#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

If I run them through the dishwasher with no soap will they be beer clean? These are all reasonably clean right now.

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

You have a sanitize mode? I don't see why not.

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

use some oxyclean

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

use some oxyclean

In the dishwasher? Also would I need to clean the dishwasher first? Not sure if there are residual oils or soap in there that would cause a problem.

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

In the dishwasher? Also would I need to clean the dishwasher first? Not sure if there are residual oils or soap in there that would cause a problem.

I'm just guessing but I wouldn't bother cleaning the dishwasher first...I mean, if there is visible food gunk or something, but it it looks clean I wouldn't bother. And I would totally use oxyclean too.

Or you can use borax if you've got it. I feel like I used to do something like borax, salt, and a drop of dish soap when I ran out of actual dishwashing detergent. I could be wrong about that though.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

Sometimes my beer glasses end up in the dishwasher without me knowing and that would be WITH a dishwasher detergent tab in there.  They come out fine that way, IMO.  I generally wash them by hand and if I do that it's a sponge, liquid dish soap and hot water... clean, rinse well with hot water and then upside-down on a towel or something to air dry.  That's pretty much what a dishwasher might do for you although I feel like the DW leaves more spots on the glasses than I get with a hand wash.  

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

The problem I had with the dishwasher in the past is the glass doesn't appear to be beer clean as in lots of bubbles sticking to the inside walls indicating crud or oils or something.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

I broke down and bought a small tub, a bar glass cleaner with a suction cup bottom, and a drying rack. When i have 6 or so beer glasses i fill the tub with hot water and put a little pbw in it. Wash and rinse then dry on the rack. I bought a nice display case for my glasses so i go to a bit of an extreme and i wear nitrile gloves to put the dry glasses away so i dont get finger prints on them. I have a problem...

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

I broke down and bought a small tub, a bar glass cleaner with a suction cup bottom, and a drying rack. When i have 6 or so beer glasses i fill the tub with hot water and put a little pbw in it. Wash and rinse then dry on the rack. I bought a nice display case for my glasses so i go to a bit of an extreme and i wear nitrile gloves to put the dry glasses away so i dont get finger prints on them. I have a problem...

LOL.  yeah, these are just for a party and I want the glasses to look good for my guests but I doubt they would notice an exterior finger print :D

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:20 AM

There are DW tabs with a special glass-cleaning agent that results in less water spots although they don't work as well as when I hand-wash the glasses.  How many glasses are we talking about?  I would probably just fill the sink with hot water and some liquid soap, clean them all by hand with a sponge, rinse them in hot water and put them upside down on a towel to dry and eventually put then right-side-up so the condensation dries up and call it a day.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:47 AM

I think 20 or so.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:01 AM

Yeah, I'd probably just wash them myself but then again I'm used to doing things by hand.  :lol:  Ha, I thought this was the PH.  

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:08 AM

My plan is to try running them with the oxiclean and then test one out for beer cleanness. If that fails I'll commence with the washing by hand.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

I love Oxi for cleaning brewery equipment but I feel like it leaves a bit of a hazy white film on things so I make sure that I wash & rinse everything (that I can get my hands on) really well.  I have never used Oxi in the DW with beer glasses so I'm no help there.  Also, my water tends to feck things up... faucets, shower heads & glass shower doors, glassware, etc. so I'm overly careful.  Softer water may play a role in how well the DW does on glassware.  

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

I am just curious about using oxi clean in the DW.  I had never thought about trying that.

Other than that nothing to add.  I have one of the scrubby things like Schwanz mentioned. 

Go all out and get some res Solo cups!!  'Murica - Hell Yeah!

#16 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

I am just curious about using oxi clean in the DW. I had never thought about trying that.

Other than that nothing to add. I have one of the scrubby things like Schwanz mentioned.

Go all out and get some res Solo cups!! 'Murica - Hell Yeah!

I'm not a afraid of pulling out the Solo cups. If I'm having 20 people over for sure. But I got a pool next to my bar so excessive glass worries me sometime.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

I have the Solo cups just in case.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:33 AM

I'm not a afraid of pulling out the Solo cups. If I'm having 20 people over for sure. But I got a pool next to my bar so excessive glass worries me sometime.

Oh trust me, I am not above the Solo cup!  I do not trust a lot of people with glass!

I have the Solo cups just in case.

:cheers:

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

I'll use Solo cups if there is going to be a lot of people here drinking draft beer... I just get the clear, 16oz version.  

#20 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:03 AM

so what did you do and how did it work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users