7 replies to this topic

#1 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7059 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

Good riddance to bad trash, I say. How that POS made it 30 fecking years is beyond me. Oh, wait. I think I know why.

Get a load of the ove the top specs the military wants for it’s replacement.

The NGSAR of the future has very strict requirements: it must weigh no more than twelve pounds, be no longer than thirty-five inches long, and be able to fire 600 rounds per minute for fifteen minutes without needing a barrel change.

addition, the weapon needs to be relatively accurate: the PON demands that a soldier “firing standing with optic at a 50-meter E-Type silhouette given 3 to 5 round burst must be able to engage in 2-4 seconds placing two rounds 70 percent of the time on target.”

https://popularmilit...ource=11 Bravos

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53373 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

I never liked the SAW, it jammed to often, I preferred the 60.

#3 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7059 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

Spent just as much time cycling out than actually shooting it seemed like.

The accuracy spec for the new weapon is a bit low reaching imo. I understand that the dumbest motherfecker in the Army has to be able to use it semi-proficiently, but damn. A 35 inch shoulder fired weapon should be more accurate than two out of three 70% of the time.especially with optics not iron.

Edited by Car ChuckRam, 12 July 2018 - 03:44 PM.

#4 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

Preferred machinegun in COD Modern Warfare 2  

#5 Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas

Comptroller of Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
  • Locationnear Austin, Texas

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

M240 4EVER!

My first time on a range as a gunner in the M1A1, the sights were overheated and blurry. I just kept firing at the troop targets. A continuous burst of 196 rounds. No jam. That is one damned fine machinegun.

#6 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7059 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:17 PM

M240 4EVER!

My first time on a range as a gunner in the M1A1, the sights were overheated and blurry. I just kept firing at the troop targets. A continuous burst of 196 rounds. No jam. That is one damned fine machinegun.

You’re a Tanker. That explains so much.

Just kidding. Mad respect for guys who work one of the original mobile stand off weapons.

Many years ago, I pulled repair assist duty on a tracked vehicle. Not a pleasant experience.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31808 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

15 minutes of continuous fire is pretty big order. Not something I'd want to try without a cooling system. One of the gun channels on youtube does dustructive tests with a bunch of different guns like AR's and such till the heat and ammo causes the gun to fail permanently.

If I were to design a barrel for that situation I might make it 2 piece with an aluminum sleeve to reduce weight and act as a heat sink so the barrel stays relatively cooler longer. 

Accuracy... I've never shot a machine gun but I know they rise and can be tough to keep on target. 2/5 seems like a decent number to shoot for in a half second burst in a stressful situation. 

#8 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7059 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:48 PM

That’s 2 rounds, 70% of the time. Which upon thinking about it a little more is kind of fecking terrible for the range environment they spec it out at.

What will that reduce to in a battlefield environment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users