#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

Why is this a swallowing of pride? Nothing wrong with using something like this.

#22 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

I'll add a voice to the choir: no pride need be swallowed.  I have one and like it.  Would lay out for a 240v if it comes to the US market.

#23 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

I'll add a voice to the choir: no pride need be swallowed.  I have one and like it.  Would lay out for a 240v if it comes to the US market.

I was wondering about that. I hear some brewers invest in a heat stick to expedite boil? Have you considered that?

#24 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Considered, yes, acted on, no.  Honestly, I enjoy brewing so the time involved really doesn't bother me.

#25 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:35 PM

Why is this a swallowing of pride? Nothing wrong with using something like this.

I was wondering that, too.

#26 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:35 PM

I started in 2005 on cobbled together stuff. Back then a turnkey all-grain system was big money. Over time my system evolved to what I have now. Simplistic, but requires a fair bit of work to brew on. But it's my system, and I know how to brew on it quite well. So, I feel like I'm swallowing my pride a bit in buying a system that comes in one box with a Bluetooth controller because I can't handle the heat any longer. I held out as long as I could. :D

That said, had this thing been available when I first started it would have been a no-brainer. Some folks enjoy the engineering aspect of this hobby, and I do, too, to some extent. But I got my system where I wanted it, and I never felt the need for any major changes. I just want to brew, and do it consistently.

It showed up today, BTW.  :smoke:

#27 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

What software does the GF use? I read that a bunch of people switched over to CraftBeerPi

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

What software does the GF use? I read that a bunch of people switched over to CraftBeerPi

I know nothing about CraftBeerPi.  The GF uses it's own app.  I don't bother with it.  I just run the thing manually.  It's actually faster and easier than software.

#29 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

I started in 2005 on cobbled together stuff. Back then a turnkey all-grain system was big money. Over time my system evolved to what I have now. Simplistic, but requires a fair bit of work to brew on. But it's my system, and I know how to brew on it quite well. So, I feel like I'm swallowing my pride a bit in buying a system that comes in one box with a Bluetooth controller because I can't handle the heat any longer. I held out as long as I could. :D

That said, had this thing been available when I first started it would have been a no-brainer. Some folks enjoy the engineering aspect of this hobby, and I do, too, to some extent. But I got my system where I wanted it, and I never felt the need for any major changes. I just want to brew, and do it consistently.

It showed up today, BTW.  :smoke:

Isn't it odd that we define our hobby by how much work it takes?  :)

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

Isn't it odd that we define our hobby by how much work it takes?  :)

Everyone defines a hobby differently.

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

Everyone defines a hobby differently.

sure, and everyone gets to decide for themselves.  But I find it interesting that so many people seem to think that it's not homebrewing unless you do it the most difficult way possible!  Not saying that's the case here...just something I've mused about.

#32 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:41 PM

When a chemistry teacher friend of mine and I started brewing in the mid-to-late 1980s, the only way to do it was by going to the health food store, buying bulk grains and mashing in multiple pots on one of our stoves and making a hellacious mess.  Brew days were endless and the results spotty.   Now, if there's an easy route, I take it and the results are consistently better than the "good old days."

#33 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:46 PM

When a chemistry teacher friend of mine and I started brewing in the mid-to-late 1980s, the only way to do it was by going to the health food store, buying bulk grains and mashing in multiple pots on one of our stoves and making a hellacious mess.  Brew days were endless and the results spotty.   Now, if there's an easy route, I take it and the results are consistently better than the "good old days."

Those days were "interesting".  But it was still so sweet to pop a cap and gently pour a beer you made.  I still remember the first bottle of homebrew I made that I drank.  Early 80's and I was pretty damn happy with it.

#34 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:37 AM

I've been brewing on the GF for a couple of years now.  I enjoy being able to brew indoors... during both the winter AND summer!

A couple of items of note:

1.  Make sure you remove the Top Overflow Pipe before dumping your grains.  I went to brew yesterday and couldn't find it.  Yup!  It ended up in the Dane County Landfill after my last brew.  I'm gonna start dumping my grains up in the woods behind my house (it's my property, so no worries) so I can sift through it should something like this ever happen again.

2.  Ignore most of the "mods" to the mechanics of the system that guys talk.    Although if you can install a site glass, that would be helpful. 

3.  A heat stick isn't a bad thing to have in your arsenal to help bring it up to a boil.  I've had one for years and it has been very helpful.

4.  There is a fault switch that is inconveniently located beneath the system.  If you use something like... say Belgian Candy and it lands on top of the element, it won't take long for the system to shut itself off.  You can't exactly lift the GF full of hot wort to press the button.  Get a dolly with wheels and an open center to set the unit on so you can reach the button if you have to.

Badogg has one too.  It does have its limitations, but I generally brew beers around 5% anyways, but my Belgian clocked in at over 8%.  

#35 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

sure, and everyone gets to decide for themselves.  But I find it interesting that so many people seem to think that it's not homebrewing unless you do it the most difficult way possible!  Not saying that's the case here...just something I've mused about.

Agreed!

It's like a big electric brew in bag system with a pump and thermometer attached to it.  if someone was inclined, they could probably try and make it themselves, but that person would have to absolutely love DIY projects.  I don't see how this is any different than buying any other "turnkey" system, even the ones that are modeled on Lonnie's Brutus system.

#36 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

I know nothing about CraftBeerPi.  The GF uses it's own app.  I don't bother with it.  I just run the thing manually.  It's actually faster and easier than software.

I've got the "old" controller, so still do everything manually.  I use the app for my timing and reminders... only it doesn't remind you to remove the Top Overflow before dumping the grains.

#37 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

I've been brewing on the GF for a couple of years now.  I enjoy being able to brew indoors... during both the winter AND summer!

A couple of items of note:

1.  Make sure you remove the Top Overflow Pipe before dumping your grains.  I went to brew yesterday and couldn't find it.  Yup!  It ended up in the Dane County Landfill after my last brew.  I'm gonna start dumping my grains up in the woods behind my house (it's my property, so no worries) so I can sift through it should something like this ever happen again.

2.  Ignore most of the "mods" to the mechanics of the system that guys talk.    Although if you can install a site glass, that would be helpful. 

3.  A heat stick isn't a bad thing to have in your arsenal to help bring it up to a boil.  I've had one for years and it has been very helpful.

4.  There is a fault switch that is inconveniently located beneath the system.  If you use something like... say Belgian Candy and it lands on top of the element, it won't take long for the system to shut itself off.  You can't exactly lift the GF full of hot wort to press the button.  Get a dolly with wheels and an open center to set the unit on so you can reach the button if you have to.

Badogg has one too.  It does have its limitations, but I generally brew beers around 5% anyways, but my Belgian clocked in at over 8%.  

1. A couple years ago a met I guy and showed him how to brew. His first brew was an extract at my place while we did an all grain on my system. Since then he's become my main partner come brewday. He moved to a GF pretty quickly, and is doing pretty well on it. He became my mentor yesterday, and this was one of my huge takeaways...he dumped his and had to sift through cold, 24 hour old spent grain to retrieve it. Now I know!

2. The combination of markings in the boiler and volume calculators worked well enough for me.

3. I was actually surprised at its heating capability. I'd add the jacket before I looked to do anything else.

4. Good to know. I watched a guy brew on one once, using like 20+ feet of shitty extension cord. He couldn't figure out why it wouldn't boil, and kept tripping that breaker every few minutes. :D I'm pretty adept at brewing with honey and sugars as well. No scorch on my propane system, and now no fouling of my little Grainfather heating element.

#38 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:23 PM

The biggest drawback I've found thus far is cleanup. My old system required about 10-15 minutes from the time the wort was in the fridge to the time is was packed away. But that's on the driveway, with a garden hose. The GF requires more delicate touch, and a good bit of recirculation.

Which leads me to another potential drawback--having been designed around the water saving brew-in-a-bag system, this thing does require a lot of water to recirculate for chilling and cleaning, not to mention reheating. It's not a concern for me, but if water and time savings are a priority, it could be seen as a drawback for some.

Edited by Area Man, 11 June 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:36 AM

The biggest drawback I've found thus far is cleanup. My old system required about 10-15 minutes from the time the wort was in the fridge to the time is was packed away. But that's on the driveway, with a garden hose. The GF requires more delicate touch, and a good bit of recirculation.

Which leads me to another potential drawback--having been designed around the water saving brew-in-a-bag system, this thing does require a lot of water to recirculate for chilling and cleaning, not to mention reheating. It's not a concern for me, but if water and time savings are a priority, it could be seen as a drawback for some.

the cleaning aspect is one of the reasons I like to try to keep things as simple as I can.  unfortunately most of my recent "improvements" have made cleanup slightly more work.

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:39 AM

I am sure you do this but save your chilling water out of the CFC for clean up.  I save mine for a second batch of beer if I have one planned for that weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users