Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

Fellas,

For those of you who use it, how to you employ Carahell? I've seen some recent recipes that add it to Helles and Pils. I'm curious to know what it brings to the party, if it adds anything special etc.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

I'd say _maybe_ helles in very small amounts, never pils.  I use it mainly for maibock.  Adds a bit of sweetness, body, and color.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

I use it quite a bit and 4 ounces in 5 gallons is common for me.  It's supposed to bring a little color and maltiness to the beer.  It's also supposed to improve body, head formation and aroma.  If you envision a beer with mostly pilsner being very pale, the carahell will bring some color and depth to it.  I started using something called Swaen Gold Hell and I got some pretty good color out of it.  I believe that these products equate closely to a crystal/caramel 10°L.  

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

Yes, around 10L as I've read. I'd like to try it in a mostly pilsner beer for that shot of color and mild sweetness. Keep it at a small amount however...

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:27 AM

The helles I made on Friday had 4 ounces of the Swaen Gold Hell in the recipe which translates to 2.6% of the grist.  Often you'll see a pilsner that is very bright and pale color-wise and you may see a helles this is a bit darker gold and that may come from Carahell or maybe a combination of munich or vienna and carahell, etc.  Carafoam or Carapils are supposed to do something similar but with less color involved.  

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

I'm thinking about maybe that 4 ounce number along with enough Pils to get me to a desired 1.050 and the nobles to bitter and finish. Just enough of the carahell to give a little color and enhance the pils malt.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

I'm thinking about maybe that 4 ounce number along with enough Pils to get me to a desired 1.050 and the nobles to bitter and finish. Just enough of the carahell to give a little color and enhance the pils malt.

That sounds nice.  Bayern, I assume?  ;)

If you normally make a beer like that but don't use CaraHell, you should have a decent feel for what it contributes.  Brewers I know who like their German styles seem to consider CaraHell a staple in the brewery.  Cheers.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:08 AM

Yes, 4th use of the Bayern. I made an extremely light lager with it and it was so light I began thinking of a small amount of crystal, hence the thought of carahell. Keep it in the Weyermann family as well.

#9 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:35 AM

I use it in all my helles and weissbiers.  Usually in the 4-8% range.   (less in the helles, more in the weiss)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users