Photo

Has anyone ever given an underperforming employee a Performance Plan?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 wepurr

wepurr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6491 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

Because I have an employee who is refusing to sign his, saying it’s not fair that he is being evaluated when everyone else does the same things.

- I’m getting the distinct feeling that the “refusal” is grounds for immediate termination.

Why? HR has specifically asked me twice to confirm “is the employee refusing to sign?” Then replying “thank you for confirming.”

Something is going down. And it might be tomorrow.

Edited by weeper0, 31 May 2018 - 03:32 PM.

#2 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68124 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

At my job if you're put on such a plan it's code for "next round of layoffs, you're gone." Thankfully I have never been subject to requiring improvement. :P

#3 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=ZFhubbRugak

#4 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

Are other employees also doing said behavior in your employ?

Not signing is a pretty big feck you. If he's got proof, it's gonna be harder. If not, make an example of him. If others are doing the same thing and they don't get a write up, you're up shit creek on this one

Edited by Humperdink, 31 May 2018 - 03:52 PM.

#5 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:01 PM

Btw, he's gong to continue said habits until you make him see the light. Along with anyone else in your employ that is doing the same. Pardon the vulgarity, but sometimes you have to lay the dick down. Problem employees beget more. You are the boss, right? Own that role. Dick down R. I know you can. A little attitude adjustment for your employees may be needed. #feckWanda

Edited by Humperdink, 31 May 2018 - 04:02 PM.

#6 wepurr

wepurr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6491 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

Are other employees also doing said behavior in your employ?

Not signing is a pretty big feck you. If he's got proof, it's gonna be harder. If not, make an example of him. If others are doing the same thing and they don't get a write up, you're up shit creek on this one

3 of them in the same department are all on the same plan.

I just can’t discuss that with him.
They all suck at their job. And now it’s time to pay the weeper

#7 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8818 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

3 of them in the same department are all on the same plan.

I just can’t discuss that with him.
They all suck at their job. And now it’s time to pay the weeper

Sounds like it is time for management to do a better job of training.

#8 wepurr

wepurr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6491 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

Btw, he's gong to continue said habits until you make him see the light. Along with anyone else in your employ that is doing the same. Pardon the vulgarity, but sometimes you have to lay the dick down. Problem employees beget more. You are the boss, right? Own that role. Dick down R. I know you can. A little attitude adjustment for your employees may be needed. #feckWanda

Ha.You know what’s weird? I came in on a scheduled day off to deliver the “performance plan” to all three of them. They’ve all been given verbal after verbal warning since Feb 1. Last time, I kindly told them all (individually) that this written crap was the next step. When I walked in the door, unexpected, they looked terrified.

They didn’t believe me. But I do not care. I will always give you enough rope to hang yiurself. That’s all you, meows.

I’ve also learned that I have this amazing way of spinning all bad news into a positive when I deliver it. As in “you come through this with flying colors, do everything you’re supposed to do on the plan, and you get more respect from management.”

2 of them bought that crap.

Edited by weeper0, 31 May 2018 - 04:16 PM.

#9 wepurr

wepurr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6491 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

Sounds like it is time for management to do a better job of training.

Ah, if you only knew about the last year of my life with them, prior to being their manager.

The nice thing is ...I told my boss last summer they would never be able to handle the level of work she was expecting of them. What a process this has been. So at least I know my instincts are right.

Then again, she was trying to teach advanced chemistry to 4th graders.

Edited by weeper0, 31 May 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#10 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Lay it. Insubordination can not be tolerated. If you can document the behavior, you're safe. Are you union? How many write ups before you can terminate? Use this tool as a message. Fear the Weeper. A loving hand is great, but only for those who are willing to listen.

I remember the first time I gave to lay it down on an employee. I got undermined by my boss after she was out of line on a meeting. My hands were shaking with anger through the meeting. But professionalism is key. I held her back after the meeting, my boss asked if he should stay.

A resounding no. I laid it out. Do the same if you have to. That was just a warning. Calm but firm. And watch how you word things. They can use it against you. Best of luck tomorrow.

Edited by Humperdink, 31 May 2018 - 04:23 PM.

#11 wepurr

wepurr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6491 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:23 PM

Lay it. Insubordination can not be tolerated. If you can document the behavior, you're safe. Are you union? How many write ups before you can terminate? Use this tool as a message. Fear the Weeper. A loving hand is great, but only for those who are willing to listen.

I remember the first time I gaff to lay it down on an employee. I got undermined by my boss after she was out of line. My hands were shaking with anger through the meeting. But professionalism is key. I held het back after the meeting, my boss asked if he should stay.

A resounding no. I laid it out. Do the same if you have to. That was just a warning. Calm but firm. And watch how you word things. They can use it against you. Best of luck tomorrow.

That’s what my manager said, she supports this because of the “message it sends.” To the team.

Shape up, jerkfaces

#12 PermanentHiatus

PermanentHiatus

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22186 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

have you consulted london?

:P

but, yeah...refusal to sign a pip is insubordination and grounds for termination.

#13 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8818 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

Ah, if you only knew about the last year of my life with them, prior to being their manager.

The nice thing is ...I told my boss last summer they would never be able to handle the level of work she was expecting of them. What a process this has been. So at least I know my instincts are right.

Then again, she was trying to teach advanced chemistry to 4th graders.

It is really simple, train the people you have if they are not capable of the job then let them go and do a better job of hiring. As a manager you are only as good as the people that work for you. Hire the right people, train them and support them as best you can.

#14 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

Line up or find out how bad it can be. Fear the Weeper. Their choice. Your job to make that call. Be a good employee or find another job, quick, because you're last paycheck is in the mail.

It is really simple, train the people you have if they are not capable of the job then let them go and do a better job of hiring. As a manager you are only as good as the people that work for you. Hire the right people, train them and support them as best you can.

What about those you inherit? Good training is great, but, inherited problems are just that. You don't always get to pick your team.

#15 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8818 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

Line up or find out how bad it can be. Fear the Weeper. Their choice. Your job to make that call. Be a good employee or find another job, quick, because you're last paycheck is in the mail.

What about those you inherit? Good training is great, but, inherited problems are just that. You don't always get to pick your team.

Same, train first. If they are not capable move on and hire better people.

#16 PermanentHiatus

PermanentHiatus

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22186 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

so...you were formerly at the same level as them? that may be part of the problem.

#17 PermanentHiatus

PermanentHiatus

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22186 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

this...terminating one or two may shake the rest of the team up enough to change things. otherwise, weep may have to start over.

#18 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

Often easier said, depending on the field and HR. the ones i brought oon were awesome. My inherited... pain in the nuts. Union job. That job could have run like a German clock had i had my pick. You play the hand you are dealt.

#19 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

Special High Intensity Training
In order to assure the highest levels of quality work and productivity from members, it will be our policy to keep all members well trained through our program of SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING (S.H.I.T)

We are trying to give our members more S.H.I.T than anyone else. If you feel that you do not receive your share of S.H.I.T on the course, please see your Duke. You will be immediately placed at the top of the S.H.I.T list, and our Vice Dukes are especially skilled at seeing you get all the S.H I.T. you can handle.

Members who don't take S H I.T. will be placed in DEPARTMENTAL EMERGENCY EVALUATION PROGRAMS (D.E.E.P.S.H.I.T).

Those who fail to take D.E.E.P.S.H.I.T seriously will have to go to EXTRA ATTITUDE TRAINING (E.A.T.S.H.I.T). Since our Vice Dukes took S.H.I.T before they were promoted, they don't have to do S.H.I.T anymore, and are all full of S.H.I.T already. If you are full of S.H.I.T, you may be interested in a job teaching others. We can add your name to our BASIC UNDERSTANDING LIST of LEADERS (B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T).

For members who are intending to pursue a career in management and consulting, we will refer you to the department of MANAGERIAL OPERATIONAL RESEARCH EDUCATION (M.O.R.E.S.H.I.T). This course emphasizes how to manage M.O.R.E.S.H.I.T

If you have further questions, please direct them to our HEAD OF TEACHING, 
SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING (H.O.T.S.H.I.T).

Thank you. 

#20 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

That’s what my manager said, she supports this because of the “message it sends.” To the team.

Shape up, jerkfaces

I will say, said employee was on good behavior for about a few months. Then it kicked up again. Last I heard, she's got two write ups. One more is termination. Pissing up the wrong rope with what would be my new boss. If you have support, you can get difficulties dealt with. My old boss never wanted me. Actually told me that when he offered the job. The higher ups did. I wanted to provide for my family, so I took it. And here I sit. Busted. But not broken except a couple ribs. I got tired of the game. Here's the hardest, most shit job, let's give it to the guy we know can handle. It took its toll. Be careful. 16 to 19 hour days suck. Add in insomnia... it turned in two years. Shitty thing was, I was really good at what I did. I was a worker.

Hell even before i got hired, my testing, they pulled me in and asked wtf? It took us hours to figure out what that formula was. I told them i spent 50 minutes of the test writing the formula then applied it to the entire spreadsheet. Hired.

Edited by Humperdink, 31 May 2018 - 05:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users