#1 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19682 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:17 PM

My in-laws gave me a PizzaQue for my birthday. First run this Sunday. I will report back
https://www.pizzacra...t-kettle-grills

Edited by Sidney Porter, 13 June 2018 - 06:17 PM.

#2 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39434 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

Nice!

#3 glassonion

glassonion

Duke of Errrrl

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22743 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

Well that's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one such as that. ~follows thread~

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24462 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

My wife bought the Weber equivalent a few years back.  It works well if you get it hot.  You can't get a big pizza on ours but if prepped you can do some fairly fast.  I like to throw some mesquite on for the little smoke and it burns hot.

#5 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43263 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

I approve.

#6 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17894 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

What's up with all the outdoor pizza oven stuff nowdays??? I noticed at Sam's club the other day they are selling a outdoor portable brick oven wood fired pizza maker.  I loves my pizza, but am not sure that I wanna spend $800 on a cooker for outdoors.  I gotta be honest, I get my pizza jones from just frequenting local pizza vendors.  You all are not going to like this, but I discovered with making my own beer that I'd rather just buy from the grocery liquor department since I was not saving money.

I support that pizzaque thing though since the cost is not sky high and will look forward to following this thread!!

#7 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

Need one for the gas grill

#8 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13430 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:27 PM

Need one for the gas grill

https://www.kettlepi...-grill-inserts/

#9 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52559 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

Black stone makes a pizza oven that is pretty damn cool, cooks at nearly 900 degrees, it’s a bit of a one trick pony imho, but some claim it’s not it you use it to broil steaks Ruth’s Chris style

#10 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3208 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:25 AM

Serious Eats did a shootout for Pizza ovens a month ago.

https://www.seriouse...ens-review.html

#11 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36141 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:56 AM

What's up with all the outdoor pizza oven stuff nowdays??? I noticed at Sam's club the other day they are selling a outdoor portable brick oven wood fired pizza maker.  I loves my pizza, but am not sure that I wanna spend $800 on a cooker for outdoors.  I gotta be honest, I get my pizza jones from just frequenting local pizza vendors.  You all are not going to like this, but I discovered with making my own beer that I'd rather just buy from the grocery liquor department since I was not saving money.

I support that pizzaque thing though since the cost is not sky high and will look forward to following this thread!!

on the pizza front I assume it's much like beer where you like making your own beer.  saving money is pretty unlikely.

Serious Eats did a shootout for Pizza ovens a month ago.

https://www.seriouse...ens-review.html

that's a nice comparison.  if I ate pizza more often some of those might seem worth it.

#12 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13430 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:33 AM

My in-laws gave me a PizzaQue for my birthday. First run this Sunday. I will report back
https://www.pizzacra...t-kettle-grills

Just a hunch but I think it will need some modification to bring the dome down.  On my kettle pizza I run a grate and stone on the top before I put the lid on.  The keeps the heat lower to the pizza being cooked and gets the top cooked.  When I run it without the top never gets cooked enough for my liking.  Overall I really like turning the kettle into a pizza oven and I can turn out a good pizza in 4-5 minutes at about 550-600.

#13 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19682 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:35 AM

The kettle pizza is another option
https://www.kettlepizza.com

It is the same principle as the pizzaque. The kettle pizza is more expensive. It seems like the reviews are similar and people are happy with both.

Serious eats did not include these in their comparison since they are affliated with the kettle pizza (they supply an add on baking steel?)

#14 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19682 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:52 AM

Yesterday I made 6 pizzas. To take a variable out I used naan as the crust. It used a lot of fuel. Per the instructions 10lbs. The themometer at the stone level was 800 and 650 at the dome. I preheated the stone for 5 minutes. But the stone continue to gain heat. The first pizza took 7 minutes, the last one took 3 or 4.

With dough I might need to dial the temp back. But let the stone heat up longer?

The unit seems pretty well built. assemble was easy.

So far I would recommend it

#15 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13430 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:02 AM

Yesterday I made 6 pizzas. To take a variable out I used naan as the crust. It used a lot of fuel. Per the instructions 10lbs. The themometer at the stone level was 800 and 650 at the dome. I preheated the stone for 5 minutes. But the stone continue to gain heat. The first pizza took 7 minutes, the last one took 3 or 4.

With dough I might need to dial the temp back. But let the stone heat up longer?

The unit seems pretty well built. assemble was easy.

So far I would recommend it

I have a kettlepizza and have found I like it at 550ish.  I have ran it as high as 900 and made good pizzas with it but the lower works better for me. I typically have the stone or steel preheating for about 20-30 minutes before I throw a pizza on.

#16 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24836 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:50 AM

News flash: You don't make your own beer to save money.  You can't compete with a company with that kind of economy of scale.  You do it because you can make better beer than what's commercially available.

#17 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52559 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

News flash: You don't make your own beer to save money.  You can't compete with a company with that kind of economy of scale.  You do it because you can make better beer than what's commercially available.

i got lazy, that's why i'm not brewing anymore.  homemade pizza OTOH in fact DOES save money.  costs us about $5 to make a pizza at home (vs $25 for equiv at the local pizza joint).  however, we do not use an outdoor oven to do it, if I lived on pizza I'd get an outdoor oven but even so it seem ridiculous given the weather up here, winter is prime pizza wanting time, not sure id' want to fire up a brick oven on the patio in the middle of winter, seems like to much effort for to little return.

#18 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8696 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:01 AM

What if people enjoy making pizza (or beer)?

#19 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52559 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

What if people enjoy making pizza (or beer)?

i would say that's simply great!!!  but don't try to justify your hobby as cost saving, etc.  just say I enjoy doing it.  :cheers:

FTR - buddy of mine has a monthly brewing budget of ~$1000, he enjoys it a lot.  obviously he's well beyond your average home brewer both in terms of budget and volume, he probably should go pro someday

#20 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7319 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

i would say that's simply great!!! but don't try to justify your hobby as cost saving, etc. just say I enjoy doing it. :cheers:

FTR - buddy of mine has a monthly brewing budget of ~$1000, he enjoys it a lot. obviously he's well beyond your average home brewer both in terms of budget and volume, he probably should go pro someday

How do you spend that much a month on brewing beer? That's a lot of beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users