50 replies to this topic

#1 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:50 AM

An unexpected turn of events has me looking for a used truck. Ram trucks seem to be a bit lower priced than Ford or Chevy. I've looked at a 2012 SLT with the 5.7L HEMI engine. A quick look suggests the motors are solid. Anything else in particular to be concerned about with these trucks?

#2 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6250 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Not sure about that model year in particular, but in general their transmissions are inferior to Ford and Chevy. 

#3 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8900 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:16 AM

Buy anything but Dodge

#4 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53373 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

the mopar 5 and 8spd trans have been very solid.  imho, the 5.7 hemi and trans is the best drivetrain in half-ton truckdom.  first thing you do is get an ECU reflash to disable MDS, serious, feck the 1mpg savings

#5 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:52 AM

the mopar 5 and 8spd trans have been very solid.  imho, the 5.7 hemi and trans is the best drivetrain in half-ton truckdom.  first thing you do is get an ECU reflash to disable MDS, serious, feck the 1mpg savings

It's a 6 speed.

#6 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53373 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

It's a 6 speed.

that's fine, mopar hasn't really had trans problems since about 2004 or so....

#7 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

We had three 2012/13 half ton rams 2 Hemi 1 3.6l v6 in the fleet with my ex partner and no problems, they’re all over 125k and just normal maintenance.

#8 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17013 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

I had a very odd experience recently when I was in Denver buying used.  I'll preface by saying that I've not bought a used vehicle from a dealer in about 18 years.  It seems the internet has really reduced the bargaining power a buyer has.  They are now pretty much all offering pretty much their best price out of the gate.  I guess it makes sense, but I went to 4 different dealerships to build my hand for the bargaining table.  They all wouldn't come down much, even when I got up and walked out on each one.  The most I got any of them to move was $1,200 on a $30k truck.  

It actually was a more pleasant buying experience that way, it was just very unexpected.  

Edited by AspenLeif, 10 July 2018 - 03:49 PM.

#9 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

I had a very odd experience recently when I was in Denver buying used.  I'll preface by saying that I've not bought a used vehicle from a dealer in about 18 years.  It seems the internet has really reduced the bargaining power a buyer has.  They are now pretty much all offering pretty much their best price out of the gate.  I guess it makes sense, but I went to 4 different dealerships to build my hand for the bargaining table.  They all wouldn't come down much, even when I got up and walked out on each one.  The most I got any of them to move was $1,200 on a $30k truck.  

It actually was a more pleasant buying experience that way, it was just very unexpected.  

I'm thinking of making the drive over there to look. We certainly pay a western slope premium on cars both new and used. I hate the idea of going over there and not finding something, though. 

I also drove an avalanche today. They are ugly as can be, but appear to be pretty competent vehicles.

#10 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7059 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

Good luck. I live in the Wilammete Valley, truck prices are stupid. All I need is a beater with a heater for landscaping material, and occasional utility trailer towing.

No, feckwad, I will not pay $4700 “firm” for your 1993 F-150 with “only” 246,000 miles, ( 90K on the rebuild) a slightly balky 3rd gear, a caved in siderail, and broken passenger side window motor. I don’t care that it leaks less than a quart of coolant a month. That’s not a selling point, dumbass.

#11 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39959 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:08 AM

I have had 2 Dodge trucks and both have never had a problem currently own a 2016 5.7 hemi with the big horn package. We tow a boat and a camper. Our Challenger has also been solid.

#12 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14201 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

Buy anything but Dodge

Why? My 98 gave a life of carefree hardcore usage. 

#13 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53373 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:42 AM

the biggest gripe with Ram trucks these days is, imho, rust and the overall 'cheapness' of the interior.  the latest gen is much nicer on the interior but its still to early to tell on the rust factor.  my brothers 04 had horrendous rust issues, he spent a touch of $5k in rust mitigation while he owned it (he traded in late '16).  I bought my 05 almost exactly one year later, I'm still driving it and I'm just now starting to see a little surface rust.  he also had a bunch of small interior problems, like dash lights, knobs, handles and etc that either came loose or broke.  the drive train was rock fecking solid though.  motor and trans was perfect tho, the hemi has a little valve tick but its hardly noticeable compared to that god awful noisy 5.4L 3v ford I have, that fecking thing sounds like a gatdamn diesel when its at idle.

#14 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8900 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

Why? My 98 gave a life of carefree hardcore usage.

Because I hate Dodge trucks. Therefore they are all junk. You know, standard public house reasoning.

#15 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39959 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

They create wind.

#16 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8900 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:53 AM

They create wind.

Fecking wind

#17 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6565 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

I'm leaning towards that avalanche. It's a 2009 with 60k and the dealer is very motivated to sell. Probably because it's so ugly. But I don't mind ugly.

I can get that thing for ~$10k less than I can for a F150 or Silverado of similar age/mileage.

#18 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39959 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:38 AM

That has to be one of the fugliest trucks ever built. It was kinda cool it came straight from the factory with a tent option.

#19 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53373 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

That has to be one of the fugliest trucks ever built. It was kinda cool it came straight from the factory with a tent option.

second ugliest behind both incarnations of ridgeline

#20 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14201 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

the biggest gripe with Ram trucks these days is, imho, rust and the overall 'cheapness' of the interior.  the latest gen is much nicer on the interior but its still to early to tell on the rust factor.  my brothers 04 had horrendous rust issues, he spent a touch of $5k in rust mitigation while he owned it (he traded in late '16).  I bought my 05 almost exactly one year later, I'm still driving it and I'm just now starting to see a little surface rust.  he also had a bunch of small interior problems, like dash lights, knobs, handles and etc that either came loose or broke.  the drive train was rock fecking solid though.  motor and trans was perfect tho, the hemi has a little valve tick but its hardly noticeable compared to that god awful noisy 5.4L 3v ford I have, that fecking thing sounds like a gatdamn diesel when its at idle.

Sounds like Chevy as well. 

Fwiw, I think the biggest issue with newer Ram trucks is the quality of electronics. Im not sure if FCA has gotten to the quality of other manufacturers as of yet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users