49 replies to this topic

#1 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCape Girardeau, MO

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:00 AM

I have a major problem that I can't get rid of. 6 months or so ago I brewed a American Wheat. While on vacation for a week I bottled this beer and brewed 3 other batches (Porter, APA, AAA). When I tried the Wheat I about got sick it tasted so much like hot rubber/ band aides. When I sampled my vacation week beers after primary fermentation they all had the same taste. After I tasted the wheat I began using oxyclean and saniclean for cleaning and sanitizing. Before I was just using scrubbing and a bleach solution. So the Porter, APA, and AAA all used oxyclean and saniclean. After tasting them and realizing the change in cleaning and sanitizing didn't fix my problem I replaced everything plasitic except my MLT and HLT. So, all new plastic, I just rebrewed a Porter two weeks ago. Just went to transfer and the aroma was still there and the taste was still there (though the taste was weaker). What the hell! Here is my brew equipment and process. Fly Sparge in 5 gallon coolers (john guest? fitting & hose), SS Boil Kettle, SS immersion chiller, SS spoon, plastic autosipon, vinyl hose, growler for yeast starter, plastic air lock & bunge, glass carboys (I primary 2 weeks and secondary 1 week), I use a nylon fine mesh back on my autosiphon for all transfers, plastic funnel for pitching yeast. I clean and sanitize everything.The only changes I can think of are that I ferment in an unfinished basement room. The temp is usually right around 70. Recently I got a second cat (about the time I brewed the wheat). The cat box is in that same room. When I take the carboy downstairs I cover the top with glad plastic wrap. I then uncover, pitch yeast and then recover. I didn't think this would ever be an issue with air borne wild yeast. I have always done this.Please help. I can't take the though of ruining another 5 gallons.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:17 AM

According to Palmer:

MedicinalThese flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aidâ„¢ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

From HowToBrew.com

MedicinalThese flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aidâ„¢ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors....Some city water supplies use a chemical called chloramine instead of chlorine to kill bacteria. Chloramine cannot be removed by boiling and will give a medicinal taste to beer. Chloramine can be removed by running the water through an activated-charcoal filter, or by adding a campden tablet (potassium metabisulfite).

Maybe try using a bottled water for your next batch, or a good activated carbon filter.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

According to Palmer:

LOL, beat me to it, but I added the section on chloramines. I WIN!!! :cheers:

#5 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

If it is the water would i taste in my normal drinking water. All my drinking and brewing water runs through a brita tap filter.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

If it is the water would i taste in my normal drinking water. All my drinking and brewing water runs through a brita tap filter.

Well, the Brita should remove the chloramine, I'm not sure about the efficiency of removal for those tap filters, though. If you're on municipal water you should ask the water board if they are using chloramine in your water. If not, that's not the culprit.It seems like chlorinated compounds are the precursors for medicinal off flavors, so try to locate where you may be introducing those in your process.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

LOL, beat me to it, but I added the section on chloramines. I WIN!!! :rolf:

I'm still awaiting word from the judges :facepalm: :cheers:

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

Well, the Brita should remove the chloramine, I'm not sure about the efficiency of removal for those tap filters, though. If you're on municipal water you should ask the water board if they are using chloramine in your water. If not, that's not the culprit.It seems like chlorinated compounds are the precursors for medicinal off flavors, so try to locate where you may be introducing those in your process.

I like to measure my water out the night before brewing and leave it open - I've heard that either chlorine or chloramines will evaporate if this is done. Perhaps this would help???

#9 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

Certainly water is the common element among the different styles of beer.For chloramine, 1/4 to 1/2 a campden tablet per 5 gallons is your best method of reduction. Filters can malfunction. Chloramine is typically 3 ppm and hard for me to pick up on. Although I never see it mentioned, tropical fish users have methods to remove chlorine & chloramine.Bottled water or distilled water with proper brewing salts added is another way to go.Good news these experiments can't hurt, and are a method to trouble shoot the problem.

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

The only other question I have is does this flavor build after fermentation or does it stay pretty constant. If it builds over time afterward then I would start looking for an infection (some infections can produce phenolic flavors that people perceive all over the map including rubber/plastic/medicinal). If not, I would look at the water.Zymot has a great suggestion. It would be worth the couple of bucks in water and salts to buy jugs of distilled water and build your brew water with salts (if possible build something similar to your local profile). If that eliminates your problem, then it is (probably) the water, if not, there are more questions to be asked.BTW, what is your location? Putting that in your profile can be a help when breaking down stuff like this because there is more than likely another brewer in your general area.

#11 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

The only other question I have is does this flavor build after fermentation or does it stay pretty constant. If it builds over time afterward then I would start looking for an infection (some infections can produce phenolic flavors that people perceive all over the map including rubber/plastic/medicinal). If not, I would look at the water.Zymot has a great suggestion. It would be worth the couple of bucks in water and salts to buy jugs of distilled water and build your brew water with salts (if possible build something similar to your local profile). If that eliminates your problem, then it is (probably) the water, if not, there are more questions to be asked.BTW, what is your location? Putting that in your profile can be a help when breaking down stuff like this because there is more than likely another brewer in your general area.

So far the flavor seems to remain pretty constant.I live in Cape Girardeau, MO but in Hillcrest Subdivision outside of city limits. We are on a community well.

#12 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

You might want to send a water sample to Ward Labs

#13 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:37 AM

I've also seen reports that autolysis can produce a burnt rubber off-taste. I experienced this once when I was a relatively new brewer and I messed around way too much trying to revive what I thought was a stuck fermentation. I did lots of stirring and tried to warm it up and just left it on the yeast way too long/too warm. It's the only batch I've had to throw out.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

I like to measure my water out the night before brewing and leave it open - I've heard that either chlorine or chloramines will evaporate if this is done. Perhaps this would help???

Chlorine will evaporate but chloramine will not and filters will only remove part of it. The only real solution for chloramine is the Campden tablet trick that zymot posted.

#15 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Just to be clear. The band-aid/rubber taste made these beers undrinkable. Could my water really have enough chlorimine to make it undrinkable?

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

Just to be clear. The band-aid/rubber taste made these beers undrinkable. Could my water really have enough chloramine to make it undrinkable?

Yes.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

Yes.

and there you have it :cheers:

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

Maybe just make a small batch, like a gallon, with some bottled water and see how it comes out.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

Also, was the Am. Wheat you brewed 6 months ago your first batch ever, or was this a problem that just cropped up all of a sudden after many batches?

#20 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Also, was the Am. Wheat you brewed 6 months ago your first batch ever, or was this a problem that just cropped up all of a sudden after many batches?

This cropped up all of the sudden. I have been all grain for two years and had about a dozen batches under my belt before this. This was my third brewing of the same wheat recipe, my fourth & fitth brewing of the porter recipe, second brewing of the APA, and second brewing of the AAA.My first assumption when this happened was that the bleach cleaing regiment finally crept up on me and my second thought was that I had gone too long without replacing my siphon hose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users