8 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26267 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

I have a Cubs / Old Style Beer neon sign that is now only partially lighting.  Last night it was sort of half-lit and I tapped on it and everything lit up.  Tonight there is less stuff lit and it seems to be getting worse.  Anyone know of the best way to troubleshoot?  Try to do it myself?  Take it to a pro?  

#2 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14460 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

Take it to a pro. The glass is very fragile and the electronics are not available to mortal men. Could be just the ballast but it could need a neon top off.

#3 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8136 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

That.
The electronics are not magic, but if it it's not in your wheelhouse...
http://www.neonshopfishtail.com/

#4 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1260 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

I have this in my basement. It used to be in one of the art studios at Hallmark Cards (known as the Blue Moon Studio). When the owner retired, he gave it to me. Fortunately, it works, but I need to rewire it with some properly rated wire. The wires on this are only rated for 600VAC. The transformer is 20KV, if I remember correctly.

27310038367_00779ee333_z.jpg

#5 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26267 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

I found a place that is relatively close to me so I guess I'll call over there and explain the situation.  Their website has a number of pictures showing GIANT neon signs on top of huge buildings, etc. so not sure if they'll find my project too small or what.  Thanks gang.  

#6 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33241 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:23 AM

I have a Cubs / Old Style Beer neon sign that is now only partially lighting.  Last night it was sort of half-lit and I tapped on it and everything lit up.  Tonight there is less stuff lit and it seems to be getting worse.  Anyone know of the best way to troubleshoot?  Try to do it myself?  Take it to a pro?  

I'd throw it out and buy a bigger garbage can to throw bigger stuff out with to put in its place.  

#7 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

If it's lighting at all, the tubes are still sealed, that's good. But you could have bad electrodes, that would require glass work and refilling the tube. Ballasts (transformers ) for beer signs are available on eBay pretty cheaply. 

#8 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26267 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

If it's lighting at all, the tubes are still sealed, that's good. But you could have bad electrodes, that would require glass work and refilling the tube. Ballasts (transformers ) for beer signs are available on eBay pretty cheaply. 

Mmm, good point.  No reason to repair this thing if I could find a new one cheaper.  My inlaws gave it to me after winning it in some sort of raffle.

#9 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33241 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:57 AM

Mmm, good point.  No reason to repair this thing if I could find a new one cheaper.  My inlaws gave it to me after winning it in some sort of raffle.

Thanks Vagus!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users