17 replies to this topic

#1 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

It's been over a decade since I brewed. But been thinking about it for a while, and I can get away with it as it's Father's Day. Went to the homebrew store & got the grains/hops/yeast, so it's happening.

Running around trying to find all the odds & ends, or at least the ones I remember that I need. Cleaning off 10 years of dust. What should be replaced vs. what can be cleaned & sanitized effectively.

Plan started as this:

New England IPA, 5 gallon

13# Golden Promise

2# flaked oats

S04 & Windsor dry yeast

1 oz. each El Dorado/Citra/Mosaic Whirlpool

I made a hop back right before I stopped brewing & never used it. Going to see if that works, so 1 oz each in that.

I'm going to try the fermentation hops - around day 2 or 3 of primary right? Again, 1 oz. of each.

Then dry hop in the kegs. Undecided - so expensive at the lhbs, so think I might try for one of those deals posted lately for that. 4 - 6 oz. in each though.

So I used to primary in a 6.5 gallon carboy - had a wide mouth, so relatively easy to dry hop in it. Always did a 7 to 10 day primary, then straight to keg. But I can't find it. wtf.

Ok, so I'm cleaning out two 5 gallon carboys - I don't want to settle for a 4 gal batch (giving room for fermentation) so I'm going to split the batch - so now I'm making 8 gallons. Gotta pump up the fermentables...still have some stuff in sealed bags - 2# of flaked corn; still not as high as planned, but closer. Should still be good right? Only been 10 - 12 years ago that I bought it.

Hey, since I'm splitting it, why not make 2 different beers?  I found some carafa III & some dark Belgian candi syrup - could steep & add to fermenter for a Black NEIPA. Also found some alpha amyalse - maybe add to fermenter for a Brut beer?

I told myself to keep it simple, but here I go lol. :facepalm: Wish me luck...have a feeling everything that can go wrong will go wrong!

Edited by Buscotucky, 16 June 2018 - 04:23 PM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

I would do the fermentation hops between 36-48 after pitching. If you can, ferment around 67. The hopping looks a bit low to me. I think 6 oz in the wp would be better seeing you have no boil hops.

Oh, that hop blend is a good choice!

Good luck!

#3 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

I would do the fermentation hops between 36-48 after pitching. If you can, ferment around 67. The hopping looks a bit low to me. I think 6 oz in the wp would be better seeing you have no boil hops.

Oh, that hop blend is a good choice!

Good luck!

Thanks - I'm really wanting the hop punch. I could move the hop back hops to the whirlpool; I'm thinking maybe trying new gear for the first time is probably a bad idea anyway.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:42 PM

I went 20 without brewing.  It was so much fun to get back.  You'll love the smell.  Enjoy!

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

Thanks - I'm really wanting the hop punch. I could move the hop back hops to the whirlpool; I'm thinking maybe trying new gear for the first time is probably a bad idea anyway.

Leave the hop back for the next batch :)

#6 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

Hmm, I forgot how long it takes the water to get to strike temp. Guess I should have started that sooner.

Also, good thing I had the lhbs mill the grain - evidently my grain mill got rusty over the years. :(

#7 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Ugggh, super slow sparge...may only end up with one 4 gallon batch at a lower abv than planned. I expected things to go bad, but dayummmm.

Oh well, it'll be beer, right?

#8 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:18 AM

So it's bubbling away this morning...at least I managed to make fermentable wort. :D

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:28 AM

NOICE!  Keep us posted after you sample it.  

#10 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Glad you’re back!

#11 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

Well, crap. Ready to keg, but out of co2. Went to the place I used to get it from & they've closed. Found another place, but the tank is past due for testing - now it's going to be up to a week before I get it back. <_<

Long time to be sitting in primary, but whatcha gonna do.

#12 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:51 PM

Whatcha gonna do??   Fermenter prime, dude!!    And enjoy dat foam natural carbonation produces!  Then you won't need any CO2 until it's time to serve.

#13 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

Whatcha gonna do??   Fermenter prime, dude!!    And enjoy dat foam natural carbonation produces!  Then you won't need any CO2 until it's time to serve.

:goodidea:  Thanks!

Edited by Buscotucky, 27 June 2018 - 05:30 PM.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

So how did it turn out?

#15 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:05 AM

Haven't tried the finished product yet...kegged, added dry hops, and at that time (flat, room temp) did have a nice fruity hop flavor/aroma. More bitter than I expected having only used whirlpool hops. Also very sweet upfront, more than I expected. (OG 1.066, FG 1.015)

Need to drink some beer I've stored in the kegerator so I have room to chill. Probably by the weekend,

#16 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:40 AM

37400840_10215030571951816_5625423154982

Well, not exactly what I hoped for, but drinkable if you really really like hops. Rather one dimensional hop bomb. Expected a much stronger hop aroma though.

#17 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

So smoothing out - not near as harsh, and a strong orange juice flavor/aroma developing. I'm starting to like it a lot more.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

So smoothing out - not near as harsh, and a strong orange juice flavor/aroma developing. I'm starting to like it a lot more.

Hop burn in the style is real. I find that so much hop oil from the wp and dh additions needs a couple weeks to calm down so the real beer can show through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users