Photo
- - - - -

When brewday becomes an exercise in plate-spinning..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:09 PM

Snuck in a workday brewday, and most of the morning felt like I was a damned plate-spinner.

Got started later than normal (wife left late, and I brew in the garage, so I have to wait for her to leave so I could set up shop).

Mashed in, and then the work calls and emails started coming in.  And didn't stop.  I start thinking maybe I should've waited until tomorrow to brew.

Ended up letting the mash rest 30 minutes longer than I expected thanks to work crap, but since I was brewing an IPA, some extra time to dry it out will probably end up being a good thing.

The work chaos started dying down, sparge water finally got to temp, and I was able to get back on track.  Got done with brewday about 30 minutes later than normal; NBD. 

On the plus side, the weather cooperated by not being super-hot, and the late additions of homegrown Cascade smelled awfully nice.

Will know in about a month how successful today was.

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:16 PM

Good to hear!

I've gotten my brew day down to about 4 hours, but This last Saturday was MUCH longer since I did a parti-gyle. Ended up being a huge pain in the ass, but it will be nice to have something high gravity and something low on tap!

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

Good to hear!

I've gotten my brew day down to about 4 hours, but This last Saturday was MUCH longer since I did a parti-gyle. Ended up being a huge pain in the ass, but it will be nice to have something high gravity and something low on tap!

My goal with workday brewdays is to get everything done, cleaned up, and put away before 3pm, when my wife gets home from work.

My brewdays are normally in the 6-hour range, since I do 90-min mashes and boils. 

On pretty much any other day, I could get set up and mashed in before 8:30am, which normally has the wort boiled, chilled, into the primary, yeast pitched, and me finishing cleanup before 2:30pm.

Today, however, was a bit of a divergence from the norm.  Oh well.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:50 PM

Been there, done that. Stupid work. :lol:

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

Been there, done that. Stupid work. :lol:

:D

office-space-work-sucks-t-shirt-27.jpg

#6 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

Yep,  works gets in the way of a lot of brew days for me.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users