Photo
- - - - -

I think I've made my last purchase at my LHBS...

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

Assholes have been jacking up their grain prices to levels that I'm having a hard time stomaching. 

Called them up a couple of days ago, looking for a quote for 2 bags of grain: Rahr 2-row and Weyermann Pils.  Guy who runs the shop (asst. store mgr, who I'd dealt with in the past; ok enough to deal with, but severely lacking in anything approaching decent people skills) answers and I tell him what I'm looking for.

He says for the above grains in 55lb bags, will be ~$63.00 and change, including tax and 10% off (which they give most everyone).

I'm not impressed.  A year ago, Rahr 2-row was closer to ~$40/55lb bag.  I get that Weyermann is more expensive, but a bag of Rahr costing nearly $60/bag is BS.

Fast-forward to today:

I just got off the phone w/ the folks at Label Peelers.  (Based on prior posts from Brother Ken and Brother Chils).

Much nicer folks to deal with, and as mentioned in the "who's brewing" thread, I will get a much better deal having them ship grain directly to my house.

For 2 bags of Swaen Pils (which I've not used before but I know Ken likes a lot),  I will be paying a total of ~$58/bag, shipped.  And they told me if I order early enough in the day, they can usually get the order prepped and shipped within 24 hours (if not the same day), then it's another 2-3 days (max) for FedEx to deliver, right to my garage door.

That, I can live with. 

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

Assholes have been jacking up their grain prices to levels that I'm having a hard time stomaching. 

Called them up a couple of days ago, looking for a quote for 2 bags of grain: Rahr 2-row and Weyermann Pils.  Guy who runs the shop (asst. store mgr, who I'd dealt with in the past; ok enough to deal with, but severely lacking in anything approaching decent people skills) answers and I tell him what I'm looking for.

He says for the above grains in 55lb bags, will be ~$63.00 and change, including tax and 10% off (which they give most everyone).

I'm not impressed.  A year ago, Rahr 2-row was closer to ~$40/55lb bag.  I get that Weyermann is more expensive, but a bag of Rahr costing nearly $60/bag is BS.

Fast-forward to today:

I just got off the phone w/ the folks at Label Peelers.  (Based on prior posts from Brother Ken and Brother Chils).

Much nicer folks to deal with, and as mentioned in the "who's brewing" thread, I will get a much better deal having them ship grain directly to my house.

For 2 bags of Swaen Pils (which I've not used before but I know Ken likes a lot),  I will be paying a total of ~$58/bag, shipped.  And they told me if I order early enough in the day, they can usually get the order prepped and shipped within 24 hours (if not the same day), then it's another 2-3 days (max) for FedEx to deliver, right to my garage door.

That, I can live with. 

Don't get me started.  I have almost the exact same issue except the people at my LHBS are actually really cool and helpful.  I'll pay a bit extra for a foreign, high-end malt like Weyermann but over $60 a sack for Rahr is getting insulting.  The fact that you're in Ohio helps the Label Peelers factor a bit.  I have never spoken with anyone in the shop but their prices are really good and their order processing is fast.  The fact that it's actually less than I can get it for locally... no-brainer.  And that includes the 10% AHA discount they give me and the ride to this supplier is a good 30 minutes away so I'm saving gas too.  

On the topic of the Swaen Pils... I like it.  I have used Barke Pils (probably my favorite) as well as Avangard, Rahr Premium Pils, MaltEurop, Dingeman's and a few others.  The Swaen Pils is very good and you'll have to give me your thoughts on it.  I tried their "pale ale" or maybe just "ale" malt and I didn't think it had as much POP as Rahr Pale Ale so I probably won't buy that again.  

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

I paid 72 at my LHBS for a bag of Avangard Pils.  I like them, they are friends but that is a lot.  I found a HBS in central Mass that does a grain buy once a year and got 4 sacs of grain for just over 200.  That I can deal with.

I plan to open a sack of Swean pils tomorrow for the first time.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:33 PM

The fact that you could get a sack craft malt from Holland (Swaen Pils) for $37 (I think that's what I paid for this last bag) and domestic malt like Rahr is around $65 a sack locally... that really frosts my flakes.  :D

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

LP has Swaen pils for ~$39/55lb bag +$19 to ship.  Hard to turn that down.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

Don't get me started.  I have almost the exact same issue except the people at my LHBS are actually really cool and helpful.  I'll pay a bit extra for a foreign, high-end malt like Weyermann but over $60 a sack for Rahr is getting insulting.  The fact that you're in Ohio helps the Label Peelers factor a bit.  I have never spoken with anyone in the shop but their prices are really good and their order processing is fast.  The fact that it's actually less than I can get it for locally... no-brainer.  And that includes the 10% AHA discount they give me and the ride to this supplier is a good 30 minutes away so I'm saving gas too.  

On the topic of the Swaen Pils... I like it.  I have used Barke Pils (probably my favorite) as well as Avangard, Rahr Premium Pils, MaltEurop, Dingeman's and a few others.  The Swaen Pils is very good and you'll have to give me your thoughts on it.  I tried their "pale ale" or maybe just "ale" malt and I didn't think it had as much POP as Rahr Pale Ale so I probably won't buy that again.  

You.  Me.  Eye to eye.

I get that some grains are spendy, but to jack the prices up, on top of less-than-stellar customer service, is a bit of a slap in the face.

I'd been shopping at my LHBS for the last 17 years, and over that time, I've seen where the homebrew side of the business has gone, and TBH, it's been going downhill.  I think the brewery side of the business has taken too much attention/care/consideration away from the homebrew side, and as a long-time customer, that's a disappointment.

On the bright side, I'm optimistic that LP will make up for my LHBS's shortcomings.

And, speaking of grains, I saw that LP has Avangard malts for really good prices; Avangard's pils malt is stellar, and if Swaen is anything like it, I'm looking to trying some Swaen.

#7 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:05 AM

You.  Me.  Eye to eye.

I get that some grains are spendy, but to jack the prices up, on top of less-than-stellar customer service, is a bit of a slap in the face.

I'd been shopping at my LHBS for the last 17 years, and over that time, I've seen where the homebrew side of the business has gone, and TBH, it's been going downhill.  I think the brewery side of the business has taken too much attention/care/consideration away from the homebrew side, and as a long-time customer, that's a disappointment.

On the bright side, I'm optimistic that LP will make up for my LHBS's shortcomings.

And, speaking of grains, I saw that LP has Avangard malts for really good prices; Avangard's pils malt is stellar, and if Swaen is anything like it, I'm looking to trying some Swaen.

Listermans?

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:47 AM

Listermans?

Sadly yes.

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

Update: a big THANK YOU to Ken and all who recommended Label Peelers in the past.

Got 2 sacks of Avangard Pils ordered on Monday, and they arrived in perfect condition yesterday (Wednesday).

For the privilege of ordering the grain online, (much as I hate to) pay S&H, and have it delivered right to my garage door, I still came out ahead vs. going to my LHBS.

Thanks guys!

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

Update: a big THANK YOU to Ken and all who recommended Label Peelers in the past.

Got 2 sacks of Avangard Pils ordered on Monday, and they arrived in perfect condition yesterday (Wednesday).

For the privilege of ordering the grain online, (much as I hate to) pay S&H, and have it delivered right to my garage door, I still came out ahead vs. going to my LHBS.

Thanks guys!

Amazing that even with shipping it comes out cheaper.  Brew on!

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

Amazing that even with shipping it comes out cheaper.  Brew on!

Right.  It tells you that either some places are gouging or that Label Peelers has some crazy advantage that other places do not.  Somewhere on their site it says something like In business to make a living, not a killing and that seems to be true.  Also, Chils suggested it to me so kudos to him... I've been using them for full sacks ever since.  I still do have a decent local place that I go to occasionally for smaller things and they also fill my CO2 tanks.  Cheers.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:22 PM

Right.  It tells you that either some places are gouging or that Label Peelers has some crazy advantage that other places do not.  Somewhere on their site it says something like In business to make a living, not a killing and that seems to be true.  Also, Chils suggested it to me so kudos to him... I've been using them for full sacks ever since.  I still do have a decent local place that I go to occasionally for smaller things and they also fill my CO2 tanks.  Cheers.

I think it helps that L.D. Carlson is about 3 miles away from them.  Close to get the supplies they are selling.

#13 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

I think it helps that L.D. Carlson is about 3 miles away from them.  Close to get the supplies they are selling.

When I called LP, that's what they told me, i.e., that one of the US's largest grain suppliers was right down the road from them.

I ain't complainin'.

My LHBS (IMO) is gouging when they get to the point of charging ~$59 for a 55 lb sack of Rahr 2row. 

A year ago, they wanted ~$40; fair enough.  But now? GTFO.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

I managed to get a localish brewer to add some grain to an order for me.  I need to find a more local one though b/c I don't feel right using them when it's not a place i can visit regularly and support.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

When I called LP, that's what they told me, i.e., that one of the US's largest grain suppliers was right down the road from them.

I ain't complainin'.

My LHBS (IMO) is gouging when they get to the point of charging ~$59 for a 55 lb sack of Rahr 2row. 

A year ago, they wanted ~$40; fair enough.  But now? GTFO.

Rahr Pale Ale malt was $64 locally the last time I bought it.  I was completely out of base malt (besides pilsner) and wanted to brew relatively spontaneously so I went to the one LHBS that was a little further away but a place that I knew I would be able to get a sack of something like RPA, Canada Malting 2-row, etc.  I don't plan on doing that very much in the future with LP being so easy.

#16 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:30 PM

Another shout-out to Label Peelers:

Ordered 10# of specialty grains (crystal-40/-60, roasted barley, choc malt, and some flaked barley) at 10:30 this morning.

Got an email at 12 noon that my order was prepped and ready to ship.  Cool.

Got another email at 1:15 that my order shipped via FedEx, and will arrive by 8pm tomorrow night.  Mighty impressive.

Can't beat that, IMO.

#17 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:55 PM

I managed to get a localish brewer to add some grain to an order for me.  I need to find a more local one though b/c I don't feel right using them when it's not a place i can visit regularly and support.

I went that route years ago, but haven't done it in a couple of years.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

Another shout-out to Label Peelers:

Ordered 10# of specialty grains (crystal-40/-60, roasted barley, choc malt, and some flaked barley) at 10:30 this morning.

Got an email at 12 noon that my order was prepped and ready to ship.  Cool.

Got another email at 1:15 that my order shipped via FedEx, and will arrive by 8pm tomorrow night.  Mighty impressive.

Can't beat that, IMO.

Yeah, they are really, really good and really fast.  Prices are good, selection can be iffy and it looks like they carry various products but when you click on them they're not available.  So I feel like it's sort of like Sam's Club... prices are good but you may not get what you got last time.  Next time I go to order pale ale malt I'll probably be looking at something other than the Swaen because their pils is good but their pale ale malt is not quite as good.  Not sure of the other options but I'll be 'browsing'.  :D

#19 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

The new owners at my LHBS have been rubbing me the wrong way. The day to day guy is super new to brewing, and posted some bad advice on the shops facebook page; that's since gone away. They are offering more local malt by the sack, which im interested in trying, at $50 a bag.

In turn, they eliminated the previous owners semi annual sale of bulk grain- which came up two 30% off list per bag. So that bag of marris otter went from 54 to 74. LP has comparable prices, and its delivered to the east coast.

But what chaps my a$$ the most, I personally invited the new owners to a club meeting 2 months ago. Part of our meetings include everyone having a short discussion of what we brought- recipe, process, etc. A week or so later, the brew shop has the same thing, every week on our meeting night, and offer a discount to those who show up. Maybe Im taking it wrong way, but it stinks of plagiarism.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

I'll add this:  In the old days brewers used to say that they wanted to support their local supplier and that was a blanket statement.  The thought might be that the store would be there for when you desperately need something RIGHT NOW and I get that.  But I'm at the point where I don't support a place that gouges you on price or gives you bad advice or has expired products, poorly-packaged hops, lousy quality products, inconvenient hours, etc.  There was a place that packaged grain in plastic that they sealed up and the seals often came apart... all over my car or my basement or wherever.  I told them about it many times and they always said, "Oh yeah, some other people mentioned that too".  Then it happened again.  Okay, buh-bye now.  That's the end of that.  I technically have three local (ish) places I can go.  I also order online including LP and even Amazon.  I'm always prepared to brew and always have what I need including backup yeast if necessary.  The days of blindly supporting a local place are gone now unless they're very good.  Otherwise, I will do what is best for me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users