#1 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93186 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:49 PM

I think the old cub lawn tractor is finally hitting its end. I don't feel like rebuilding an engine for a vehicle that is probably going to see a transmission failure soon, or at least I'd like to understand what's out there for alternatives.

For doing weekly trash, sweeping and spraying the lawn, hauling some dirt around, etc, should I shop around for a used ATV, or is that asking for headaches? Is the market for decent ones dominated by Honda, Polaris, Kawasaki, etc, or are there some good dark horse brands out there?

I would say max typical towing would be 300 pounds over modest terrain, so not sure if 4wd is necessary, but no idea really.

What say you?

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19045 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

300lbs ... I thought you were going to use it to haul stuff

#3 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2875 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

It’s probably way overkill.

FIL regularly uses a Polaris sportsman 700 to pull logs in excess of 500lbs. Not towed in a cart. Dragged.

What are you going to replace the lawn tractor with? Presumably another tractor right? I pull a trailer full of mulch (9-10 bags.) behind my zero turn regularly without issue.

#4 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5541 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

Golf cart.

An ATV/UTV would be Overkill for your needs

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10819 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:44 PM

Is there any other tasks you use the Cub for other than hauling light loads?

#6 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93186 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:13 PM

Golf cart.

An ATV/UTV would be Overkill for your needs

I just can't imagine dragging a dethatcher or sweeper with a golf cart. Are there higher power ones than what you typically get on the golf course or something? I agree about the UTV. I don't need anything for multiple riders.

Is there any other tasks you use the Cub for other than hauling light loads?

Other than the ones listed in the OP? I can't think of any. I can imagine getting a small plow, but it's not really essential.

Edited by D Fender, 12 June 2018 - 08:24 PM.

#7 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93186 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:28 PM

What are you going to replace the lawn tractor with? Presumably another tractor right?

Thinking about an ATV, actually.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10819 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:37 PM

Lol. Attention span failure. Anyhow, ATV would be overkill as mentioned. Although that shouldn’t preclude you from getting one. The load is light enough... why not use whatever you have for mowing?

#9 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37510 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

My neighbor pulled a mowing deck behind his Honda ATV. He also used it for hunting and once his son was 9 or 10, he was having a blast on it. The mowing deck had it own briggs and Stratton engine. It was not power by a pto from the Honda. I

#10 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93186 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:41 PM

Lol. Attention span failure. Anyhow, ATV would be overkill as mentioned. Although that shouldn’t preclude you from getting one. The load is light enough... why not use whatever you have for mowing?

I have a ZTR that's rather purpose specific, and I don't want to put too much stress on it. The deck doesn't really make it conducive to hauling things out to the trails and back gardens, and I tend not to keep it accessible in the winter, when I still need to haul trash up the hill. It's just a lot bigger than what I want to be using as a yard Tasker.

I don't want to go overkill. In fact, the reason I brought it up is because it seems like the simplest machine with an engine and four wheels. I'm trying to go minimalist here. What else is out there that wouldn't be overkill?

Edited by D Fender, 12 June 2018 - 08:43 PM.

#11 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19045 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:58 PM

Sounds like you need a JD Gator

#12 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93186 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:06 PM

That was what the wife suggested as well.
Still seems like more than I need, since I already have a utility cart good for a half ton.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10819 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

I have a ZTR that's rather purpose specific, and I don't want to put too much stress on it. The deck doesn't really make it conducive to hauling things out to the trails and back gardens, and I tend not to keep it accessible in the winter, when I still need to haul trash up the hill. It's just a lot bigger than what I want to be using as a yard Tasker.

I don't want to go overkill. In fact, the reason I brought it up is because it seems like the simplest machine with an engine and four wheels. I'm trying to go minimalist here. What else is out there that wouldn't be overkill?

Thinking out loud... Looks like a ZTR is somewhat of a unitasker? Would a bigger L&G tractor (like Deere 500 or 700 series) serve your mowing needs and then some? They will easily haul what you need and are great for moving snow if you need that. Maybe trade/sell that ZTR and get one machine that is more versatile? Hard to know if that makes sense without fully knowing your situation.

#14 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19045 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:25 PM

What about about something like this (not an expert) but it’s a step between golf cart and atv

http://www.powerspor...BSABEgJyM_D_BwE

Edited by EWW, 12 June 2018 - 09:25 PM.

#15 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93186 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:28 PM

I'm absolutely in love with the z625. It cut my mowing from 3+ hours to down under an hour and a half. I'm happy to have it in the summer, and won't likely ditch it.

What you're saying makes sense, but saving hours is hugely important to me right now. The ztr is definitely a unitasker, but for that essential task, it knocks it out of the park and works great for my property.

I'm hoping that I can just spend a few thousand bucks and get something with around 30hp, a rear differential, and the right gearing to haul a 30 gallon sprayer around for a few hours without doing damage.

What about about something like this (not an expert) but it’s a step between golf cart and atv

http://www.powerspor...BSABEgJyM_D_BwE

Hehe. My boy has almost the same thing! If it's the same torque converter trans that's on his, I definitely wouldn't tow anything with it. I appreciate you thinkin', though!

#16 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3181 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:02 PM

I asked about using an ATV to pull a mower deck a long time ago and was told the wheels on the ATV are all driven and when you make a sharp turn it would tear up the grass..This was in the late 80's- We printed all of the advertisement and brochures for Polaris back when they first hit the market. I got nothing.

Edited by Mike Green, 12 June 2018 - 10:05 PM.

#17 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6338 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:35 PM

I had an 06 Yamaha Grizzly 660 for a while.  It pushed a snowplow pretty good, and ripped the deck off the back of my house with minimal rutting to the yard.  ATV trader shows a few with low hours under $5K.  

#18 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:06 AM

I’ve got three
A Kawasaki bayou 220 that is 2wd that’s be fine for what you’re after, paid 450 for it several years ago at a county ditch master surplus auction.
A Polaris sportsman 350 2wd that’s a pretty high strung 2stroke toy that would trash a lawn in a hurry
A Polaris sportsman 700 4wd that pushes a 72” snowplow with 400lbs of steel on it with no problem and would be decent around a yard with the low range selectable 2/4 wd option
I’d probably look for a 2wd smallish four stroke that wouldn’t be as hyper as a 2 stroke can be.
They’ll all move 6-800lb trailers easy enough, the 350 is more a “sporty” model and probably hits 65 mph, I can never read the speedo from the vibration ripping down the road though.

#19 D Fender

D Fender

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93186 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:22 AM

Cool. Thanks.

#20 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33576 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:53 AM

An ATV sounds like it'd be fun.  You can never overkill, just awesome kill.  And there is no limit to awesome.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users