23 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27201 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:20 PM

I think this started when we had a couple of hibiscus trees that we would have outside in the summer and then indoors in the winter.  I started seeing some small, black flying bugs and my guess is that they came in with the hibiscus.  They're very small and they don't really bother us or bite us but it's gotten worse.  They fly around your computer screen, you see them by the windows, etc.  My wife has a few indoor plants and my guess is that these things nest in the plants and dirt (we don't have the hibiscus anymore).  I bought some Bayer stuff that is supposed to kill bugs and not harm the plants.  I hit all the plants in the house last week.  This week I did it again and I literally saw bugs flying out of the plants.  But I'm not sure I have the right stuff.  Are there still "bug bombs" you can buy where you gas the whole house and leave for the weekend?  

#2 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14896 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

I'd rather have a snake in the pool. :P

#3 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2993 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

Sounds like fungus gnats. They’re in the soil.

We dried the plants out for a couple weeks. They need the moisture to survive. Another option is re-potting all of your plants.

You could maybe try DE. But we didn’t have a ton of success.

#4 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38071 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:26 PM

It might be much easier if this is what you have, just soap.

http://www.hiddenval.../care/gnats.htm

#5 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3196 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

Could you take the plants outside and use the stuff you have? That way the ones that flee won't be inside. I've also found that the best way to catch bugs flying around the house is with my shop vac. The dustbuster didn't have enough guts, but the big thing did. We have one glass sliding door that seems to be the place for them to congregate.

#6 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27201 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

These things are very tiny.  I did suggest that we take all of the plants outside and spray them but I want to make sure I don't bring anything ELSE into the house.  I know they're not fleas because no one is complaining of red dots, itching, etc.  One of the plants where I saw the bugs flying out it... I took that one outside and hit it again with the juice.  I see some bug bombs on Amazon with marginal reviews.  

#7 King of da Moon

King of da Moon

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25507 posts
  • LocationStraight from the bowels of hell!!!

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

You’re not fermenting Beer in the house are you? Check your air locks :P

#8 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27201 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

You’re not fermenting Beer in the house are you? Check your air locks :P

People have mentioned having little black gnats (or whatever they are) flying around their taps and their fermenters.  I generally DO NOT seem them there.  They're mostly by the plants and hanging around windows but believe me I thought "beer" might be a factor.  :covreyes:

#9 King of da Moon

King of da Moon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25507 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:56 PM

They are attracted to the co2 that comes off the fermentation locks, and the beer taps... that’s why they’ll buzz around you too

#10 MyNameIsLuka

MyNameIsLuka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

Sounds like fungus gnats. They’re in the soil.

We dried the plants out for a couple weeks. They need the moisture to survive. Another option is re-potting all of your plants.

You could maybe try DE. But we didn’t have a ton of success.

Yep. Let the soil dry out to 4 inches deep between waterings if you can. That will help tremendously if it is fungus gnats. Usually, if it is fungus gnats, you can tap the soil a few times and see some fly out.

#11 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27201 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

I just looked at some images of fungus gnats (don't I know how to paint the town red!) and these don't really look like what I have but of course the pics on GIS were magnified so I can't tell.  My wife is the one who waters these plants so I could ask her to cool it for a bit to see what happens.  Otherwise I'm taking all the houseplants outside when it's -10° here!  Scorched Earth bitches!!  :lol:

#12 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8099 posts
  • Location38.362783, -85.311367 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:53 PM

I’d take the plants to a shady place outside, hose them down with Bifenthrin, and bring back inside a day or two later.

#13 King of da Moon

King of da Moon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25507 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

Do they hang out in the kitchen too? Any fruits or veg that don’t go in the fridge ?

#14 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3071 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

Permethrin

#15 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64247 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:16 AM

Drain flies?

#16 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8319 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:19 AM

Do they hang out in the kitchen too? Any fruits or veg that don’t go in the fridge ?

We have this every now and then

#17 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50671 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:32 AM

this is why we don't have live plants in the house.  with all the rain we've had this spring we ended up with some small bouts with ants, a little Home Defense and we were goo tho

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31409 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:33 AM

Get some systemic. It will get rid of them

#19 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27201 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:22 AM

These bugs seem to go wherever they want and don't necessarily seem to hang around certain things except for windows and my screen at night.  If I start cooking I might see them flying around my prep area and if I leave a glass of water for awhile I might find one in there.  We have bananas hanging on a little hook type thing in the kitchen but I don't necessarily see them there.  I guess I was hoping I could use a bomb to kill them ALL assuming that if I just sprayed each plant that some may survive and continue to multiply.  We have at least 10-12 potted plants in the house.  I suppose we're used to this but sometimes people are over and eventually they're swatting and saying, "what is with these bugs?".  <_<

#20 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27201 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

I read something that said that they're attracted to a glass of water, soda, juice, beer, etc. and one site actually said to leave a small amount of beer in a glass and see if you attract any.  I left some beer out for about 4 hours today and not one of these things ended up in there which is surprising.  I also read that the adults live about 1 week so maybe the spray I used will take out the eggs or larvae or whatever in the soil and after a week maybe I'll see less of these things flying around.  Thanks gang.  

EDIT:  I just went back to check the glass of beer and sure enough Vagus is here.  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users