17 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:22 PM

I have some 2278 in the fridge and I also received 5 ounces of fresh Saaz hops from YCH today.  Can you give me a pale Czech lager recipe that might be a good representation of the style?  I would say "Pilsner Urquell" but any good pale Czech lager would suffice.  I have Swaen Pilsner malt, Vienna, Munich, a bunch of some great stuff called Swaen Gold Hell and I'm looking for that dark gold color.  Also, tell me what you would do with the hops.  I have Magnum I could use to bitter but what would you do with the Saaz?  I'm thinking 5% ish and somewhere in the 30-35 IBU range.   Cheers and thanks.

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

Here was my favorite from my 1 good bag of floor malt. Might bump up the vienna a bit to acct for using regular pils over floor malt.

https://www.brewtoad...le-lezak-a2bf64

I wouldn't hesitate to add .75lb of the gold hell (that's 10L crystal) in place of my carared.

Edited by Steve Urquell, 18 June 2018 - 05:58 PM.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

Mmm, that looks nice.  I may have to adjust for my 30m boils but I like how all of it looks including the 20m WP.  Thanks my friend.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:08 AM

This could be a fantastic idea for Bayern #4. But 41 IBU? How bitter did that get you in such a low OG beer?

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:13 AM

This could be a fantastic idea for Bayern #4. But 41 IBU? How bitter did that get you in such a low OG beer?

IIRC, Czech beers might employ more hops because the hops don't come across as strong as they normally would because of the soft water.  These Saaz hops I have are only 2.6% although that doesn't matter as much since I'm adding them late.  I was thinking that I should use all 5 ounces and Chils' recipe agrees.  I may not get to 40 IBUs but the beer should be somewhat punchy in the hop department.  This may not happen for awhile but I'm looking forward to it.    

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:15 AM

That's about right. I remember my only lager was a Bohemian Pils with about 45 ibus. Did pretty well in Competition as well.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:44 AM

IIRC, Czech beers might employ more hops because the hops don't come across as strong as they normally would because of the soft water.  These Saaz hops I have are only 2.6% although that doesn't matter as much since I'm adding them late.  I was thinking that I should use all 5 ounces and Chils' recipe agrees.  I may not get to 40 IBUs but the beer should be somewhat punchy in the hop department.  This may not happen for awhile but I'm looking forward to it.

Going for it. Likely in the next couple weeks. I have a new bag of Saaz and plenty of Weyermann Cologne Pils. Gonna add a little Vienna and CaraHell. Magnum up front Saaz in the back.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

I made some adjustments based on the 30m boil but this should be very much in the spirit of Chils' recipe.  The CaraHell is actually going to be Swaen Gold Hell and I think the color will be a bit darker than the 4 SRM shown.  The pilsner is also Swaen and the Vienna is Weyermann.  The yeast would be 2278 Czech Lager.  Feel free to poke holes in it where necessary.  

2vjxzbq.png

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:22 AM

Do you guys think using all Sterling (Super Saaz) for bitter and finish would be too: one dimensional?

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:26 AM

Do you guys think using all Sterling (Super Saaz) for bitter and finish would be too: one dimensional?

I feel like Czech beers like this use Saaz for everything although I don't know that for sure.  I think you could do it but if you have a new bag of Saaz why not use Sterling early and Saaz late?  For me, I rarely have Saaz in the house.  I'm not sure why... maybe I got some bad ones and then stayed away from them for awhile.  But the truth is that fresh Saaz is something I really like so that's why I wanted to load my recipe up with late Saaz.  I could see Sterling-Saaz and I could see all Sterling in a pinch.  

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:34 AM

[hmmm... thinks... likes the idea of Sterling and Saaz..]

This is why I love the craft so much. There's eleventy possibilities for any design.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

[hmmm... thinks... likes the idea of Sterling and Saaz..]

This is why I love the craft so much. There's eleventy possibilities for any design.

I agree.  I like the flexibility and if you come up with something and it backfires... okay, just try something else next time.  

#13 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:03 AM

Ken I forgot to add that is a 7gal batch. I'd still use those amts of hops tho

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

Ken I forgot to add that is a 7gal batch. I'd still use those amts of hops tho

Yeah, I remembered because using your grist for my smaller 5.25 batch size would have given me a stronger beer.  I lowered the amount of malt and adjusted the hops accordingly and the 30m boil played right into my hand so this could work well.  Thanks again for posting... looking forward to making it.  

#15 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:57 AM

Ken, another grist I'm loving for these beers is 53% Castle Pale Ale, 40% pils then the remaining 10L german crystal(caralight, hell, etc). I think I like it better than the Vienna blend above as the pale ale flavor more closely resembles the good floor malt I got.

Looks like this after clearing.

J8XgqYb.png

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:59 AM

I do not use those exact malts but I really enjoy a blend of 50/50 two row and pils for the base of a lot of beers.  I think it brings a lot to the beer.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:11 AM

Well, I have a sack of Rahr Pale Ale that I'm working through.  Should I split the base malt 50/50 between pale ale and pils?  I've done that for some lagers in the past with good results.  

#18 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:48 AM

Well, I have a sack of Rahr Pale Ale that I'm working through. Should I split the base malt 50/50 between pale ale and pils? I've done that for some lagers in the past with good results.

I like the maltiness of that blend over a majority of pils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users