#1 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

I brew on a propane fueled 3-tier system in the garage. It's simple, but does just what I need. Even brewed a couple of award winners on it. By this time last year, I had already used two sacks of base malt (doing 5 gal batches). This year we're already consistently in the 100's every day, and I just can't do it.

My "local" HBS in the Ft Worth area just put the Grainfather Connect on sale for $799, shipped free with an AG kit thrown in to boot. I'm a little leery on making the switch, as I know my old system so well. But man, the thought of being able to brew in the house through the summer was too much to resist. I've done quite a few BIAB batches in the past with good success, so I know the basic process. Plus, I have a few buddies who have them, who can help me out. I'm keeping my old system, and it will remain my "cool weather" rig.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

Don't feel bad.  Brewing is better than not brewing.  Since I had the time and inclination I can brew year round out of the weather on my build.  It's nice to have the indoor option.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

Nothing wrong with those rigs. Like dj said, any brewing is better than not brewing.

Now get brewing!

#4 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

Gonna break it in proper-like with an American Strong Ale next weekend.  :blink:

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:13 AM

Don't feel bad.  Brewing is better than not brewing.  Since I had the time and inclination I can brew year round out of the weather on my build.  It's nice to have the indoor option.

This.  No fun (and for some, potentially dangerous) to brew outside in the 100's.

It's a new system, sure, but so was the system each of us started our brewing paths on; each of us had to learn our system's features and peculiarities, until we knew what we were dealing with, so we could make the best beer possible with that system.

I'd say AM has the best now of both worlds: a work-around for when it's too hot to brew outside, and his old rig, for when it's too nice not to brew outside.

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:47 AM

I wouldn't brew much if I had to sweat or freeze it out outside very much so congrats. I'm able to do everything but the boil inside and leave the boil except for hop additions and it is nice.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:52 AM

My buddy bought a grainfather a while ago, he loves it.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:37 AM

I'm really loving my Grainfather.  I use it in a hybrid system where I mash in the GF, then pump to my propane fired kettle for boiling.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

I'm really loving my Grainfather.  I use it in a hybrid system where I mash in the GF, then pump to my propane fired kettle for boiling.

What makes it better than the cooler?  The ability to step mash or something else?  Also,  any idea how much grain is the max for it?

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

What makes it better than the cooler?  The ability to step mash or something else?  Also,  any idea how much grain is the max for it?

Yeah, step mashing, although I only do that sometimes.  But since it's so easy I want to go back to discovering if step mashing really makes a difference.  So far, I don't think so.  Also, the all in one aspect is really nice. I don't have to fire up a burner for mash water and then xfer it.  The slight downside is that it takes more cleaning than just rinsing out the cooler. 

GF says max is 20 lb.  They point out that is you use that much you want to be sure to add it slowly and stir it in.  I do that anyway, on any system.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, step mashing, although I only do that sometimes.  But since it's so easy I want to go back to discovering if step mashing really makes a difference.  So far, I don't think so.  Also, the all in one aspect is really nice. I don't have to fire up a burner for mash water and then xfer it.  The slight downside is that it takes more cleaning than just rinsing out the cooler. 

GF says max is 20 lb.  They point out that is you use that much you want to be sure to add it slowly and stir it in.  I do that anyway, on any system.

Thanks!

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:16 PM

Still too high of a price point for me but I have to admit I'm watching the GF system for potential procurement

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

Still too high of a price point for me but I have to admit I'm watching the GF system for potential procurement

Did you know they're on sale for $799 now?

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

Did you know they're on sale for $799 now?

Yes from the OP. Still too high for the list of house needs :(

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

That’s a slick rig! One of these days I need to revamp my ghetto system

#16 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

Is the GF is a 240v system?

Edited by Mike Green, 04 June 2018 - 06:27 PM.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

Is the GF is a 240v system?

Not the US version.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

Not the US version.

yet..I'm told it's on the near horizon.  Also, they told me the first gen GFs used off the shelf parts.  There will be new ones soon with custom made parts that work much better.  When, I dunno.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

yet..I'm told it's on the near horizon.  Also, they told me the first gen GFs used off the shelf parts.  There will be new ones soon with custom made parts that work much better.  When, I dunno.

I think it is a cool product and 220v would make it more robust IMO but I do understand all the issues that 220v equipment provide especially on the consumer end.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:13 AM

I think it is a cool product and 220v would make it more robust IMO but I do understand all the issues that 220v equipment provide especially on the consumer end.

Yep.  It's actually not TOO bad at 120v, but it was the incentive to use a hybrid system.  I got to brew on a 240v system in NZ and it was great.  They hinted at 240v for US units soon, as well as a more robust heating element.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users