I do, and we don't travel a ton, but it's the when we want it.

#18 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9330 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

AMEX Blue Cash and Amazon VISA for Amazon and whatever doesn't do AMEX.

I prefer the straightforward cash back rewards vs point rewards that have redemption rules. 

#19 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2924 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:28 AM

I mostly use Chase Saphire Reserve. 3x points on travel, 100k sign up bonus, free Priority Pass for you and a guest, global entry reimbursement, and lots of car rental insurance/travel reimbursement protection. There travel program is pretty good. I was looking at round trip non stop flights to Amsterdam for 40k in the fall.

#20 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36540 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:53 AM

I have an American Airlines card.  I have no idea if it's a good deal or not, but it was 100,000 bonus miles when I signed up and I've earned a few hundred thousand in rewards miles over the years.  I fly almost exclusively United for work so having miles on American/United gives me options when booking award travel.  I've considered going to the United card (Explorer, I think they call it).  They usually have a 50K-70K mileage bonus depending on time of year.  I just haven't come across a compelling enough reason to switch yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users