15 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

One of my kegs of low-O2 beer went down earlier this week and I just replaced it with the summer pale ale which finished carbing today (that's 16 days grain-to-glass on that beer).  When I disconnected the empty keg there was a thick blob of yeast on the post.  I switched the kegs, changed the tap handle, etc. and there was this great aroma from the yeast on my hands and I realized it smelled so great because it's 2124.  Then I realized that there must be a bunch of it at the bottom of that empty keg.  And there was!  I sanitized my funnel and flask, tipped the keg upside and got about 400ml of fresh yeast.  I feel like I could just pitch it but maybe I should make a starter with it.  Has anyone ever harvested yeast from the bottom of a keg before?  I typically wouldn't have that much yeast in a keg but the low-O2 processes are weird like that.  Any thoughts?

I think I'll do this with it:

5u4s40.png

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

I did it back in the greenboard days.  It was drinkable is about all I remember.  Probably not one of my best ideas.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:44 AM

I did it back in the greenboard days.  It was drinkable is about all I remember.  Probably not one of my best ideas.

Do you see an issue with it?  Is this something like "it was the last yeast to floc and may not be healthy" kind of things?  Maybe being under pressure or something?  I don't expect this to be something that happens much in the future.   The yeast looks and smells fantastic.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

Do you see an issue with it?  Is this something like "it was the last yeast to floc and may not be healthy" kind of things?  Maybe being under pressure or something?  I don't expect this to be something that happens much in the future.   The yeast looks and smells fantastic.

I really don't remember much except I did it once and didn't dump the batch. That's all I got.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

I really don't remember much except I did it once and didn't dump the batch. That's all I got.

Given the appearance, aroma and amount of this yeast, I'm going to give it a try.  If I'm not happy with the resulting beer, lesson learned.  Cheers & thanks.  

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

Damn. If you got that much yeast, I would for sure save it. I actually ordered a couple yeasts so I can keep some in the fridge for building a small supply of yeasts I like. Harvesting from the keg is my hope in the end too!

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

When I dumped out my lodo blonde I noticed a huge amount of yeast in the bottom.  Since these beers are moved so soon in the process I think the yeast is still good and viable.  I think it is worth a shot to see what comes of it.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

When I dumped out my lodo blonde I noticed a huge amount of yeast in the bottom.  Since these beers are moved so soon in the process I think the yeast is still good and viable.  I think it is worth a shot to see what comes of it.

I had only used that yeast three times before I retired it.  Little did I know there was so much in the keg.  As mentioned, I've been on a bit of a rally lately because I had a low-production, high-consumption stretch in there.  I have Bayern and 2278 waiting as my next lager yeasts but using this fresh-looking (and smelling) 2124 is a welcome thing at this point.  Planning this helles for Friday afternoon/evening.  

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

Update:  I made this helles with the 2124 harvested from a keg and that was 17 days ago.  The beer was transferred to a keg, chilled and carbed and finished carbing at 1:30 this afternoon.  I just pulled a sample to see how it was and it's fantastic.  I admit I was mildly sheepish using this yeast that was last used in JANUARY and sitting at the bottom of a keg since then.  But the helles is fresh-tasting, clean, refreshing, etc.  It's a little young and cloudy but the yeast clearly did its thing.  A pic...

ivv4ld.jpg

#10 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9143 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

Noice

#11 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

I'd think you'd be self selecting for low floc yeast but if it taste good...

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  The yeast that ended up at the bottom of the keg was probably the last to floc.  I'll hit it with gel solution again if necessary but it's getting clearer and the flavor is nice.  I plan to leave it for another 2+ weeks and then see how it tastes.  Cheers.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:43 PM

Maybe but maybe not if this was from a spunded beer that was moved to the keg relatively early, 4-5 days after pitching or less.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:25 PM

Maybe but maybe not if this was from a spunded beer that was moved to the keg relatively early, 4-5 days after pitching or less.

Good point. It was a spunded keg.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

I break the LODO rules and let it finish out in primary and crash.  I do transfer under pressure into purged kegs so I don't see much room for O2 pickup.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

This helles made with 2124 (from the bottom of a keg) was put on tap last night.  I grabbed a few ounces of mildly cloudy beer and tossed it and then ran a new glass and yum... it turned out great and is very clear and very pale.  I'll try to get a picture of it later today.  I was a little hesitant on this batch since I hadn't really tried this before and also because I feel like I have been rolling the dice on my yeast use lately.  So I consider this to be a "bonus batch" of beer that I was able to just sneak in there with some unexpected 2124.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users