#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

I ferment my beers in Ale Pails, and I use an Autosiphon to rack the beer from bucket to keg, but on kegging day, I figured there had to be a better way to reduce the amount of crud that the AS picked up, without me having to stand there the entire time.

A couple of years back, I saw a stray bungie cord sitting on my brew bench, and I had an epiphany:  (this pic is from a batch I kegged earlier this morning)

ax04Uie.jpg?1

Using this setup, the AS can be easily moved as the beer siphons, to stay just above the yeast cake, without the AS slipping out of place.

I now get less sediment than ever in the keg, and the resulting beers clear faster (I do use Biofine, but I was still getting way too much crud in the keg).

Just thought I'd share.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53814 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

Nice.  Yes, the humble bungee cord has been used here too.

Recently I started doing something that is even easier though... use a bottling bucket as your primary.  I have used plastic buckets as primaries for years but using a bottling bucket allows you to just connect tubing to the spigot, open it and go.  Place a liquid-out QD on the other end and you can do a gravity closed-transfer to the keg to avoid excess O2 pickup.  I've been doing this for all of my 2018 batches and I really like the simplicity of it.  

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

Use a bungee cord to hold my heating pad on my fermentor.  Easy simple solution!

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

No bungee here. I have a 1/2" cane too so it goes rather quick. I just make sure I have a beer next to me. Hold the cane, drink the beer. Done in less than 5.

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10709 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:39 PM

Nice.  Yes, the humble bungee cord has been used here too.

Recently I started doing something that is even easier though... use a bottling bucket as your primary.  I have used plastic buckets as primaries for years but using a bottling bucket allows you to just connect tubing to the spigot, open it and go.  Place a liquid-out QD on the other end and you can do a gravity closed-transfer to the keg to avoid excess O2 pickup.  I've been doing this for all of my 2018 batches and I really like the simplicity of it.  

a few years ago I bought 2 of the morebeer Speidel fermenters. So I also just do a gravity transfer to the keg and love it.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:17 PM

Ive seen them used as sky hooks. They are nifty for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users