#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31611 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

OK, I've been driving my dads old truck for about 2.5 years now. It sat in my parents driveway for about 1.5 years before I started driving it. I've sunk about $4000 into it... brakes all around, suspension all around, tires, rear axel, air conditioner, alternator, brake lights (electrical problem) and transmission servicing are all the major things I've fixed.

Problems not fixed... Camber on the front passenger side (tire is wearing on the inside), roof leaks ($1200 estimate to fix because of the fecked up ford design and the rear window has to be reset - troughs on the roof that trap water). The body shop said that they might not even be able to fix the roof because of the design and where the rust is. He's going to do some research, but he's not sure that epoxy or bondo would keep the water out for even a year. Also, the engine is burning oil at about 1qt every 4000 miles. Leaks in the roof have caused mold that I am constantly fighting to get rid of and it stinks. Also, my battery either is being drained somehow or I have an electrical problem.

Circumstances: The truck has 198000 miles on it. TPW is in PA school until next spring and might not have a full time job until May next year. So we have 1 income and loans.

Should I suck it up and put up with the leaks, maybe just get the rear window reset? Maybe do a redneck fix and sand the rust down to bare metal and hit it up with flex seal? That and fixing the camber would likely cost me about $500 and I might be able to put up driving it for another year to 18 months. Who knows what else might go wrong though in that time. Trying to fix it all would probably cost about $2000 - $2500.

OR should I just get rid of it and get a new a truck and quit sinking money into this thing?

$2k doesn't equate to 12 months of car payments, but is it worth $100/mo to have piece of mind knowing my vehicle won't leave me somewhere or be out of service AGAIN?

PHBT go.

Vehicles I'm considering.... Toyota Tacoma or Ram 1500

#2 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4835 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

Loved my Ram until I got rear ended.

Can you afford the newer car payment and not be strapped? That’s the question.

I guess if it was me, I’d try to fix it and not have a car payment if that was my situation, unless I know it’s not going to strap me.

She’s pretty much guaranteed to get a job I believe as a PA.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31611 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:39 PM

Loved my Ram until I got rear ended.

Can you afford the newer car payment and not be strapped? That’s the question.

I guess if it was me, I’d try to fix it and not have a car payment if that was my situation, unless I know it’s not going to strap me.

She’s pretty much guaranteed to get a job I believe as a PA.

I have 2 trucks I can trade or sell to carmax and its a little bit of a gamble since TPW's insurance stops at the end of august. We've been paying $700/mo for cobra insurance for her since last march. We'll pay cash for the rest of the year if need be and we'll figure something out next year, but I'm not too worried about having cash around, I just am worried about being encumbered with another payment I HAVE to make.

#4 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51160 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

I’d suck it up and hold on to it myself. But I can do a large majority ofhe work myself so that is a consideration. My 05 f150 has 185k on it and I’ve put brakes and many other dollars into it recently as well, it’s worth keeping for me

#5 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8264 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

Does the other truck run and drive? I'd polish one up and post it up locally and pocket the cash until finances are less of an issue. I don't think I'd keep dumping money into it, nor would I want to take on another payment right now.

#6 dondewey

dondewey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:07 PM

I don't think I've ever heard of anyplace that employs engineers that doesn't offer family health insurance. That's completely crazy.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31611 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:40 PM

Does the other truck run and drive? I'd polish one up and post it up locally and pocket the cash until finances are less of an issue. I don't think I'd keep dumping money into it, nor would I want to take on another payment right now.

It runs and drives, but it's got a bunch of problems that need fixing too. 

I don't think I've ever heard of anyplace that employs engineers that doesn't offer family health insurance. That's completely crazy.

I can get insurance for her through work, but it wasn't nearly as good as cobra was since she worked for a big hospital and it cost just as much. I work for a small company and our insurance is just adequate.

#8 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:46 PM

It runs and drives, but it's got a bunch of problems that needs fixed too.

Post unfixed

#9 dondewey

dondewey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

Makes sense. If you don't need a truck right away, you can get a relative recent, reliable car for a couple of grand nowadays. You can then rent a pickup from home depot for like 20 bucks if you need to haul something. Then in a year get something decent. I bet you could sell both trucks and get something ok for nothing out of pocket.

This is coming from someone who has owned a series of shitty trucks. Currently have a 15 year old expedition with a sunroof that I caulked permanently shut to stop a roof leak! My rule is that once it drops to under 2 grand, there is no such thing as a too ghetto fix.

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31611 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

I’d suck it up and hold on to it myself. But I can do a large majority ofhe work myself so that is a consideration. My 05 f150 has 185k on it and I’ve put brakes and many other dollars into it recently as well, it’s worth keeping for me

I don't have the time or the experience to properly try to fix the roof and the window other than a super redneck jury rigged job. I definitely can't fix the camber.

#11 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5754 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:58 PM

Sell both. Commuter car. Rent a truck as needed per the other suggestions.

Who does cobra to it's end? Get her on a family plan, or an education plan.

Last... I recall you don't really like your job... Look for one where you can get some Kick-Ass benefits for the family. The engineering market is absolutely booming everywhere from what I've seen. I get recruiter calls at least 2x a week and half of those are to relocate. The market for technical types is good everywhere from when I can see.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31611 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:03 PM

Sell both. Commuter car. Rent a truck as needed per the other suggestions.

Who does cobra to it's end? Get her on a family plan, or an education plan.

Last... I recall you don't really like your job... Look for one where you can get some Kick-Ass benefits for the family. The engineering market is absolutely booming everywhere from what I've seen. I get recruiter calls at least 2x a week and half of those are to relocate. The market for technical types is good everywhere from when I can see.

Im not leaving my job. That's not even on the table. I want a new truck, this is just about timing. It's either now or in 18 months and how much money do I end up spending between now and then and is it worth the effort?

#13 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19309 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:45 AM

Have a car that isn't dependable is stressful. Never knowing if it will start, run or leave you stranded. It sounds like the truck runs ok mechanical so you are not breaking down. I would get the chamber fixed and diy the leak. If the leak is a bad design there should be a diy YouTube solution.

#14 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21088 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:01 AM

Boy, I've been there over the years. Do you settle for what you have even though you have to keep cranking on it to keep it running, or do you buy something better trading the shade tree for something a bit more reliable.

To compound the problem you are over $4 g into the truck.

Man, I'd opt for something a little more reliable that didn't need winding up every weekend. Even if it sucked as a car, you know...something you really want to own, but was more mechanically reliable, it would seem that would be the better choice in the long run. 

Yeah it squeezes the ol' purse strings too but so does fixing the jalopy and what ever emergency fixing you may have to do on the side of the road. 

#15 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8402 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:04 AM

Renting a truck when one is needed has worked out well for me.
It's not that often our hatchback can't move something.
I've brought home refrigerators in it.

#16 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19309 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:11 AM

When you say "new" do you mean brand new? I just saw a commercial for ram trucks. $3800 down and $380 per month. If money is tight I would hold off on something brand new.

At this point if the truck isn't leaving you stranded $2500 for the next 18 most seems like the fiscally responsible solution

#17 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8402 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:11 AM

I think I'm in the fix up the truck as best as possible camp.
In a year you will be in a different situation.
Why be stressed and saddled with a payment it sounds like you don't want right now.

I've said it before here, I learned selling cars, the cheapest car for you to own, is the one you own.

#18 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19309 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:20 AM

To compound the problem you are over $4 g into the truck.

I wouldn't even factor that in. I believe he inherited the truck when his father passed away. He has driven it for 2.5 years. $4000 for 2.5 years isn't bad.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31611 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:36 AM

Its had the leak that long too. If you factor in gas mileage differential between a new vehicle thats about $40/mo less in gas if i increase mileage/gal by 15% conservatively.

I dunno. Im sick of the mold. Im about to get a new battery and if the truck keeps on doing what its doing after the new bttery then its got another electrical problem.

Owning this thing is a headache. If something serious happens to the engine then im screwed because ive lost any value it had.

#20 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19309 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:04 AM

The 3rd option is get rid of it and get a car / cuv with low miles in the 8-12k range. Drive it for a couple years and get the new truck then. You can get a car that is dependable, which solves that stress. The payments will be low and with the better mpg you monthly outlay might be close to what you spend on gas with the truck.

Is you 2nd truck drivable? Keep that for the weekly home Depot run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users